Frontier Xtra March Questions

Chante Goodman

Community Manager
Frontier
Hi coaster friend!

As this month's Frontier Xtra livestream draws closer, we're looking for our Question of the Month!

What do you want to know about the games industry, Frontier itself, or the Community Managers/Developers? This is your chance to get some insight into the games industry as a whole, and learn all about what it's like, how to get into it or anything else you may be wondering. We dedicate this section of the stream to answering one of your questions, so providing it's relevant to the games industry, please put your questions in this thread and we'll pick this month's favourite to discuss.

If you're struggling for ideas on what to ask, previous questions have asked for information on different ways to get into the industry, what kind of preparation goes into a livestream and what's a day in the life of a Community Manager at Frontier.

The next Frontier Xtra is 22 March at 15:00 UTC, we can't wait to see you there!

Chanté [yesnod][heart]

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
I'm always interested in what a day in the life of a Community Manager at Frontier looks like. It is fascinating (at least to me) to learn what goes on in a day of a Community Manager, from the start to the finish and sometimes even beyond that, such as livestream preparation for the evening livestreams. :)

I guess my question is this:

What previously discarded items, coasters, rides or features are now being reconsidered now that PlanCo is entering maturity?

What is the process adding props into the game like? We saw some pirate lanterns already implemented into the game engine in some screenshot which never made it into the game. So, I'd like to know how and why the decision was made to add some props into the game or leave them out although all the work (designing, programming, implementing) already has been made and how chances are that they will find the way into the game one day?! the pirate lamps mentioned are just an example. In one screenshot we could see them in game and working - but they never showed up in the final game.

As those items (I guess there are more than just a couple of props) have already been made I wonder how big the effort would be to bring them into the game or for what reason it was decided to leave them out.[big grin]

Are there any official plans for tutorials , how to handle the TMT? Frontier left us pretty much alone with the tool, and without the great community, there would probably be hardly any object left.

And adding to Spanky's question: What is the secret ingredient.. I mean, procedure in making standard walls act like Frontier's? All TMT walls submitted are lacking that same attribute as the ones found in PlanCo, where you can easily mouse-move the wall to either side of a grid line, and there's no word on how to apply the hitcheck correctly to a wall.

Last edited:

Chante Goodman

Community Manager
Frontier
Are there any official plans for tutorials , how to handle the TMT? Frontier left us pretty much alone with the tool, and without the great community, there would probably be hardly any object left.

What kind of tutorial are you looking for? The TMT deep dive livestream and the website both include tutorials.

What kind of tutorial are you looking for? The TMT deep dive livestream and the website both include tutorials.

The Deep Dive Livesteam just scratched the surface. Nobody went right down there really into deep of object creation. Many things were first made by community members like Mrs.RedNebula (SarrahW), Pixelated, Helena or WhatsUP LucasUP? found out. If Frontier's tutorials were the only ones on the net, we'd probably almost only have cubes in the workshop (sorry for the little sarcasm).

And adding to Spanky's question: What is the secret ingredient.. I mean, procedure in making standard walls act like Frontier's? All TMT walls submitted are lacking that same attribute as the ones found in PlanCo, where you can easily mouse-move the wall to either side of a grid line, and there's no word on how to apply the hitcheck correctly to a wall.

These are exactly the questions that I would like to have explained ... and as a supplement ...

How do the artists at Frontier handle the problem with backface culling?

How to create the different textures (Ambient Oclusion as an example) and, most importantly, how to use them correctly?

Or in other words ... a tutorial that introduces us to an artist from Frontier using Blender through the process of creating an object.

With the exception of the one livestream and the rather vague "tutorials", you served us the Thememaker's Toolkit without further support.

Last edited:
it would be neat to have a once a week or once every two weeks stream where one of the artists/modelers create a new piece for the game and add it to the workshop so we can see how they do it.. plus it adds more to the game officially.. unofficially.

I would sooner watch that than another workshop wonderland featuring the same people almost everytime with high fantasy pieces that are maybe pretty to look at but completely unrealistic for any real park.

It would also be something really unique that no other game company has done.

Last edited:
Top Bottom