Frontier why ...

I’m on PS4, I don’t have this issue. I’m not calling you a liar, but how can that be?
See my post on the PS4 forum. I asked about this and the first response stated it is indeed bugged. If you have a secret to make the commodities interface 'just work' without having to do weird sidesteps and other hacks, please share on that thread. Believe me when I say I would LOVE to be proven wrong about every single bug that "bugs" me. So far this has not been the case, however. :(

Good job, Paige/Frontier for being so quick on fixing various small issues today!

I'm enjoying the second II so far and if feels great that things are happening in game and story-wise. 👍

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Back before the new forum and bug tracker, I was very active in the bug report forum. Not only did I post bugs, I substantiated them with screenshots and videos. For every single bug I reported, other users confirmed their existence. THIS is a matter of fact. Now whether these bugs are a "big deal" or not I suppose is subjective, but let's not pretend that the gaming community just accepts that buggy software is normal. Anthem and Fallout 76 have generated way more negative feedback than anything I've posted about ED (though perhaps I win when it comes to witty banter). But for every Anthem there are a dozen Spider-Man, Overwatch, Red Dead Redemption 2 (which I've yet to encounter a game-breaking bug in), Horizon Zero Dawn, etc. and so forth that are no where near as buggy as a game like Elite. But I suppose if the only games people play are Elite, Star Citizen, and X4 Foundations, then of course you'll think Elite is "okay" when it comes to bugs.

Anyway, I'm tired of defending well-established facts. I would refer you to the new bug tracker, but a lot of us don't even report bugs anymore because of the new system, so even that is likely incomplete these days. So believe what you want, I frankly don't care anymore.

(However I do care if Frontier believes, and I'm thrilled that Paige and the team have been so responsive to recent glitches in 'The Enclave' - that's a good sign!)

No one is pretending that the gaming community accepts that buggy software is normal so please do not build a false strawman around that.

But as it happens, and I mention again, most games have their shares of bugs (and Elite is no exception, thanks again Paige). That is factual indeed, but not news. The keys for this topic are both of an objective and subjective nature, i.e. how serious (game stoppers or not etc) are the bugs in general and how each individual player perceives them.

As mentioned and as per other testimonials above many players play Elite without serious hiccups, with equivalent stable experiences to the games you mentioned as example. My own personal experience is predominantlyt bug free, even when I compare to other games I play (not just space sims). The bugs I have encountered are for the most part so secondary that are not even worth bringing in to a serious discussion on a doom´s day scenario like yours seems to be. So obviously I have an issue with you trying to generalize to the absolute your personal experience.

Last edited:

This is the orbit of the rescue ship. The orbit that lies through the planet. Re-log or re-entering system will not fix the wrong orbit of the megaship.

See, this is the kind of thing I'd like to see FDev do deliberately... only better, of course.

Take marco Qwent's base, for example.
If Lucifer (his planet) was on an eccentric orbit which took it within the cones of Sirius B it'd make things a bit more interesting.
There'd be times when you couldn't access his base and, if you were really unlucky (or witless), it'd be possible to land there and get stuck until Lucifer's orbit carried it beyond the cones.

Course, that's just a simple example.
What'd be really interesting would be if stuff like, say, the Guardian sites were on eccentric orbits, which meant they were either inaccesible some of the time or that it'd be dangerous to be out on the surface at certain times.

Ideally, it'd be possible to set up something where surface POIs act in a special way while the planet is inside a star's "exclusion zone" (alien doodads recharging from solar energy etc?) so you'd need to plan your journey so you arrived just before the planet entered the exclusion zone, land on the night-side of the planet, ride the planet down into the star's exclusion zone, strange and wonderful things would start to happen and you'd constantly need to keep packing up your SRV and flying across the surface to remain on the night-side (to avoid cooking your SRV) until the planet cleared the star's exclusion zone again.

Because that bug is now fixed (just right after you posted this) and merely took a notification .. that should not have been made by me but made by the QA team, if it exists or is assigned to work on such things. And some more reasons I am not bothered to explain now. The bug got fixed and I am somewhat happy. Still baffled by how obvious this was and remained for days.
That is finding out that this particular error is simple after the fact. You stated with certainty that they were all simple before the fact as though you were an expert in the code of Elite. So, my question stands.

That is finding out that this particular error is simple after the fact. You stated with certainty that they were all simple before the fact as though you were an expert in the code of Elite. So, my question stands.

While I am obviously not a Frontier dev I have worked on multiple software projects in smaller teams in a variety of disciplines. So I am having a little mroe experience than the average user that has never been worked on a software project. This doesn't make me a master of any kind but it allowed me to develope an understanding of the difficulty of bugs to fix. And a simple pathing error, was indeed easy to fix. But then again I wasn't mainly complaining why such an easy to fix bug wasn't fixed. I was complaining about how such an easy to spot bug hasn't been noticed. And here I assumed that it wasn't noticed instead of being worked on (and thus noticed) because this bug persisted for over 2 days, which way too long for this easy to fix bug. If it would be a difficult bug to fix I'd have assumed they'd be working on it.

It took them just a few hours to add a station with shipyard. That's pretty fast. Last week firezone around the base was patched pretty quick too.

You just need to avoid playing Elite on thursdays and fridays so the frontline can soak up the bugs and the nonsense.

DeletedUser191218

D
Combat missions - assassinations especially- are a complete disaster and have been for ages. Have FDev ever offered an explanation as to why they don't actually fix this stuff? I realise all games have bugs but other developers at least attempt to fix them.

Just as a comparative example - EA Sports released a title update for Fifa 19 in Jun/July. After negative feedback on one of the responsiveness developments they have already fixed it and released a fresh patch. I've been raising this assassination mission bug since about September 2018. Why will FDev not fix it?

Top Bottom