Full Spectrum Scanner - Auto-exit on Interdiction (or change view so I can still see the main scanner)

So, I've found that when using the FSS to scan for signal sources - and identify them - I'm taken into a full screen view where I'm rendered unable to see what's on my scanner in the system. This can make using the FSS high risk in certain systems (Anarchy in particular - I've been interdicted several times when in FSS mode: fortunately NPC is fairly easy to beat). In OPEN, it also means you might not be aware of a human player entering the system while in FSS mode, and end up getting sneak attacked while scanning the signal sources (I can't be bothered returning to the Nav Beacon all the time to uncover all the signal sources). Human players are not so easy to avoid once they start interdicting.

Firstly, FSS should auto-exit on interdiction - currently it does not.

Secondly, I shouldn't be placed in that vulnerable position at all - the FSS needs a rework to place it on the main screen while still allowing me to see what's going on in the system on the scanner.

Thanks.

Last edited:
secondededed

BUT

A special proximity warning that activates when in FSS mode would also work. Gotta make the pilot do a little work. You could also just fly in a random direction up or down from the orbital plane....

That way you don't have to completely re arrange the cockpit hud for something that not everyone uses.

When it comes to being vulnerable, thats the nature of the game. You're in space, nothing between you and a vacuum of infinite nothingness is a what amounts to a very thick piece of glass (i'm sure 1300 years in the future i'm sure we've solved structural weaknesses in windows, but thats off topic...) That anxiety is perfect for Open play imo and not knowing if you're being interdicted just adds to the experience

Could you explain the purpose of searching for ALL the signal beacons? are you looking for something in particular or just trying to get that xp?

Auto-exit seems viable, I like the idea. A view of the sensors while in FSS would be handy not only to prevent attacks but also to keep some kind of spatial awareness of our position in the system while looking out for signals.

I completely agree with this.

Could you explain the purpose of searching for ALL the signal beacons? are you looking for something in particular or just trying to get that xp?
Yes, when I'm looking for materials in various systems (High Security, Low Security, Federation, Imperial or Anarchy) for certain engineering upgrades - normally looking for High Grade Emissions for specific Manufactured Grade 5 materials. So, initially upon entry to a system I may go into the Nav Beacon and reveal all of the signal sources. However, sometimes I can't be bothered doing that, and simply go into FSS mode to scan the signal sources to fiind out what sort of signal it is.

Also, once I've gone into a signal source and gathered all the materials and then return to cruise I go into FSS to check again because usually by that time a few new signals have appeared which need to be revealed.

The alternative would be to select the unknown signal source in the Navigation tab and point the ship at it - but that'd take too long.

Yes, when I'm looking for materials in various systems (High Security, Low Security, Federation, Imperial or Anarchy) for certain engineering upgrades - normally looking for High Grade Emissions for specific Manufactured Grade 5 materials. So, initially upon entry to a system I may go into the Nav Beacon and reveal all of the signal sources. However, sometimes I can't be bothered doing that, and simply go into FSS mode to scan the signal sources to fiind out what sort of signal it is.

Also, once I've gone into a signal source and gathered all the materials and then return to cruise I go into FSS to check again because usually by that time a few new signals have appeared which need to be revealed.

The alternative would be to select the unknown signal source in the Navigation tab and point the ship at it - but that'd take too long.
so for you, using the FSS is quicker than jumping out, waiting the longest 10 seconds ever then low waking back into SC. Hey no judgement, just curious. May your rug really tie the bridge together, man.
. I get where you're coming from on the "i'm lazy and just want my stuff...." perspective....

As someone with some manufacturing education, it's generally more efficient to perform a step on all of your batch then move on to the next step. That is: Sit in FSS scan all the stuff you can find, head to each one, get what you need then split. I'm sure with some playing around you could get it down really efficiently (until you get to systems with 30+ objects, but that's just the nature of space exploration i suppose to some degree....) until FDev hears our pleas and installs FSS Early Warning Systems. For some reason i just imagine your suggestion as a picture in picture model and it's not really jiving with me personally, but i agree on the need for knowing if we're about to get ganked while gathering data in FSS. That could be millions of credits worth ya know?

so for you, using the FSS is quicker than jumping out, waiting the longest 10 seconds ever then low waking back into SC. Hey no judgement, just curious. May your rug really tie the bridge together, man. View attachment 142349. I get where you're coming from on the "i'm lazy and just want my stuff...." perspective....

