FSD disabled almost instantly?

Hey everyone,

I was trying to get to Jameson earlier and, as happens often, I was interdicted by a griefer. I genuinely have nothing against people who do this - it's part of the game. Whatever you wanna be, bro.

My question is about what happened next. Within a few seconds of them firing on me, my FSD needed to reboot. After a few more seconds, it was disabled completely, as were my thrusters.

What happened?

My ship was outfitted for combat but I knew I couldn't take an FDL so I didn't bother trying to fight back, so I figured it best to make a quick get away, but I've never had any of my modules disabled that quickly. Were they using special weapons? Did they just target the module with something super high damage?

I was using a krait MK2 fitted out with mostly hull reinforcement and some low grade module reinforcement. Bi-weave shield and fighter bay, all important stuff A rated (some of it engineered). Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance 07

Last edited:
There are a couple of missile types (one powerplay weapon, one engineering effect) that can temporarily disable the FSD. And once your shields drop, they're also missiles, so if you're running away from them (as opposed to around them or past them) there go your drives too. They're only available on dumbfire missiles, which can be tough to hit a dodging ship with - the Krait should be able to use its speed and boost to do some good evasive moves.

There are a few good anti-module weapons - railguns, for example - once the shields go. Maybe you need a bigger MRP?

I just gonna assume yo uwere flying in a straight line boosting away with abrely any pips to SYS:

First you get hit by an FSD disruptor. You get a notification that you have been hit and your FSD reboots. The powerplay variant is stronger and has a downtime on top. Fast boost FSD modifications will reduce the reboot sequence. After that you have a cooldown to this effect which means you can guaranteed charge your FSD for 30 seconds.
Then, assuming your shields dropped in that time, your thrusters simply got shot out by any weapon. Thrusters have low integrity in general and are external modules, which means MRPs don't protect them much (0.35^[GD MRP]). Thus, your drives can get shot out in less than 3 seconds. Without thrusters you can't jump away and neither can you do without a FSD.
In this case you would have needed to reboot/repair but chances are high your opponent can just shoot down your thrusters in that time again. So you were dead in the water.

With the exception of flechette launchers. Though here, boosting in a straight line faster than 550 m/s is a guaranteed safety state from them. Once again proper game design on point.
Yup, you're right of course, I was just thinking of "phasing" experimental on lasers/PAs.

Sounds to me like a grom bomb, or FSD reboot missile, rebooted your FSD.

There's two defences for this,
First, is fit point defence, they're pretty good at shooting down missiles. Usually. Lol
Second is modify your FSD for fast reboot.

Having your FSD shot out is usually a super penetrator railgun modification.
Best defence for this is modify for shielded FSD, or have enormous shields so they can't get to your modules.

Deleted member 38366

D
Folks tried to gank me like that in Colonia in a Wing using Grom FSD Missiles and the usual Meta Frags.

Things that really help (I HiWaked out with only half a ring of Shields lost and not a single Grom Missile hit) :
  • don't be a "sitting duck", so avoid being slow or predictable (i.e. flying in a straight line)
  • know where your Point Defense is mounted on the Ship and use that to your advantage (PD firing arc should face highest threat)
  • 4/2/0 or 3/3/0 affords good agility to keep moving defensively
  • fast egress (i.e. HiWake) is the key, any System will do; no point in sticking around or have a chat unless you intend to battle the hostile Target(s)
  • Hotspots are NoGo / "do you feel lucky?" zones in very slow/cumbersome or most unengineered Ships, unless you expect an "Achievement Unlocked" after 100 rebuys or something ;)
  • if the trip into a Hotspot is a one-off, it's worth considering retrofitting the Ship for the trip (i.e. replace Cargo Racks with HRPs and MRPs to harden up in a nearby System)

Other than that, the Founders World is just an Anarchy mudhole in Open.
One should carefully assess if the trip into that failed-state Anarchy is really required or if the task couldn't be done elsewhere in Open.

Hey everyone,

I was trying to get to Jameson earlier and, as happens often, I was interdicted by a griefer. I genuinely have nothing against people who do this - it's part of the game. Whatever you wanna be, bro.

My question is about what happened next. Within a few seconds of them firing on me, my FSD needed to reboot. After a few more seconds, it was disabled completely, as were my thrusters.

