Frontier's Annual Results have been published (June 2018 to May 2019), showing a record year and Elite passing 3 million basegame sales

Besides, 3 millions units sold does not say anything about active players right now. Nobody knows that number for sure.

Why should they - from a cold business point of view - if a steady flow of new players keeps the game growing?
btw, no one has mentioned steam charts yet in this thread. Are they broken?
Elite Dangerous

playing 9 min ago

24-hour peak

all-time peak

Just have a look at steam stats to get an idea. Or twitch streams. Or YT vids. Console most played. etc.
If it's worse than Anthem's numbers you can start worrying.

I see where you’re going, but I don’t think we can compare Anthem’s problems to Elite. Elite is a small game from a small developer targeted to a niche audience. It can’t be measured against AAA blockbuster titles designed for mass appeal, even ones that were critical failures. That’s like comparing a terrible year for Aston Martin sales to Morgan.

People have run rough number crunches in the past using publicly available info, though. What they always find is that the active PC player base appears strong. PC seems quite safe.

Active console numbers are always much, much weaker. But since we don’t know anything about what overhead costs FDev associates with console it’s impossible to say whether that’s a cause for concern.

*edited for clarity

Last edited:
These aren’t good metrics. Elite is a small game from a small developer targeted to a niche audience. It can’t be compared to AAA blockbuster titles designed for mass appeal, even ones that performed worse than expectations. That’s like comparing Aston Martin sales to Morgan.
Kind of... yeah there are company that even after a huge fiasco they're still in the business and other companies that close immediately after. At the moment Frontier is the second type in my opinion.
BUT
Growing numbers are stil growing numbers so everything's good so far.

Top Bottom