Frontier why ...

No doubt that if you encounter game stopping bugs or glitches it is fantastically annoying made even more infuriating when they remain but a little context is required.

Here’s a thing I remind myself of regularly. I’m now 50 years old. We didn’t get a landline telephone in our house until I was 14. If you had told me then that I’d be able to download a game through (essentially) the telephone line that would allow me to travel a universe of over 400 billion stars WITH other people from all over the world I’m not sure I would have believed you. But here we are. The technology is incredible. It will have flaws. Our expectations have been ramped up to the max in this area. We take so much for granted without thinking just how miraculous it really is.
Every time my vehicle breaks down on the side of the road for no good reason, I just get out and praise the Lord that I'm not forced to ride horse like my great, great grandfather. I don't care if my car is a lemon, I won't complain to the dealer, and I'll not go shopping for a better one because I am THANKFUL for the miraculous age we live in!

Geeesh... [stops before saying something I'll regret]

Paige Harvey

Community Manager
Thanks for keeping us up to date with all your findings, Commanders! In regards to the orbit issue, we're currently working on this and will update you when we have further information! Hold tight.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
In the year or so I’ve been playing this version (on PS4), I’ve come across a couple of bugs (I think they’re bugs). They haven’t stopped me playing, just been annoying or, interestingly, fruitful.

One is recalling my ship from the SRV. It has a couple times just hovered inches from the floor trying to land but cant. Some sort of texture issue or something. The only solution is to drive away so the ship naturally dismisses itself as the option where you do this in the SRV is locked on “Ship Approaching”.

Last night, twice, I recalled the ship and it landed fine but there was a small hill directly under the boarding hatch meaning there was no way to physically get in the right place to board. So I had to dismiss it to recall it again to land elsewhere.

Finally, I did a couple of missions last night of recovering escape pods. As I approach the planet the search zone is highlighted, I select it, land by it (after that annoying searchlight thing it does of moving). I get in the SRV, collect the pods and the 6 or so canisters of gold, palladium etc. When I collect the pods the mission message comes up, “Goods collected, bring ‘em home’. I return to my ship, keep on trucking following my scanner and find a duplicate crash site with pods marked in blue as mission related, more valuable canisters. I collect it all. Weird and financially pleasing. As I said, a year or so of playing. Maybe I’m lucky but they’re not game stoppers.

I played a ton of Skyrim on the PS (3 & 4), it has more bugs than the American Embassy in Moscow. To this day my son can still get beneath the textures in Winterhold, float in space underground and find a chest filled with goodies. You could do that on PS3 & 4. They carried the bug to the new console. Happily it’s not a game stopper but it had some. I seem to remember one of the Fallout titles forced me to restart because of a game stopper and Red Dead 1 (I seem to remember) had parts where completion of one side mission scuppered the game if done in the wrong order.

I can only talk from personal experience, the worst thing about ED for me is my own abilities (I’m rubbish at combat, I’d be better using my feet than my hands). Yes it has some flaws but no more than other big titles I’ve played that have even swapped consoles and had them remaining.

No doubt that if you encounter game stopping bugs or glitches it is fantastically annoying made even more infuriating when they remain but a little context is required.

Here’s a thing I remind myself of regularly. I’m now 50 years old. We didn’t get a landline telephone in our house until I was 14. If you had told me then that I’d be able to download a game through (essentially) the telephone line that would allow me to travel a universe of over 400 billion stars WITH other people from all over the world I’m not sure I would have believed you. But here we are. The technology is incredible. It will have flaws. Our expectations have been ramped up to the max in this area. We take so much for granted without thinking just how miraculous it really is.

Having said all that, if I get bugged out to the point of not being able to transport 90 units of medicine for 9,000,000cr to ‘help’ in a health crisis, I’m going to have serious fit.

That is impossible. You surely must be lying through your teeth. Old Duck said this is the buggiest game he owns.

:p

That is impossible. You surely must be lying through your teeth. Old Duck said this is the buggiest game he owns.
It is. I bought Skyrim after the bugs* were fixed, so I don't have that nostalgia everyone gives as the boilerplate "It's okay for games to be buggy, just look at Skyrim!" excuse.

* Game-breaking extra double-plus annoying bugs. I don't count "run of the mill goofball" bugs in my score-keeping. I'd much rather have random elephants falling from the sky on rare occasion (Skyrim) than Elephant Butt Leather 24x7 (ED). Then there's the "I can't sell stuff until I research a hack because the menu is broken" bug that was introduced to ED while I was away. I've never encountered that in Skyrim...

But hey, don't let me spoil your love affair with the game! You're wife game is the prettiest girl in the room, honest!

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator

That is fine if that is your personal experience within the context of the other games that you own. The issue comes when you also try to generalize to the absolute.

But hey, don't let me spoil your love affair with the game! You're wife game is the prettiest girl in the room, honest!

Not really a love affair, it is just the fact of the matter 🤷‍♂️ . Other players, like XloubellXX etc, do not seem to have the same buggy experience that you seem to portray. By far.

All games have their share of bugs no doubt, and Elite is no exception (and thanks to @Paige Harvey for popping up in the thread!) but my experience of Elite is also very far from the doom´s day picture you paint.

Last edited:
Every time my vehicle breaks down on the side of the road for no good reason, I just get out and praise the Lord that I'm not forced to ride horse like my great, great grandfather. I don't care if my car is a lemon, I won't complain to the dealer, and I'll not go shopping for a better one because I am THANKFUL for the miraculous age we live in!

Geeesh... [stops before saying something I'll regret]

Like I said, peronal experience. Yours is different to mine. Your analogy doesn’t work, I understand what you’re saying but your great, great grandfather wasn’t playing console games. Therefore the time span is far shorter, to the tune of four lifetimes.

I get it, you loved this game and the continuing bad experience has ruined it for you. I’d almost say you were going through the grieving process, you possibly feel a loss. Stop being in denial and accept Frontier either wont or cant fix the problems you’re having.

I get it, you loved this game and the continuing bad experience has ruined it for you. I’d almost say you were going through the grieving process, you possibly feel a loss. Stop being in denial and accept Frontier either wont or cant fix the problems you’re having.
On this I agree with you, mostly. I'm no longer in denial regarding Frontier fixing the game for PS4, and I had actually "moved on" (until PS5) but then Frontier introduced this compelling narrative 'The Enclave' that brought me back into the game, and then these bugs reopened old wounds.

FWIW, I'm not angry about the OP's specific bug or my own 'chasing a drifting station' bug. These things happen. I'm more upset about things like the "I can't sell commodities through regular means because the GUI is broken on PS4 since at least April" bug. THAT is what makes me angry and frustrated, especially when it interferes with what now seems to be a compelling story that has drawn me back into the game.

I almost think I preferred it when I was bored with the game a couple of weeks ago, LOL.

Not really a love affair, it is just the fact of the matter 🤷‍♂️ . Other players, like XloubellXX etc, do not seem to have the same buggy experience that you seem to portray. By far.
Back before the new forum and bug tracker, I was very active in the bug report forum. Not only did I post bugs, I substantiated them with screenshots and videos. For every single bug I reported, other users confirmed their existence. THIS is a matter of fact. Now whether these bugs are a "big deal" or not I suppose is subjective, but let's not pretend that the gaming community just accepts that buggy software is normal. Anthem and Fallout 76 have generated way more negative feedback than anything I've posted about ED (though perhaps I win when it comes to witty banter). But for every Anthem there are a dozen Spider-Man, Overwatch, Red Dead Redemption 2 (which I've yet to encounter a game-breaking bug in), Horizon Zero Dawn, etc. and so forth that are no where near as buggy as a game like Elite. But I suppose if the only games people play are Elite, Star Citizen, and X4 Foundations, then of course you'll think Elite is "okay" when it comes to bugs.

Anyway, I'm tired of defending well-established facts. I would refer you to the new bug tracker, but a lot of us don't even report bugs anymore because of the new system, so even that is likely incomplete these days. So believe what you want, I frankly don't care anymore.

(However I do care if Frontier believes, and I'm thrilled that Paige and the team have been so responsive to recent glitches in 'The Enclave' - that's a good sign!)

Top Bottom