Frontier's ED Community Manager Replacement?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I think Fdev is missing a huge opportunity here to educate players in ED and gain a larger following. I tried to watch the official streams but found them hard to watch because of the lack of knowledge in the game and to be honest found them to be disrespectful to those that love Elite Dangerous. Players that enjoy the game and willing to spend their free time watching streams about the game and seeing company representatives that have little experience and knowledge in playing the game, is disrespectful the player base.

I now watch youtubers to get information about Elite Dangerous like Obsidian Ant, Down to Earth astronomy and others. I trust their information and they keep me up to date on everything in the Elite Dangerous universe. These youtubers have tens of thousands of followers that subscribe and watch all their videos. I only watch Fdev videos when they are talking about new game content.

Is it too much to ask that the CM likes and plays the game they represent ?

I think Fdev is missing a huge opportunity here to educate players in ED and gain a larger following. I tried to watch the official streams but found them hard to watch because of the lack of knowledge in the game and to be honest found them to be disrespectful to those that love Elite Dangerous. Players that enjoy the game and willing to spend their free time watching streams about the game and seeing company representatives that have little experience and knowledge in playing the game, is disrespectful the player base.

I now watch youtubers to get information about Elite Dangerous like Obsidian Ant, Down to Earth astronomy and others. I trust their information and they keep me up to date on everything in the Elite Dangerous universe. These youtubers have tens of thousands of followers that subscribe and watch all their videos. I only watch Fdev videos when they are talking about new game content.

Is it too much to ask that the CM likes and plays the game they represent ?
Well, they are now going for an Influencer Manager, a sort of CM of Youtubers, I should imagine, to whom all Youtuber "influencers" will seek to look up to, if they want to be drip fed with information about the upcoming releases.

And there you have it, FD takes control of the internet 😲

I'm just a player dude, no-one's hired me to act as an ED community manager, or more to the point act as a recruiter of community managers. I don't act as in any official capacity as a liaison between Frontier and the community.

I'm a long term player, the OP is my thoughts on the topic, people can disagree or agree.
I think you'd be great at it for all the reasons I wouldn't be.

Just a simple question:

"I would expect" that anyone posting in this thread about the qualifications a CM should have to do their job, actually has some some experience in said field and does actually know what they are talking about.

Anyone?

I'm no pilot, but if I see a helicopter in a tree I know something ain't right. ;)

It's not that hard to find reasonable counter arguments to the OP, no need to grasp for silly straw man. And congrats to anyone who went for personal attacks or posting personal info. You really aren't any better.

I think Fdev is missing a huge opportunity here to educate players in ED and gain a larger following.
That's almost the exact reaction I had when I watched OP's clip. Nothing against the people in ED's stream, but a community manager demonstrating a bit more passion for the game would possibly help bring more new customers and also veteran players back. But then again, this was FDev's decision based on their financial goals, so I guess they know better than us? Right...?

That's almost the exact reaction I had when I watched OP's clip. Nothing against the people in ED's stream, but a community manager demonstrating a bit more passion for the game would possibly help bring more new customers and also veteran players back. But then again, this was FDev's decision based on their financial goals, so I guess they know better than us? Right...?

It was a charity stream.

They'll appeal to new players with a big old press bonanza about the new era once they are ready, in the meantime the games still doing fine in terms of player numbers and money. We know this it comes up often enough.

FDev uses CMs as a wall for the community critique so the actual team doesn't have to deal with it themselves. During the past FDev has proven to be incapable of handling negative critique if it isn't wrapped in a nice present paper with a red ribbon on top so they disconnected themselves from the community to ignore our requests. Only when the community really assembles together a common request that can't be overheard or ignored like the petition for quality in patches FDev shows reaction but other than that, I feel sorry for the CMs that get abused as a poo-wall.

But, alas, for the purpose stated there is no requiernment knowing the game, let alone the ships. I guess the CMs do their jobs alright if they just try to distract the community from the disasters that are on its way and call it "community management" and thus, a day.

Cms are normally a branch of marketing.
They are not supposed to be the players representative with a lot of influence in design meetings. You may well want someone to fulfill this role, but it aint CMS.

They are not supposed to be ed champions. FD made some attempt to get hi profile influencers to do this, but from what I saw, they just 'rebelled' and handed out their own often detrimental opinions.

Cms have a role specified by FD, and the last thing FD want want is for them to be ed 'experts' with their own agendas.

I think OP should apply for the position.

I wish them well in getting the job.

Then once in the postion, we can rip them apart for not being the sort of community manager we want, and woe betide them if they mistake a cutter for a clipper.

and woe betide them if they mistake a cutter for a clipper.
Little chance of that:

Clipper.jpg
scissors.jpg

Then once in the postion, we can rip them apart for not being the sort of community manager we want, and woe betide them if they mistake a cutter for a clipper.
Cutter for a Courier.

Cutter for a Clipper I could almost understand.

Dropship variants or Chieftain variants I could understand.

But the Courier and Cutter and the two CMs between them don't have this knowledge and have to consult?

Personally I despair, but yeah like you say maybe expecting the CMs between them to know the difference is unreasonable .

Last edited:

Nothing as trivial as getting the name of a ship wrong, these CM's need to be perfect in every aspect of the game, no matter how minor, how obscure, they must have expert knowledge of every remotely concerning the game. After all, the ones here requesting this level are all experts and have never made a mistake concerning the game. Plus the fact that some are now insisting any successful applicant to the position is also model quality attractive, cos you know, looks are so important when talking about a computer game.

Cms are normally a branch of marketing.
They are not supposed to be the players representative with a lot of influence in design meetings. You may well want someone to fulfill this role, but it aint CMS.

They are not supposed to be ed champions. FD made some attempt to get hi profile influencers to do this, but from what I saw, they just 'rebelled' and handed out their own often detrimental opinions.

Cms have a role specified by FD, and the last thing FD want want is for them to be ed 'experts' with their own agendas.

Great post, the only valid counter argument in the entire thread.

Maybe the pay will be enough to put aside any conflicts of interest? Or if you were at the meeting where the management decides not to fix lifechanging or "so easy but still not approved for reasons" will it make you personally feel better? Then what you say to the community? "I know but management sucks, we're actually aspiring to be activision internally?".

Showing up to work every day counts for a lot, but you make a really good point.

Cutter for a Courier.

Cutter for a Clipper I could almost understand.

Dropship variants or Chieftain variants I could understand.

But the Courier and Cutter and the two CMs between them don't have this knowledge and have to consult?

Personally I despair, but yeah like you say maybe expecting the CMs between them to know the difference is unreasonable .
Look it seems you are very passionate about this, how two people managed to get the name of a pretend spaceship wrong when talking about a computer game. I suggest you pen a very terse letter to the board of Frontier Development (not just to Mr Braben because he might not take notice, this needs to go to the entire Board) demanding the immediate termination of these two imposters. After all they did make a mistake and we know how perfect you are and how you expect perfect from the rest of humanity.

Just to amuse us real folk, please post a copy of your letter here so we can see how righteous you are :D

Life must be quiet for you to spend time despairing over the fact that two community managers running a 24 hour live stream have trouble telling one gutemaya ship from another.
I don't follow, how is the level of quietness or not of my life and despairing over the CMs apparent lack of game knowledege related?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom