News Frontier Xtra - Question of the Month - March

Sure, just hand over the source code.

But why would they ever do that?

For a new income stream.

Also, they would have options in how they package it, and it would likely be the bare bones of the engine with whatever tools they have or create, so not the source code of the specific game design of Elite.

Not so much a question of the month, more a feature suggestion: "Bugged or Intentional"

Each month you can answer a question about some aspect of the game where people are repeatedly raising the same issue, or where the game is unclear, for instance:

"Launching from a planet resets pips to 4-0-2 - Bugged or Intentional?"
(In this case apparently the devs have said it is intentional - why not a short clip of them explaining the rationale)

"There's no shipyard at Explorer's Anchorage - Bugged or Intentional?"
(Intentional - would be nice to understand why)

"Eagle Eye targets having no NHSS, and still being attacked - Bugged or Intentional?"
(No idea what the answer is here)

"It's almost impossible to get systems in the Famine state now - Bugged or Intentional?"

"Contents of High Grade Signal Sources now seems mostly random - Bugged or Intentional?"

Last edited:
Not so much a question of the month, more a feature suggestion: "Bugged or Intentional"

Each month you can answer a question about some aspect of the game where people are repeatedly raising the same issue, or where the game is unclear, for instance:

"Launching from a planet resets pips to 4-0-2 - Bugged or Intentional?"
(In this case apparently the devs have said it is intentional - why not a short clip of them explaining the rationale)

"There's no shipyard at Explorer's Anchorage - Bugged or Intentional?"
(Intentional - would be nice to understand why)

"Eagle Eye targets having no NHSS, and still being attacked - Bugged or Intentional?"

"It's almost impossible to get systems in the Famine state now - Bugged or Intentional?"

"Contents of High Grade Signal Sources now seems mostly random - Bugged or Intentional?"

A cowled figure (who looks suspiciously like DBOBE in an old dressing gown with a hood) shuffles into view. He raises a hand, moves it from left to right, and speaks, "These are not the questions you want answered".

How many undiscovered Mystery Things(TM) are left in Elite? Either by approximate number or percentage of the total mystery objects?

This question was answered with how much of the galaxy was explored, which is not quite the same thing. Oh well.

Might have to be much more specific in formulating the question next time, it seems! It wouldn't be difficult to say that 'you have found 29.5% of megaships, mystery planets, hidden bases'.

I had a thought during the stream (unsurprisingly unanswered) - are there a finite amount of hand crafted stellar phenomena or ... could it be that the phenomena (and the names for the phenomena) are procedurally generated? There's certainly something very fractal about all the different forms. It was a comment about them not really knowing what was out there themselves that made me wonder this.

I had a thought during the stream (unsurprisingly unanswered) - are there a finite amount of hand crafted stellar phenomena or ... could it be that the phenomena (and the names for the phenomena) are procedurally generated? There's certainly something very fractal about all the different forms. It was a comment about them not really knowing what was out there themselves that made me wonder this.
This gets my vote.

So - anyone care to tell us what question(s) was (were) addressed and any answers that might have been given?

Last edited:
So - anyone care to tell us what question(s) was (were) addressed and any answers that might have been given?

I can only vouch for my own question - "How many undiscovered Mystery Things(TM) are left in Elite? Either by approximate number or percentage of the total mystery objects?" - which was answered by the percentage of the galaxy we had explored, which was 0.0384% I think. They avoided the question. I should probably have seen that one coming.

Top Bottom