News Frontier Xtra - Question of the Month - March

StefanOS

Volunteer Moderator
Do the DEVS see any chance to resolve the problems the PEER to PEER network has - or is a change to SERVER BASED network needed to get more stable multiplay elements (bigger wings, more stable multicrew, instancing limitations) in ED?

Last edited:
Three and a half years after buying a lifetime pass instead of just pre-ordering Horizons I'm super pumped up to find out whether FDev intend to produce enough premium updates to make the purchase worthwhile. My motivation and 'passion' steadily increases and it's becoming increasingly difficult to contain my excitement about just how good I will feel about this purchase and the value for money it will turn out to have represented when the servers are finally switched off.

I like this game, I've played various Elite-style games on & off for over a third of a century, I find it cathartic to escape to a different life. I'll still be playing in a couple of years, I'll probably be among those wanting an off-line version when that time comes but from my perspective the relationship has soured significantly, there is a loss of trust. For a customer that bought only the base game & Horizons expansion I see little cause for frustration apart from bug fixes and some poor or rushed design & implementation. Overall it is a very good game.

There is no easy path to get from how some customers feel now to a better place. For me it would be easy, I no longer trust FDev is able to deliver good value for what I bought, they can just refund the value not redeemed on my 2015 Lifetime Pass and most of my issues will be gone, leaving only the needless removal of existing features and the ongoing issue of cheating in a shared environment to be addressed.

I would be interested to know how FDev plans to regain some of that lost trust, why customers should stick around & continue to buy skins from the Frontier shop instead of buying skins from some other game company while waiting for the next big thing from Frontier. Does Frontier recognise this issue? Maybe it isn't an issue at all? I'd be interested to know what they think.

Last edited:
Hello Commanders,

As this month's Frontier Xtra livestream draws closer, we're looking for our Question of the Month!

What do you want to know about the games industry, Frontier itself, or the Community Managers/Developers? This is your chance to get some insight into the games industry as a whole, and learn all about what it's like, how to get into it or anything else you may be wondering. We dedicate this section of the stream to answering one of your questions, so providing it's relevant to the games industry, please put your questions in this thread and we'll pick this month's favourite to discuss.

If you're struggling for ideas on what to ask, previous questions have asked for information on different ways to get into the industry, what kind of preparation goes into a livestream, and what's a day in the life of a Community Manager at Frontier.

The next Frontier Xtra is 22 March at 15:00 UTC, we can't wait to see you there!
To get perhaps a foothold in some of the remaining known mysteries of the game. Why is Tarlak missing from CD-73 253 even tho it’s descrived as having it in game, and is the system named Soontill in the game the actual Soontill. Because it sure doesn’t seem to match the cannon.

My question: What is the technical feasibility of Frontier licensing use of the engine and assets developed for Elite Dangerous to other development teams who want to create space games?
Never mind Frontier's company policy, willingness, or legalities surrounding this question for the moment, I'm just interested in knowing whether it's something that, if Frontier wanted to go down that path, would be usable and feasible on a technical level.

Thanks.

Sure, just hand over the source code.

But why would they ever do that?

For a new income stream.

Also, they would have options in how they package it, and it would likely be the bare bones of the engine with whatever tools they have or create, so not the source code of the specific game design of Elite.

Not so much a question of the month, more a feature suggestion: "Bugged or Intentional"

Each month you can answer a question about some aspect of the game where people are repeatedly raising the same issue, or where the game is unclear, for instance:

"Launching from a planet resets pips to 4-0-2 - Bugged or Intentional?"
(In this case apparently the devs have said it is intentional - why not a short clip of them explaining the rationale)

"There's no shipyard at Explorer's Anchorage - Bugged or Intentional?"
(Intentional - would be nice to understand why)

"Eagle Eye targets having no NHSS, and still being attacked - Bugged or Intentional?"
(No idea what the answer is here)

"It's almost impossible to get systems in the Famine state now - Bugged or Intentional?"

"Contents of High Grade Signal Sources now seems mostly random - Bugged or Intentional?"

Last edited:
Have I got it right that we can ask any question relating to Frontier or the industry as long as it's not directly on any aspect of the games?

Not so much a question of the month, more a feature suggestion: "Bugged or Intentional"

Each month you can answer a question about some aspect of the game where people are repeatedly raising the same issue, or where the game is unclear, for instance:

"Launching from a planet resets pips to 4-0-2 - Bugged or Intentional?"
(In this case apparently the devs have said it is intentional - why not a short clip of them explaining the rationale)

"There's no shipyard at Explorer's Anchorage - Bugged or Intentional?"
(Intentional - would be nice to understand why)

"Eagle Eye targets having no NHSS, and still being attacked - Bugged or Intentional?"

"It's almost impossible to get systems in the Famine state now - Bugged or Intentional?"

"Contents of High Grade Signal Sources now seems mostly random - Bugged or Intentional?"
A cowled figure (who looks suspiciously like DBOBE in an old dressing gown with a hood) shuffles into view. He raises a hand, moves it from left to right, and speaks, "These are not the questions you want answered".

How many undiscovered Mystery Things(TM) are left in Elite? Either by approximate number or percentage of the total mystery objects?
This question was answered with how much of the galaxy was explored, which is not quite the same thing. Oh well.

Might have to be much more specific in formulating the question next time, it seems! It wouldn't be difficult to say that 'you have found 29.5% of megaships, mystery planets, hidden bases'.

I had a thought during the stream (unsurprisingly unanswered) - are there a finite amount of hand crafted stellar phenomena or ... could it be that the phenomena (and the names for the phenomena) are procedurally generated? There's certainly something very fractal about all the different forms. It was a comment about them not really knowing what was out there themselves that made me wonder this.

I had a thought during the stream (unsurprisingly unanswered) - are there a finite amount of hand crafted stellar phenomena or ... could it be that the phenomena (and the names for the phenomena) are procedurally generated? There's certainly something very fractal about all the different forms. It was a comment about them not really knowing what was out there themselves that made me wonder this.
This gets my vote.

So - anyone care to tell us what question(s) was (were) addressed and any answers that might have been given?

Last edited:
So - anyone care to tell us what question(s) was (were) addressed and any answers that might have been given?
I can only vouch for my own question - "How many undiscovered Mystery Things(TM) are left in Elite? Either by approximate number or percentage of the total mystery objects?" - which was answered by the percentage of the galaxy we had explored, which was 0.0384% I think. They avoided the question. I should probably have seen that one coming.

Top Bottom