Full Throttle at Pareco - an official Frontier Developments race in conjunction with the Buckyball Racing Club

Right then ladies and gentlemen, it's the moment you've all been waiting for, it's scoreboard update time!

PeVlTJV.png

This is actually just a provisional final scoreboard as I'm still awaiting submissions from a few stragglers and clarification of evidence from at least one commander but I'm reasonably sure that the podium places are at least fairly secure.

So, let's deal with the winners first. In Unlimited class, and in reverse order:

In 3rd place we have Cmdr Bruski who finally achieved his celebration dance worthy ambition of breaking the 19 stop barrier, doing so with his "Beast of America" Viper in 20 minutes and 56 seconds.

Just 8 seconds ahead, in 2nd place we have the brilliant and long standing 20 minute 48 second 19 stop run from Cmdr Aken B. using his "Spirit of Shenanigan" Viper.

But sauntering in at the last minute in his "Baskmobile" Imperial Courier, 13 seconds faster than Aken ... it's Cmdr Alot (he of Sagittarius A* run fame), completing a 19 stop circuit in just 20 minutes and 35 seconds. Congratulations sir, not only for winning but for doing so in a ship who's landing gear could be delivered by Amazon faster than it can actually be deployed! (if the music police haven't already confiscated it then you you can see Alot's winning run here).

And in the regulation Viper class:

In 3rd place it's Aken B. again (the only commander to take podium in both classes) flying the "Hula Loop" around 16 stops in 21 minutes and 5 seconds. Bad luck commander, so close - in both classes - but alas so far! :cry:

In 2nd place we have Captain-MD (a newcomer to Buckyball Racing who only missed out on an unlimited podium place by 4 seconds) flying his "Pareco Racing Viper" around 16 stops in 20 minutes and 23 seconds. Congratulations! To quote emperor Palpatine - "we'll be watching your (racing) career with great interest"!

And in 1st place, just 2 seconds faster and untoppled since his battle for the top spot with Aken B. earlier in the week ... it's Cmdr Elastul Ma'fer, completing the 16 stop circuit in 20 minutes and 21 seconds. Congratulations sir, a very well deserved win!

Elsewhere on the leaderboard let's not forget all the other new runs from yesterday. In order of submission:

First we have the slightly delayed (due to missing evidence) Unlimited Viper run from Cmdr Raiko which slots him nicely into 10th place with 14 stops in 21 minutes and 8 seconds.

Then it's another new arrival, Cmdr Northpin who's achieved our very first dead tie, matching Terrorsidic's 13 stops in exactly the same time of 20 minutes and 1 second. Thanks for taking part commander, everyone's a winner here!

A blast from the past (literally as well as figuratively), Cmdr ZX Spectrum turned up next in a Viper named "Keep The Faith IV" to claim a very respectable 14th place in Unlimited with 16 stops in 21 minutes and 56 seconds. Welcome back!

Skipping over a new run from Lynx Savage for now (due to issues with the video evidence) we then have Speedbowl pilot extraordinaire Cmdr Sanderling. What he can't do with a crate of beer at low altitude while flying at over 4000m/s ain't worth doing! Flying a far more sedate flight assist off Sidewinder, he still managed to take 7th place in an Unlimited 17 stop run with a time of 20 minutes and 18 seconds. If I may say so, you sir are one hell of a pilot!

Determined to call 10th place his home, Cmdr Raiko returned next to claim his rightful place in Unlimited with his "Stormrider" Viper", achieving 16 stops in 20 minutes and 7 seconds.

pause for breath

Next and two more Buckyball debuts, both in Imperial Couriers. First we had Cmdr Sinister Hedgehog piloting the "Gloria Snap" around 15 stops in 20 minutes and 29 seconds to take 16th place, and then Cmdr Overhill3303 in the "Mendel", hitting 14 stops in 20 minutes and 32 seconds. Welcome and congratulations to you both!

