FSS Geo Highly Likely Never Completes Scan Unless You Remain Focused On The body

I would like to know if this is happening to anyone else.

This morning is the first time since the Tuesday update and patch and that I jumped into a new system that I had not previously scanned with the FSS.

Now any body that I scan that has geo sites the scan will not complete unless I stay focused on the body. I checked this in three different systems and the results were the same. If I start a scan and it shows the message about geo highly likely (or whatever words it uses) and I move on to the next body when I come back to the geo highly likely body the FSS is still resolving the scan even minutes later. From the results I get the scan will not complete unless I stay focused on the body.

So now this great improvement makes it take even longer. This is certainly the results that I got this morning.

Deleted member 38366

D
Yes, the same happens to me as well.

Whenever I require definite Info on multiple Bodies, I open the System Map where all Data is being resolved as well. However, this can take its due time on its own - but at least it keeps the process rolling.
(for individual Bodies, I assume staying zoomed in via FSS is currently still the fastest way)

Right now, getting resolution on a Body w/ Geologicals just takes patience, more than it required before.

It sounds like this is how they corrected the performance problems. Originally they were going to let the scans complete in the background and show the probabilities in the meantime. But when the update went live, it was pre-rendering all of the planets so that it would give you the scan results ASAP, but that was causing stuttering and performance issues. So now it looks like they've gone to the other extreme and don't render the body unless you keep the scanner trained on it. I haven't tested yet, but I'm assuming the full rendering should also happen if you fly to the body in question, so that you can make the decision based on the probabilities and then fly over and choose a landing site. Might have to do some testing to see exactly what the new behavioral rules are.

I agree that scans aren't completing unless you remain focused, has happened to me ever since January Patch One. At the same time, I and others have reported continued stuttering - for me, it now happens when zooming in on bodies with the FSS. After Jan Update, the stuttering was only on system entry, now it has "migrated " to FSS-zoom, presumably as a result of the intended fix.
I'm not too upset about the need for focus to resolve scans, but the stutter is a genuine problem, very hard on the eyes.

I agree that scans aren't completing unless you remain focused, has happened to me ever since January Patch One. At the same time, I and others have reported continued stuttering - for me, it now happens when zooming in on bodies with the FSS. After Jan Update, the stuttering was only on system entry, now it has "migrated " to FSS-zoom, presumably as a result of the intended fix.
I'm not too upset about the need for focus to resolve scans, but the stutter is a genuine problem, very hard on the eyes.

if you reported that zoom-in stuttering in the issue tracker, could you share the link to it? cause it happens to me too and i'd like to add my vote so it can get confirmed faster

I haven't found this.
I do a quick check , move on and finish my scanning.
If I go back to the system map, yes it shows 'resolving' (or something similar) and it does take some time, but it does finally resolve and give the number of sites - patience is the key ;)

I haven't found this.
If I go back to the system map, yes it shows 'resolving' (or something similar) and it does take some time, but it does finally resolve and give the number of sites - patience is the key ;)

It never finishes, "if you remain in the FSS". Once you exit the FSS and enter the system map it finishes, but I don't want to exit the FSS and enter the system map for them to resolve, I want to see what's there while in the FSS, that's what it's for, so you have to stay focused on each body that has POI's and wait for it to finish resolving before moving to the next.

It never finishes, "if you remain in the FSS". Once you exit the FSS and enter the system map it finishes, but I don't want to exit the FSS and enter the system map for them to resolve, I want to see what's there while in the FSS, that's what it's for, so you have to stay focused on each body that has POI's and wait for it to finish resolving before moving to the next.
OK, I see that - I have never tried to do that (wait in FSS) now that I get a likelihood of a site. I still like to use the system map, particularly if I am heading off to surface scan something.

I haven't found this.

This is what I do. I still don't really get why people spend so long looking at the FSS screen waiting for scans to resolve when you can just tag everything in a few seconds and move on, then look at the system map, which honestly is far easier and better presented to see all the data. And the volcanism tells you if there's going to be geo sites there already, so do you really need to sit there and wait for a number of sites to pop up at all? If you care about geo sites, you can already see what kind of volcanism is there, so just fly over, DSS the planet and land. Waiting for the specific number of sites to appear on the FSS seems like a complete waste of anyone's time, especially if you're on a long expedition and are doing this thousands of times per day.

This is what I do. I still don't really get why people spend so long looking at the FSS screen waiting for scans to resolve when you can just tag everything in a few seconds and move on, then look at the system map, which honestly is far easier and better presented to see all the data. And the volcanism tells you if there's going to be geo sites there already, so do you really need to sit there and wait for a number of sites to pop up at all? If you care about geo sites, you can already see what kind of volcanism is there, so just fly over, DSS the planet and land. Waiting for the specific number of sites to appear on the FSS seems like a complete waste of anyone's time, especially if you're on a long expedition and are doing this thousands of times per day.
Yep. I am not a great fan of the FSS screen :oops:

OK, I see that - I have never tried to do that (wait in FSS) now that I get a likelihood of a site. I still like to use the system map, particularly if I am heading off to surface scan something.

Nor have I, because you didn't need to previously. Previously you could quickly scan all of the moons of a gas giant, zooming in and out on the ones that had features and come back to them after scanning the rest because they resolved in the background, it was as quick as having to go through them all on the system map afterwards and if there was nothing in the system worth surface scanning you could head off to the next system as soon as you finished. Now you have to wait the full time on every body to get them to resolve. While the new system is a step up for the occasional explorer and a few others who used a different technique, for those of us who used the FSS to it's full capacity it's a big step, and I mean "big" step backward!

Nor have I, because you didn't need to previously. Previously you could quickly scan all of the moons of a gas giant, zooming in and out on the ones that had features and come back to them after scanning the rest because they resolved in the background, it was as quick as having to go through them all on the system map afterwards and if there was nothing in the system worth surface scanning you could head off to the next system as soon as you finished. Now you have to wait the full time on every body to get them to resolve. While the new system is a step up for the occasional explorer and a few others who used a different technique, for those of us who used the FSS to it's full capacity it's a big step, and I mean "big" step backward!
I will admit I am not a full user (or indeed a big fan) of the FSS and my heart sinks when I see a large number of bodies :(
I will check out what is there and be fairly selective about my scanning. The initial 'thrill' of geo sites has gone for me, but I still check out bio sites so seeing a 'highly probable' for me is a step forward. I can see how it must be frustrating if every body is scanned and many have sites of interest. I can't see an obvious reason why Frontier can't combine the best of the old and new and give the 'heads up', but still carry on resolving in the background.

This topic was somewhere in "path notes update1" and devs responded they keep looking ... so, if you wana changed something - write there I guess.
As for me, "human" and other signals are immediate now, shown below "spinning" area. That was the reason to ever wait for "geo" complete.

Thankfully the geo/bio sites also still resolve when you fly over to the planet to map it. By the time you're done probing, the locations will likely have finished rendering. But this means making decisions based on the probability levels rather than the detailed results.

Thankfully the geo/bio sites also still resolve when you fly over to the planet to map it. By the time you're done probing, the locations will likely have finished rendering. But this means making decisions based on the probability levels rather than the detailed results.
Well, main point of FSS is to "NOT FLY TO" planet.
If you one of that guys who scans each planet close ... well, I dislike such, as they leave no place to put a records of other commanders to history. It's a billions other planets, why do you scan each ? ...

Top Bottom