Frontier's Annual Results have been published (June 2018 to May 2019), showing a record year and Elite passing 3 million basegame sales

Why not wing up with some real people?
I play with friends now and then but NPC's are available and do what I want when I want and can fulfill their role without needing to be entertained.
Also if done lime in the DDF they would each have their own back stories with possible missions attached to them. There would also be RPG elements with different quality of NPC with training etc for some long term play.
I get many players prefer playing with real people. I guess I am a bit of a dinosaur in that for me MP with friends is the icing on the cake, MP with randoms holds no interest to me at all, and single player gaming with NPC's is the cake

I didn’t really mean it. Please don’t condescend educate any more...
So you already knew what Season means and yet you decided to ignore it because you'd rather be angry at Frontier for some irrational reason?

Somehow... I’m surprised precisely this much: not at all.

Perhaps I don’t hold FDev in such low regard as to think they didn’t intend to meet a quarterly release schedule for Horizons. I don’t think Mr B said “Winter is Coming” while secretly giggling at misleading all his customers.

It's possible that they originally intended to meet a quarterly release schedule for Horizons. It's also possible they didn't, hence no release date for 2.4 unlike the other updates. That doesn't have anything to do with the term Season though. And neither has 'Winter is coming', which wasn't related to Horizons but to the question if we are going to see Thargoids in the game. It's pretty clear that this was a reference to the White Walkers from Game of Thrones, which share some familiarities with the Thargoids. I don't think he was secretly giggling about misleading his customers, he probably just didn't anticipate that some people don't know much about pop culture. It's just like people deliberately misinterpreting the term Season, although their interpretation is completely irrational.

bCpXCcx.jpg

So you already knew what Season means and yet you decided to ignore it because you'd rather be angry at Frontier for some irrational reason?
You saw anger in my posts? Really? I thought I was pointing out how it may have been slightly possible that people could’ve thought Winter 2016 for 2.4 was a reasonable expectation.
It's possible that they originally intended to meet a quarterly release schedule for Horizons. It's also possible they didn't, hence no release date for 2.4 unlike the other updates. That doesn't have anything to do with the term Season though. And neither has 'Winter is coming', which wasn't related to Horizons but to the question if we are going to see Thargoids in the game. It's pretty clear that this was a reference to the White Walkers from Game of Thrones, which share some familiarities with the Thargoids. I don't think he was secretly giggling about misleading his customers, he probably just didn't anticipate that some people don't know much about pop culture. It's just like people deliberately misinterpreting the term Season, although their interpretation is completely irrational.
I’d say it was very possible FDev were aiming for a quarterly release schedule - the clue being Spring, Summer & Autumn being on the original 2.1 to 2.3 descriptions. I thought 2.4 was going to be Thargoids, and a staggered release over 2017 (hence the lack of a time frame) before possibly releasing The Next Big Thing around Winter 2017.

Stuff happened at FDev, delays happened, plans got changed and the timeframe extended. But to now look back and say it’s players’ expectations that are somehow at fault? Misinterpreted & irrational?

I disagree.

You saw anger in my posts? Really? I thought I was pointing out how it may have been slightly possible that people could’ve thought Winter 2016 for 2.4 was a reasonable expectation.

I’d say it was very possible FDev were aiming for a quarterly release schedule - the clue being Spring, Summer & Autumn being on the original 2.1 to 2.3 descriptions. I thought 2.4 was going to be Thargoids, and a staggered release over 2017 (hence the lack of a time frame) before possibly releasing The Next Big Thing around Winter 2017.

Stuff happened at FDev, delays happened, plans got changed and the timeframe extended. But to now look back and say it’s players’ expectations that are somehow at fault? Misinterpreted & irrational?

I disagree.
I just pointed out what the term Season means. And what the 'winter is coming' quote referred to. If people based their expectations on that, yes, they are at fault. You know, there are better things to base your expectations on. Like release schedules. There were several delays during Horizons (which is pretty much industry standard), but that's completely unrelated to the term Season.

I was just about to make a new forum post asking about the long-term viability of this game. Apparently this little Elite community is going strong despite having virtually ZERO media coverage or promotion. Nice. I can't wait for future updates... especially being able to walk around my ship like an FPS.

I just pointed out what the term Season means. And what the 'winter is coming' quote referred to. If people based their expectations on that, yes, they are at fault. You know, there are better things to base your expectations on. Like release schedules. There were several delays during Horizons (which is pretty much industry standard), but that's completely unrelated to the term Season.
I agree. Like a release schedule that stated Spring, Summer & Autumn (& “soon” for 2.4) releases for Horizons, that was itself released one year after the game came out.

Whilst you’ve previously stated you cannot at all see how anybody might have thought a Winter 2016 release for 2.4 was a possibility, I disagree.

As for your Season superciliousness, when I wrote:
Season? What that word? It comes from TV land? Is that like a Series or something? Please, do educate me further...
...perhaps I should have been a bit more obvious and posted the picture of Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka that is sometimes traditionally used in such replies :)

The rotation of the earth is immutable, the development speed of software is not. A false comparison.
It wasn't a comparison. It's just that both statements are pointless.

There simply is no way for you to know if development is too slow or not. What is slow about it? What could've been faster? Which challenges need to be solved? Which dev is incompetent at leading his team? Who is drinking coffee all day? It's slow compared to what? How do you know it's slow when you don't know which effort is required?

Last edited:
I agree. Like a release schedule that stated Spring, Summer & Autumn (& “soon” for 2.4) releases for Horizons, that was itself released one year after the game came out.

Whilst you’ve previously stated you cannot at all see how anybody might have thought a Winter 2016 release for 2.4 was a possibility, I disagree.
That's not what I said.

...perhaps I should have been a bit more obvious and posted the picture of Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka that is sometimes traditionally used in such replies :)
Perhaps you should have just said 'true, the term Season doesn't have anything to do with it'.

I thought that 2.4 was not coming out in the winter when 2.1 was severely delayed, thought it was pretty obvious. As to the reference to winter is coming it is in regards to the Thargoids and the very first interaction with them, which was in the winter (hyperspace interdiction). It was not referring to when 2.4 would be released.

Not needed really. Just a statement saying that the word seasons doesn't really have anything to do with it. No t difficult.

The rotation of the earth is immutable, the development speed of software is not. A false comparison.
Earth's rotation slows a bit every day. I look forward to the day when earthlings start complaining that the days are taking too long to deliver. Bonus, there will be more time in a day for devs to work on stuff, as if most devs weren't already working OT; can't wait for business to rip workers off for that too. As sure as the day is getting longer. But then again, it's flat so that's a red herring anyway.

That's not what I said.
So the bit where I asked:
Regarding the original quarterly delivery estimates for Horizons (from FDev themselves), you know, Spring, Summer & Autumn 2016? Can you not possibly, conceiveably, just a little bit, think how some people might just have thought “Winter is Coming” implied a Winter release? Like, not the Winter the year after?
...and you replied:
...that’s not stating you cannot at all see how anybody might have thought a Winter 2016 release for 2.4 was a possibility. Righty-o then.

And as for:
Perhaps you should have just said 'true, the term Season doesn't have anything to do with it'.
Not needed really. Just a statement saying that the word seasons doesn't really have anything to do with it. No t difficult.
...FDev started it! They used it first!
I thought that 2.4 was not coming out in the winter when 2.1 was severely delayed, thought it was pretty obvious. As to the reference to winter is coming it is in regards to the Thargoids and the very first interaction with them, which was in the winter (hyperspace interdiction). It was not referring to when 2.4 would be released.
After 2.1 was severely delayed, you say...after....hmmmm.

How about when the schedule was first published, like when I’ve been posting about? Was it pretty obvious then?

Top Bottom