Then we have MikkDC swapping his Diamondback Explorer for an Eagle and managing to hit two more stops, finishing 23rd with 13 stops in 20 minutes and 49 seconds.

Back in regulation Vipers, Cmdr Whirlwind113 (newcomer? I've lost track) hit the top half of the scoreboard with an excellent 14 stop run in 20 minutes and 18 seconds, taking 7th place just 5 seconds behind Bob Dubrovnik, and that was followed closely by Cmdr jumpingclear's submission in another unlimited Eagle hitting 14 stops in 21 minutes and 20 seconds.

And last (for now), our cool as a cucumber Cmdr Captain-MD, after casually expressing surprise in Discord this morning that nobody had beaten 19 stops, decides that maybe he should submit his 21 minute 19 stop run after all and ends up 4th! Captain-MD wins my "most likely to be the new cookiehole" award (n.b. a no show from cookiehole this time ... unless he did 22 stops but decided he wasn't happy with that and didn't submit?). 😂

PHEW!

Well I must say it's been a hell of a race from where I've been sitting. I'd like to thank everyone for turning up, being such good sports, and for making this such an enormous success!

We'll have a final final scoreboard update tomorrow (along with a pie chart or two) and I'll be in contact with the winners shortly afterwards to sort out your prizes.

If this has wet your appetite for racing and you want to know more about the Buckyball Racing Club then you're probably best jumping into our Discord server (linked in the OP of this thread). We also have a website at http://www.buckyballracing.org.uk/ with a lot of club back history (although, as has been pointed out to me, I neglected to update it with this race so it's perhaps not quite as up to date as the Discord). Everyone who's taken part in this race should consider themselves a member of the Buckyball Racing Club now and, if you have ideas for your own races that you'd like to run then do please get in touch.

As well as the semi-regular limited duration races such as this one we also have four standing challenges (The A* Challenge, The Pomeche Ridge Challenge, The Colonia Trophy Dash and the IronBucky Challenge) information for which can be found via the linked forum threads.

And finally (for now at least) I just wanted to give a shoutout for Speedbowl 3 which is a very different (but equally enthralling) kind of race involving surfing towards the surface of high-G planets using a combination of flight assist off and vertical thrust to achieve normal flight speeds in excess of 4000m/s. Full information on the event (which is being organised by Halo Jones and PrimetimeCasual and runs over the weekend of 9-10 November) can be found in the linked forum thread.

o7 commanders - fly fast (but never without the rebuy).

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Yay I won!

A huge thanks to you Alec for organising this race and giving me an excuse to come back to Parecon and introducing a whole raft of new people to it's delights. Well done to all of the competitors, it was great to see Alot back on course once again, and as I have said throughout this race it really was great to see so many new racers!

Long may they stay with us! Now that the race is over, ladies and gentlemen head to the bar where Bucky will be waiting for you.
eYVJIUW.gif

Oh wait, ha ha HAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Errr ... ignore that, just a story I've been writing up here at the Overlook hotel while I wait for new race submissions. Here's the actual updated scoreboard.

2joQxXa.png

So Lynx Savage managed to improve on the Nova's previous time, bumping the Mamba up to 19th place with a 14 stop 20 minute 22 second run. Bravo, kinda wish a few more Mamba's had been entered actually and I'd like to point out that my own demonstration run would have come 14th! 😊

If anyone else has any late submissions to send in then please get them to me by tomorrow morning.