What happened?

My ship was outfitted for combat but I knew I couldn't take an FDL so I didn't bother trying to fight back, so I figured it best to make a quick get away, but I've never had any of my modules disabled that quickly. Were they using special weapons? Did they just target the module with something super high damage?

I was using a krait MK2 fitted out with mostly hull reinforcement and some low grade module reinforcement. Bi-weave shield and fighter bay, all important stuff A rated (some of it engineered). Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance 07
Have to say, the addition of all the ifs-buts-whens-maybes and side effects we've had to combat made the game less appealing to me at least.

eg: If CMDR X has Y then you need Z, but if he has A then you need B, but if they have C you'd better have D! It's as if the outcome of combat becomes more and more dictated in outfitting than what you do during combat :(

Ultimately, must say, simpler weapons, with less overpowering scope creep unbalancing Engineering, and less Magic The Gathering side effects, is more appealling to me.

Have to say, the addition of all the ifs-buts-whens-maybes and side effects we've had to combat made the game less appealing to me at least.

eg: If CMDR X has Y then you need Z, but if he has A then you need B, but if they have C you'd better have D! It's as if the outcome of combat becomes more and more dictated in outfitting than what you do during combat :(

Ultimately, must say, simpler weapons, with less overpowering scope creep unbalancing Engineering, and less Magic The Gathering side effects, is more appealling to me.
There are some basic choices to be made that will allow you to escape every time, regardless of the enemy setup. Over the past 6 months, each time I visited the rebuy screen it was due to my own poor choices:
1. decided to stay and fight
2. stayed too long

That's been true since long before engineering, though. Probably since 1.3 when a reasonably wide variety of ships and modules was made available, at least. Take a pure laser ship versus a hulltank and it will take ages. Take a kinetics ship versus a shieldtank and you're not going to do well. Take a poorly-shielded trade ship versus a frag boat and you're in serious trouble.

Most of the "rock-paper-scissors" nature of the original 2.1 engineering has long been flattened out of it - and the easy ability to balance shield and hull resistances means that some of the RPS of the pre-engineering game has been flattened too!

In terms of fights between PvP-fit ships there are plenty of build options that will be reasonably competitive regardless of what your opponent brings. [1]

Conversely, CQC which has very static outfitting, low impact sidegrades instead of engineering, and so on ... still has a very distinct rock-paper-scissors in its ships (Sidey>Eagle>Imp/Condor>Sidey, all else equal, which it won't be), and plenty of opportunities to decide the fight (though not in your favour) by messing up in outfitting.

[1] Sure, if you know in advance your opponent only has fixed, you can drop the chaff and fit a more useful utility instead. But that's all fairly marginal stuff and nowhere near "deciding the fight in outfitting".

Deleted member 38366

D
<redacted>

Frankly, I don't think so.
Builds and counter-builds are extremely diverse (at least in theory) - but regardless of Ship/Build you're facing, most of the Battles are indeed won before they start

A solid decision matrix and sticking to hard abort criteria can prevent a rebuy sceen alot of times.

PS.
Similar to Krash, my "I won/I survived" moments came from sticking to the pre-planned criteria.
Most of my "Oops" moments came from not sticking to them or being slow to make a required decision ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
How rude.

Also Krash has a point. The balance is heavily in favor of the defender, not the attacker as Neilf suggests by asking for "simpler less overpowered weapons"...
Bingo. Once I realized and demonstrated to my own satisfaction I can escape any set of gankers at any skill level, the next step for me was to stay and fight for a while. And sometimes I send one of them to the rebuy screen, but I can't lose sight of when its time to get out of dodge or I'll pay the price.

Oh wow, got way more response to this than I was expecting. Thank you to everyone who offered their insights - I really appreciate it. Also quite interesting to read the side discussion going on here.

For reference, a big issue here was that my HOTAS mappings had just reset themselves (something I was planning to fix at Jameson... I have regrets about not doing that after login), so my maneuvering was very very amateur. I did kinda just assume I could boost away with full power to shields and escape in time, but I guess not, ha. I did have point defence but maybe it didn't have line of sight on the missiles.

I'll look into these weapons... and into boosting my defenses for going via Shinrarta. :)

Top Bottom