As someone with some manufacturing education, it's generally more efficient to perform a step on all of your batch then move on to the next step. That is: Sit in FSS scan all the stuff you can find, head to each one, get what you need then split. I'm sure with some playing around you could get it down really efficiently (until you get to systems with 30+ objects, but that's just the nature of space exploration i suppose to some degree....) until FDev hears our pleas and installs FSS Early Warning Systems. For some reason i just imagine your suggestion as a picture in picture model and it's not really jiving with me personally, but i agree on the need for knowing if we're about to get ganked while gathering data in FSS. That could be millions of credits worth ya know?
Hmm, I'm not really sure what to make of this comment.

Ultimately, when I scan a system and there are say three High Grade Emissions, I will go to each one in turn - the one with the least time first. As stated previously, I will immediately, after gathering the material from one signal source and reentering super-cruise, check for new signals in FSS. Once done, I will proceed to the next signal and repeat until I run out of the type of signal source I'm looking for. At that point I will very likely move to another system, or jump back into the same system to refresh the signal sources.

I've never been interdicted while in FSS, what exactly happens then?
By nature of FSS you're on zero throttle, so you automatically should lose the interdiction.
But what happens?

But where is the suggestion in OPs post then when it in fact auto-exits?
I don't know it does. I've never been in that situation. But it should. It depends on supercruise to get the radar data back from those distances. And in gameplay you're changing instances, so I don't see why it shouldn't. If it doesn't then I'd classify it as a bug, rather than a mis-feature.

I've never been interdicted while in FSS, what exactly happens then?
By nature of FSS you're on zero throttle, so you automatically should lose the interdiction.
But what happens?
What happens is that the interdiction is in progress and you're left staring at the FSS map. You have to exit quickly when you hear the initial interdiction lock and start to accelerate to ensure you don't auto-submit. Then it's game on!

Last edited:
What happens is that the interdiction is in progress and you're left string at the FSS map. You have to exit quickly when you hear the initial interdiction lock and start to accelerate to ensure you don't auto-submit. Then it's game on!
Yup can confirm this. Just try hauling painite through a populated system that doesn't auto-resolve, hop into the FSS to do a basic body ID job, and you've probably got at least a 25% chance of an AI interdiction, let alone a player. If you don't exit from the FSS pronto, you definitely will auto-submit.

I thought it did auto exit... I'm sure it did for me... Weird.

It'd be nice to have a button (more controls!!!) To temporarily pop up the scanner or something.

Yup can confirm this. Just try hauling painite through a populated system that doesn't auto-resolve, hop into the FSS to do a basic body ID job, and you've probably got at least a 25% chance of an AI interdiction, let alone a player. If you don't exit from the FSS pronto, you definitely will auto-submit.
Gotta say, I do love that mining is so popular right now, and that there are sites miners use to find good selling spots.

It's almost as good as a CG for chances of finding good piracy targets, in fact, it's more satisfying as you can actively hunt for good spots for victi.... Customers.

No it doesn't. If it did, I wouldn't have made the suggestion... :rolleyes:
I did double check before commenting, it does, although it takes a second or two to take you out of it (could be hardware dependant). Importantly, as soon as you get the interdiction warning, you need to throttle up immediately (even if you're still in the FSS screen you have control over your throttle at this point) to avoid submitting.

If that's not happening for you, you should bug report it.

I did double check before commenting, it does, although it takes a second or two to take you out of it (could be hardware dependant). Importantly, as soon as you get the interdiction warning, you need to throttle up immediately (even if you're still in the FSS screen you have control over your throttle at this point) to avoid submitting.

If that's not happening for you, you should bug report it.
Thanks for the tip.

From my own experience (on the PC), I've had to press TAB to exit - my designated key - and accelerate, as you point out. It's happened on more than one occasion. Still, I will test it again at some point - do nothing to interrupt and see when it exits.

Top Bottom