FSS - my opinion

Meanwhile, in the bottom right corner, you'll only get the correct planet type if you set the center of the slider to precisely the middle of the signal. Most of the time, this doesn't make a difference, but if you look up @Frillop Freyraum 's earlier picture here, you'll notice that it's just slightly off the middle of the signal and giving a wrong type already.

You might have missed it, but I already pointed this out...
Look closely (zoom in if you like) and you can see your tuner is ever so slightly to the right of the circle centre. Did you move it 1 pixel to the left to see if it changed to RIW?

All I've seen so far is evidence that the FSS provides very precise changeover points (frequencies) demarcating the boundaries of the body types.

I've still seen no evidence that the FSS itself allows overlap. The only uncertainty appears to be human interpretation of the FSS output.

Just zoom in and out, job done.

Which is of course fine, and I don't disagree it's very quick.

For me personally though, I prefer to either scan a whole system, or leave it as untouched as I can, so I'll look at the spectrum, decide whether there's something I want to scan and then scan the whole system, or leave it with just what has been auto-scanned (one of my least favorite features of the FSS). I fully accept that's just my way of doing it, and not the right way. I don't believe there is a right way to explore. :)

Hence why I want to be able to identify signals before I scan the bodies. And on that subject, cherry picking individual bodies using the FSS was in my experience hardly worth the trouble unless the system is particularly large, might just as well bash through the whole system and be done with it. Just personal preferences / playstyles.

you can see your tuner is ever so slightly to the right of the circle centre

The circle that's not visible until you've already zoomed in and resolved the signal. The frequency band is wider than the circles indicating the resolved planets, pointing out that once you know exactly where the right place is you can be in the right place is not in any way helpful.

Which is of course fine, and I don't disagree it's very quick.

For me personally though, I prefer to either scan a whole system, or leave it as untouched as I can, so I'll look at the spectrum, decide whether there's something I want to scan and then scan the whole system, or leave it with just what has been auto-scanned (one of my least favorite features of the FSS). I fully accept that's just my way of doing it, and not the right way. I don't believe there is a right way to explore. :)

Hence why I want to be able to identify signals before I scan the bodies. And on that subject, cherry picking individual bodies using the FSS was in my experience hardly worth the trouble unless the system is particularly large, might just as well bash through the whole system and be done with it. Just personal preferences / playstyles.

Each to their own. I scan all the systems, all the time. If it's already all tagged I go map something, I am just a graffiti artist tagging the galaxy really...

The circle that's not visible until you've already zoomed in and resolved the signal. The frequency band is wider than the circles indicating the resolved planets, pointing out that once you know exactly where the right place is you can be in the right place is not in any way helpful.

That's something you'll need to say to Frillop, not me. I was simply responding to those who say there's overlap. And I state again, I've seen no evidence of overlap.

That's something you'll need to say to Frillop, not me. I was simply responding to those who say there's overlap. And I state again, I've seen no evidence of overlap.

You've seen evidence of overlap on this thread. You can't deny that on the basis of information that is not available until after the ambiguity has been resolved. @Faded Glory suggests that the chevrons supplement the position on the spectrum scanner to resolve the overlap and I have no reason to doubt them but that remains an additional detail to the spectrum itself to resolve the ambiguity inherent within it.

Your contention that you can see the tick was in the wrong place after the right place has been determined by zooming within the allowed and ambiguous range is not evidence that there is no ambiguity, it is confirmation that the ambiguity exists.

You've seen evidence of overlap on this thread. You can't deny that on the basis of information that is not available until after the ambiguity has been resolved. @Faded Glory suggests that the chevrons supplement the position on the spectrum scanner to resolve the overlap and I have no reason to doubt them but that remains an additional detail to the spectrum itself to resolve the ambiguity inherent within it.

Your contention that you can see the tick was in the wrong place after the right place has been determined by zooming within the allowed and ambiguous range is not evidence that there is no ambiguity, it is confirmation that the ambiguity exists.

Actually no, that's not correct. If you zoom in on the picture, you can see that the tuning line is just to the right of a spike on the spectrum, and that spike is the border between RIW on the left and ELW on the right. The tuning line is in the ELW zone on the spectrum, hence why the text registers it as an ELW.

As Faded Glory just said, that's incorrect. You'll need to rethink what's been shown to you and what has been said.

I have made no "contention that you can see the tick was in the wrong place after the right place has been determined". What I said was that the RIW Frillop was using as his example shows that since he tuned slightly to the right of the circle centre point, so that the FSS says the tuner is now in the ELW region, it is no evidence of overlap.

On the other hand, if Frillop had tuned slightly to the LEFT of the circle centre point, with the FSS still showing the tuner in the ELW region, it would indeed have been evidence of overlap.

Note also that any talk of the unresolved "squiggly waveform" behind the green (resolved) circle is irrelevant since that is a different body that has not even been resolved/discovered yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom