Frontier's Mistake

I'm basing this more on all the negative feedback I'm reading about Fleet Carriers rather than my own feelings about them. Simply put, I believe Frontier's mistake was to focus solely on content for the "classes" while providing nothing for the "masses". Had the update included something that ALL players could enjoy, be it a new SRV or a new type of SLF (something for shuttling or mining), or perhaps the new ice planets, or a new ship or two (small or large this time), or [insert frequently-requested new feature], then I think there would be less, "That's it, I'm done!" threads. People would still complain about FCs, but at least everyone would have something to look forward to.

Am I wrong? If you're one of the people who are now "done" with Elite, would you feel differently if this update had something for you, even if that something wasn't Fleet Carriers? Even though I'm not angry about Fleet Carriers, I definitely want to see more content for the masses, not the classes*.

* credit to Jack Tramiel of Commodore

I have to disagree. Players set their own expectations on what unknown content may be. That's not the fault of FDev.

Sometimes, the content focuses on a subset of players. Like the new CMDR stuff that changed recently. Sure people griped that it focused solely on new players, but it was unpaid DLC that FDev didn't have to put in, but they did anyway.

Add to that the penchant for some people to feel that FDev has it out for them specifically, and you get a whole lot of unwarranted outrage.

How people can think unpaid DLC must include something for all players every time is beyond me.

I don't agree that that was a mistake. With last year's changes and additions all aimed at new players (plus anyone... anyone? who actually wanted ARX) it was about time we saw something new for CMDRs at the other end of the scale.

That said, although I was quite excited about fleet carriers back in August I am completely unexcited about them now - between the peculiar emphasis on market trading, the also peculiar omission of Universal Cartographics, and a cost/benefit balance that makes the things look like big and expensive convenience items, I've fallen back from "excited" to "curious".

My CMDRs may end up buying them, but apart from having a storage locker in the bubble I'm not convinced they'll have much use for them.

I think most of the negative feedback is, like you said, because this is content for the rich players. I think it is clear that their vision is for fewish people to own them, but they expect them to be an interesting addition to the game.

it issue is that it comes in a drought and people are mad that they aren’t getting anything immediately useful to them. I would love to see an new SRV, SLF, or even a new small or large ship added to the game.

I'm not gonna get myself wound up over this. There'll be 2 betas and what we see now is likely to be revised quite a bit.

Only thing we can be sure of is that there will be plenty of gripping over the final release.

It won't have any impact on whether or not I play ED.

If it becomes a deal breaker for others, that's sad.

But, there are plenty of good books to read.

It could be that this FC that's almost ready to launch is just the beginning of what will come soon down the pipeline of things to include what many have been suggesting such as an explorers oriented FC and a FC akin to an outpost level version as I think suggested by OA.
And even this FC version can be refined and upgraded over time by the devs.

It's an addition to the game and what I do find functional and like about it, I offer appreciation.
Let express as much intensity of attn on what we do like about it as what we dont.

I think a good question is WHY are Universal Cartographics not available on them? Legit question for spitballing here.
Did Frontier explain why? I didn't see the stream in full.

I have a pessimistic theory that since Carto data sells for good value, it'd be too easy for people to maintain the upkeep costs.

A less malicious theory would be they don't want a bunch of carriers in the black, due to networking/some reason.. I have no idea.

What are your theories as to why Carto isn't included? I can't really come up with a good reason.

People complain. FD can't do anything without a fecal-storm. Get over it.

The game has needed a serious Credit sink for ages. This is the one. I have, since release, never had even a one billion credit balance, let alone 5 plus rebuys and upkeep. I won;t be chugging around in a FC any time soon. It ain't a thing. It's just another opportunity to heap biomatter on FD. Enjoy.

It's a sad day when login into the forum is better than actually login into the game.

It is.

But after more than 7000 hours, I still find things to do.

I just took my Python to Colonia to gain access to the engineers out there. I didn't really need to do that - it was just something I hadn't done yet.

And that's pretty much how I've always approached ED. There are things I haven't done yet.

If someone can't find something to do in ED, that is sad.

YMMV

I'm basing this more on all the negative feedback I'm reading about Fleet Carriers rather than my own feelings about them. Simply put, I believe Frontier's mistake was to focus solely on content for the "classes" while providing nothing for the "masses". Had the update included something that ALL players could enjoy, be it a new SRV or a new type of SLF (something for shuttling or mining), or perhaps the new ice planets, or a new ship or two (small or large this time), or [insert frequently-requested new feature], then I think there would be less, "That's it, I'm done!" threads. People would still complain about FCs, but at least everyone would have something to look forward to.

Am I wrong? If you're one of the people who are now "done" with Elite, would you feel differently if this update had something for you, even if that something wasn't Fleet Carriers? Even though I'm not angry about Fleet Carriers, I definitely want to see more content for the masses, not the classes*.

* credit to Jack Tramiel of Commodore
I agree to a point. The other updates always gave a ship, you didn't have to like it (looking at you Crusader) but there was always a shiny new toy for everyone to play with.

With Fleet Carriers this won't be a thing (presumably), so I guess you're not wrong.

I just think that with advent of Fleet Carriers, the first ships where you are REQUIRED to pay a crew, you should now be able to delegate tasks to that crew and not have to micro manage / do your self everything that is done. A good game has to be predominantly about being creative, solving puzzles and exploring new things. If it's a good game it can't be predominantly about refilling the fuel tank of a carrier or paying for its upkeep for instance.

All the classes and masses stuff is just flowery speech.
I'm not interested in hearing what someone who is done with the game has to say. I'm interested in what all of the good commanders in this forum who care about the game and are offering suggestions have to say.

Last edited:
Top Bottom