FSS vs. ADS – and Alternative or Additional Options for Compelling Gameplay

As well as discussing the topic at hand, of course, this thread is meant to help alleviate some of the off-topic discussions in other threads.

Feel free to share your relevant opinions, perspectives, and preferences here, though please try to avoid discussing the validity of those of others.

For me personally and in addition to what we currently have implemented in the game, I'd like being able to target worlds as "unresolved signal sources" or the like from the navigation panel in previously unexplored systems after the honk and before using the FSS to resolve them for more immersive first-person exploration gameplay. Ideally though, I think also having targetable "unresolved signal sources" (AKA "black bodies") show up on the system map for a bit more perspective and selective engagement would be great. I'd be fine with this needing a size one module upgrade for this added functionality, especially seeing as how I happen to have a few extra of them since the past couple of updates anyway.

Naturally some would prefer if the full functionality of the ADS were restored while others are happy with how the FSS and DSS work as they are (current bugs not withstanding) and don't want other alternative options implemented in the game as they think they might be detrimental for one reason or another.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I want the old system map if im honest. But in a compromise situation i think being able to tell what colour the planets are would be the highest importance to me, aswell as information like orbital relationships and possibility of landing. Having to FSS every planet to see what colour it might be is an awful grinding chore. I do not enjoy the "zoom in, zoom out" mechanics at all or the throbbing noises, no matter how realistic they might possibly be. Considering they are radiation converted into sound i would say their realism is very much a matter of opinion. I feel that the old system map could be reintroduced even if it gave zero financial reward.

I'd like the ability to 'explore by flying around'. I'm not too concerned about the amount of information presented from a distance, so long as there are bodies listed in the Nav Panel that I can fly to, without having to use the FSS.

All I actually want is a short display of the wave signal spectrum thingie after honking to see at one glance what kinds of bodies are in the system without going into FSS mode and back. I fly with Hotas, but I actually bound a throttle 0% and the FSS mode to mouse buttons to not have to use my throttle to reduce speed but just push two buttons and see the result of my scan. It's fast but still pretty annoying.
And along with showing the waves I'd love a message about biological, geological and alien signals detected so I don't have to discover every single moon in a system and wait for the scanner to show me if there is something each time, but immediately see if there is any surface POI biological, geological or alien somewhere in the system at all. That would be absolutely awesome.

Imagine it: jump, honk... "biological signals detected" and you see the the wave signals for a few seconds at the top of the screen... Exploration travelling Heaven. For me at least.

This seems like a wonderful thread to discuss ELB and terrible shadows on PS4! Because ELB, PS4, ADS, and FSS are all three letter (well, one is a number, but hey) acronyms, so surely this qualifies as being on-topic! 🤪

This seems like a wonderful thread to discuss ELB and terrible shadows on PS4! Because ELB, PS4, ADS, and FSS are all three letter (well, one is a number, but hey) acronyms, so surely this qualifies as being on-topic! 🤪

ELB is likely here to stay. It's in preparation for atmospheric landings where players will be able to locate all the zoos full of elephants (and dinosaurs and theme parks) that will be there to be found with the FSS. :)

As well as discussing the topic at hand, of course, this thread is meant to help alleviate some of the off-topic discussions in other threads.

On topic...

I simply think that having choices in how to explore can only be a positive thing, more so if they are optional modules so as not to change the nature of the FSS in any way. Clearly plenty of players like it exactly as it is.

I can't see how anybody would be against more options for how we play the game, I really can't.

It's a false argument. It's never been either or.
In my ideal world the ADS and FSS would compliment each other nicely.

There was no argument that exploration needed more tools, so the FSS was a welcome addition.
But taking away all the functionality of one that was already there was a strange choice.

No functionality was lost the FSS offers everything it did and more.

The ADS does not exist. I don't care about the features of non-existent things.

The FSS is a handy tool. I'm glad every ship has one.

It's a false argument. It's never been either or.
In my ideal world the ADS and FSS would compliment each other nicely.

There was no argument that exploration needed more tools, so the FSS was a welcome addition.
But taking away all the functionality of one that was already there was a strange choice.
Having the ADS as well as the FSS in one unit would make using the FSS seem pointless. What would be the point in searching for planets in the FSS when you know exactly where they are already. It makes no sense.

I would be okay with a mutually exclusive system if the old ADS stays the same.

I would also be okay with a modified BDS/IDS/ADS that can work with the FSS. The more powerful the unit, the heavier and power hungry it becomes. They would be basically auto resolve modules, the BDS stays like it did with a range of 500ls, the IDS takes up a size 2 optional slot and has a range of 5000ls and the ADS will take up a size 2 optional slot and have a range of 30-60000ls. If there are stars further away then that, the the honk already finds them, you can then fly to that star and honk again to ge the info you want for the remaining planets, or you could use the FSS.

The FSS only makes sense to use when you don't have the pinpoint locations.

My preference is not to have the old system in at all, but if there is to be a compromise, I would prefer the modified version that works with the FSS as it allows more options to play.

Top Bottom