Thanks!
6c2e50c78952f2fbc073417a61359f36.png

Last edited:
I'm glad I was able to participate and humbled by your praise @Alec Turner. Like you said, didn't think I would deliver that kind of performance on a first-time Buckeyball race, but I'll take it, especially 4th in a Courier for the Unlimited. If anyone wants to see my submitted runs, they are both highlighted from my stream playback. Here they are:

Regulated Viper Run: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/493864404

Unlimited Run (Imperial Courier): https://www.twitch.tv/videos/494523115

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
YES!! I broke top 20 on my first Bucky Ball event! WOOOOO!!
Is there a BuckyBall Squadron? Hehehe "The BuckyBallers"
There is a Buckyball Racing Club squadron yes :)

And for those of you who wouldn't know, we have our own system.
Come visit us in Fullerene C60. We have a station, Rebuy Prospect and a rare good, the fabled Buckyball Beer Mats. The Race Marshalls and the Furrycats are present to keep everyone in check too :D

I'm glad I was able to participate and humbled by your praise @Alec Turner. Like you said, didn't think I would deliver that kind of performance on a first-time Buckeyball race, but I'll take it, especially 4th in a Courier for the Unlimited. If anyone wants to see my submitted runs, they are both highlighted from my stream playback. Here they are:

Regulated Viper Run: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/493864404

Unlimited Run (Imperial Courier): https://www.twitch.tv/videos/494523115
Hey Cap, mind if I add your video links to the description of the promo video I made for this race?

Hey Cap, mind if I add your video links to the description of the promo video I made for this race?
Hey, I just realised I never replied to your query to me on this - you're welcome to use whatever you like from my footage.

As for everyone else - looking forward to watching some of these run videos once I get home! :D

Thanks very much indeed to Alec Turner for staging this race! Congratulations to the winners and well done to everyone who took part o7
This was one of those simple races that had surprising depth to it. It showed that the seconds really count on each run! I tried to figure out where I was losing my time and how much I had to make up on average over each docking to catch up and it was scary! I would be needing to improve by close to 10 seconds each docking to get near the podium and I could kind of see how to make up four seconds by being more consistent with my pad landings and approaches, especially passing through the airlock, and lithobraking when possible but I just couldn't fly consistently when being that aggressive. I was very happy with the Eagle for this course and I'll keep it in mind for future races.
Thanks again and welcome also to all the new racers! Fly fast!

@Alec Turner , I'm perfectly fine with coming 2nd, I think it's just one of those unwritten rules of the Universe by now...no forgiveness for the constant lack of brilliance of the pilot, but could you at least spare my very capable ship the humiliation of being called "Spirit Of Shenigan"? Thank you. :LOL:

Most you will have (and already had) better words, explanations and things to say than me, so I'll be short and to the point.

What. A. Blast. Peak performance Buckyball racing and hosting, not enough words to thank Alec, everything and everyone were good.

Yes, even @Esvandiary, while stealing me the pad on his way to stealing me the place.
Also thank you to everyone new who took the chance to participate, glad you were here and hope to see you again in some next event!

(Probably a video coming tomorrow, even if Alot kindly spared me the urgence to upload it as the best thing around 😅)

There is a Buckyball Racing Club squadron yes :)

And for those of you who wouldn't know, we have our own system.
Come visit us in Fullerene C60. We have a station, Rebuy Prospect and a rare good, the fabled Buckyball Beer Mats. The Race Marshalls and the Furrycats are present to keep everyone in check too :D

Nice! I sent in an application in game.

@Alec Turner. Technically this was my second BRC, due to my utter uselessness at the pomeche ridge challenge. Also I think I must have goofed on the form. My ship was actually called “Gloria Slap” (it’s a terrible pun) and rep to anyone who can remember what game that came from! Next time it will be (more appropriately) “Miles Behind” 😁

could you at least spare my very capable ship the humiliation of being called "Spirit Of Shenigan"? Thank you. :LOL:

Also I think I must have goofed on the form. My ship was actually called “Gloria Slap” (it’s a terrible pun) and rep to anyone who can remember what game that came from! Next time it will be (more appropriately) “Miles Behind” 😁

OK, no further additions to the final scores but just a couple of name corrections (whoops - sorry!)

yLMYjyW.png

Otherwise, not much more to add other than a couple of (not especially interesting) charts from the 59 submissions I eventually received.

NHUWFS2.png

mp2TEOE.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom