Frontier's Annual Results have been published (June 2018 to May 2019), showing a record year and Elite passing 3 million basegame sales

You are correct. They haven't. They've only ever given out hope in cleverly crafted bureaucratic responses that only politicians would be proud of - using English to extreme vague interpretations with words like "keen to" and "want to see". Funniest part is watching the naïve here eat this up by the spoonful as it's dished out.

To the topic of this post: once again there is nothing of any substance stated for Elite other than it being in sustaining mode. If anything that should concern the fanbase as there continues to be substance about FDev focusing on new franchises (i.e. focused on new titles and not focused on Elite).

ROFL is this another parody post?

Working? So basically a remake of a 1984 game with great graphics is all they wanted? if that's true the yes, job done, move onto the next remake.

Hardly visionary tho is it?

It is, actually. Name any other game like it. And say NMS if you wanna be ejected from the airlock. There is nothing that facilitates things like Distant Worlds, Fuel Rats and other sandbox player driven activities like this. There are radio stations, podcasts, huge player groups and such wholly because this game and it's lore exists. If you can't find the imagination to enjoy yourself given the tools FDEV have provided to you then ... I dunno what's the token response? "Go play COD!" that's it I think. But OMG quit whining. In fact tell me what you paid for the game and I will transfer the money to you if you promise to log off permanently :)

So if the development took 50 years, there'd still be no way to decide whether it was slow or not? It's kind of sad to see the standard space software that must not be named excuse trotted out to defend Frontier's lack of progress on the updates they said themselves are coming.

Unless of course 2020 vision contains all that was trailed and more. Who knows, because Frontier refuse to let that information slip to their 'vibarant community'.

It's cos of ppl claiming they were lied to somehow that they don't.

Do you seriously wish for me to explain every short term price fluctuation? You've entirely misunderstood what I was talking about. I wasn't referring to the moments of short term vol. But...seeing as you're asking I'll explain some of the concerns I'd have about investing in FDev:

Current EV/EBITDA ratio is over 14. Generally, under 10 is regarded as healthy. Over 14 implies forecast earnings are very low in relation to share price.

Forecast earnings yield around 4.5%. By and large, you would regard under 6/7% to indicate a share to be overpriced for the earnings expected.

Return in invested capital is sitting near 1.08%. As a rough guide, 'quality' companies (ref terminology used in equity investing) have ROIC over 2%. Under 2% means they are eroding value.

There is a mix of the stock still being expensive combined with a low quality tilt. That would worry me as an investor. That's before considering that they still seem incapable of paying a dividend for a reason I'm unfamiliar with.

None of this means the share price is guaranteed to drop. A stock can be rancid and still experience a price increase if the market is up. There is systematic exposure as well idiosyncratic value. As I mentioned, FDev shares have historically been high beta (systematic exposure) with respective industry so when the industry goes up you expect FDev to go up more (and vice versa). That ignores the idiosyncratic element that causes further deviations.

I've not done any in depth analysis on frontier developments. I was simply pointing out that regardless of positive historic earnings growth, there are causes for tempering one's relentless optimism. Make your own mind up of course. I'm not an IFA so my opinions aren't advice. Those would simply reflect my concerns were I invested or considering investing in the company.

Or you could look at a chart with one day volatility and assume that's what I was referring to.

Nah, sorry. You got out-graphed. Deal with it 8-p

Oh Thanx !

Interesting... According to that; 825 sales = -17.5% growth, but 1180 sales is a +43% growth...

I'm dying to see that explained.. Do we have any accountants in the house?

And do unit sales include Horizons, and are they individual sales. ie; If I buy Elite then buy Horizons, is that 2 sales?

Price drop innit?

This is like pulling teeth. I do not know when the drawdown in share price occured and I do not know when financials were released. I know that the view of analysts is the 8% (i've read 7% somewhere as well) drop in share price is a result of reduced revenue forecasts. It's reasonably well publicised in financial press. I am not one of those analysts but I do trust their judgement over, with respect, someone who volunteers to moderate a video game forum and has no apparent experience or expertise in company financials.

Incidentally, if I wanted to hear a credible view on moderating a video game forum I would come to you, not analysts working in finance/accounting.

In fairness, this guy knows his

Because no deadline, real or imagined has ever been missed....

OpenXanadu anyone?
Can't we please get back to the important issues relevant to todays problems: William The Conqueror promised to invade England in 1065 - what a fool he looks now!

(yeah, I know, but these pensioners refuse to move on)
As I posted earlier in the thread:
(I originally came into this thread because 2 forumites were arguing Horizons was/wasn’t originally on a quarterly release schedule. They were both a little bit right, and a little bit wrong. When the schedule was first released, I wholeheartedly believe FDev intended to kick off 2.4 from Winter 2016 onwards. Otherwise, I’d have to assume they’d have to be knowingly misleading customers and I don’t hold such a low opinion of them)

As for using the failings of others as mitigation...last time I tried that excuse I was told in no uncertain terms my own homework had not magically improved because of that.

I know it is only page 27... but what was this topic about? I got lost with the American Banks selling sub-prime and Thargoids not ruling the world, or something like that...
I think it was about Frontier making a profit, but then their share prices dropped 8%, so I think Thulsa Doom's back! So now we need a mighty barbarian with a large, sharp sword!

sollisb

Banned
It is, actually. Name any other game like it. And say NMS if you wanna be ejected from the airlock. There is nothing that facilitates things like Distant Worlds, Fuel Rats and other sandbox player driven activities like this. There are radio stations, podcasts, huge player groups and such wholly because this game and it's lore exists. If you can't find the imagination to enjoy yourself given the tools FDEV have provided to you then ... I dunno what's the token response? "Go play COD!" that's it I think. But OMG quit whining. In fact tell me what you paid for the game and I will transfer the money to you if you promise to log off permanently :)

let's break down your claims...

Distant Worlds... Players fly their ships to locations far outside the bubble. I guarantee I could load up Unity and within a day have the ability to fly my 'ship' using the jump mechanic to locations quadrillion LYs away...

Fuel Rats. Players flying ships to other players.

Radio Stations? Oh the repeating rubbish I turn off?

Huge player groups.. OK..

See the thing is, you are in denial :) Every other MMO has all of that and more, just not in space. Every other MMO has auction halls or variations, Guilds, online chat, chat channels, raid type content etc etc What do we get? Thargoids that live in the servers and only do anything when the servers go off-line. That has to be the most pathetic game lore I have ever heard.

There is no doubt and I never claimed there was, that Elite is Unique. What I do cry about is my frustration that there are apparently 100+ devs working on this, and have been for some 5 years, and this is where we are.. The Elite world is amazing;y big, but there's a lot to do in it is there? if you count doing the same repetitive things over and over again, then I fear your gaming expectations are very low.

We're 5 years down the road and we can't even walk around our ships. We can't walk on planets. The planets we can land on are generic. And the rest is fluff that entails jumping from one instanced system tot he next instanced system.

But.. There are some players that like that, and I do respect it.

As for paying for my game.. I bought 5 copies including Horizons on all of them, plush hundreds in ships kits and paint jobs.. Then there's the 4000 odd hours I've invested.. Are you sure you want to refund me ? :)

o7

Top Bottom