Discussion Fuel Scooping warning -- any interest?

I never remember to check the star type when I jump. So I'm often glancing across to EDDiscovery to check that the star is scoopable whle trying to pilot the ship near a sun.

So I whipped up a little program that gives an audible warning when the star is not scoopable. It's very rough and ready at the moment but if there is sufficient interest I'll look into productizing it and making it available.

Of course everything is subject to change; this is very early code. In particular I think the initial warning is unnecessary and talks over COVAS.

nice work, and seems ready would like to use it. Think there is intrest in the community but not many reading the forums

Interesting. I have a similar solution using Voice Attack and EDDI plugin. My Voice Attack warns me if it's a dangerous neutron or white dwarf star, if the star is scoopable or not, and if my fuel level is below 25% it stays warning me to refuel as soon as possible until the fuel level goes above 25%. Maybe you can implement this to your software.

This should be part of the game.

A simple indication on the hud showing star class before jumping. You could even put number of jumps remaining to next scoopable star.

FWIW, in the next revision of EDDI, there will be a new feature telling you the nearest 'scoopable' star when a fuel scoop is installed and reserves are low.
That's nice, but not something I particularly need. I'll have to jump into the scripts soon to get rid of that "this is your first visit to this star." It gets old after 70 jumps. But I would like more star geekiness in place of the detailed politics you get in the bubble. I don't think either of those need an upgrade though, just some scripting. Although if you are investigating nearby systems, maybe point out some points of interest that I might otherwise miss such as Notable Stellar Phenomena.

Although if you are investigating nearby systems, maybe point out some points of interest that I might otherwise miss such as Notable Stellar Phenomena.

Given that the SAASignalsFound event was just implemented by FDEV this past update and EDDN/EDSM is just now accepting/archiving this event data, it's not likely you will see this kind of report for some time... not without performing your own detailed scan, that is. :)

Given that the SAASignalsFound event was just implemented by FDEV this past update and EDDN/EDSM is just now accepting/archiving this event data, it's not likely you will see this kind of report for some time... not without performing your own detailed scan, that is. :)
That's fine then. You don't need to do the impossible. ;)

One thing that irritates me though, I just remembered. Is there any way to get it to pronounce A correctly when it is in a planet name or such? It uses the indefinite article form instead of the letter name.

Always nice to see people making some 3rd party stuff for elite :)

I dig your idea but imho its not possible to do it in a proper way because of the timings of entries and contained information in said entries.

"event":"StartJump" = Too late, you're in the tunnel already.
"event":"FSDTarget" = Would be useful, but doesn't contain the starclass.
"event":"FSDJump" = According to the docs, its written while in hyperspace, shortly before arrival, thats also way too late.

Lets say it's your last drip of fuel, you're doomed in both cases when using either of those that contain the starclass information. :-/

I dig your idea but imho its not possible to do it in a proper way because of the timings of entries and contained information in said entries.

You're not wrong if you're relying only on Journal data, but it's absolutely possible (and EDDI does it) by using APIs of other 3rd party tools, such as EDSM, to pull the system data.

Lets say it's your last drip of fuel, you're doomed in both cases when using either of those that contain the starclass information. :-/

As I said above, EDDI's next revision has a new feature that intends to prevent that scenario by giving you the nearest scoopable star (within current fuel range), when reserves are depleted.

Yeah but that is based on information that was already gathered and can be used. So it will only work when jumping to systems that the 3rd party databases know about. What if you're in the middle of nowhere? Thats what my initial comment was based upon.

EDIT:

Hmm, maybe solve this by announcing whether scoopable or not when the system is known and otherwise warn the user about having to keep an eye on it because the tool wasnt able to resolve the information for the next system. Maybe linked to "FSDTarget" + slight delay because its written shortly before/upon arrival. Maybe with an optional feature to repeat the "Oh Be A Fine Girl Kiss Me"-anagram using TTS (learning mode checkbox?) :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom