Funniest Video on getting started with ED VR I have seen hands down.

If you are thinking of getting VR for ED do watch it.. in fact watch it anyway. :) It's one the funniest and most entertaining videos I seen about starting ED in VR (and generally).

(Note: contains some coarse language, so PG recommended if you have kiddies).

[video=youtube_share;Fa0b2Kd2xhU]https://youtu.be/Fa0b2Kd2xhU[/video]

Last edited:
I do worry about anyone who has to google "landing gear" :)

But I hope FD watch this as it's an accurate reflection of the new player experience (both VR and non-VR).

Great video.
Yet it sums up learning to play elite from scratch.

I remember having to ask support how to get docking permission.

And that was when game was still in original beta.

Many of us have had advantage of learning new bits over quite a lot of time.

The list of controls these days is mind blowing.

Well done to the video maker for an honest and balanced view. Well edited and entertaining also.

Not sure how many years it's been since I started playing alpha 1 on a DK1, but it definitely never gets old! I can imagine it would be a lot to take in if I were starting from scratch, but the awe never really goes away! Keep flying commanders!

Not only did I laugh out loud when I saw it on the video, I'm chuckling a bit as I type it here: bin count.

The main gameplay element of Elite is learning how to play Elite. This bloke is obviously going to love this game if he's a science teacher. It's got science taught in a fun way. I do have to agree with him about the tutorials though. They are a lot better than they used to be, but I can see that they are still difficult for new players. The thing is I have no idea what they can do to make it easier. Maybe some sort of story/tutorial where the beginner is forced into commonplace traps and is given incredibly obvious hints on how to avoid those traps in the future.

one thing that would help a lot would be a choice of crew cockpit, tutoring should show original cockpit
this way tutoring a new player would be lots easier

<snipped> Maybe some sort of story/tutorial where the beginner is forced into commonplace traps and is given incredibly obvious hints on how to avoid those traps in the future.
Maybe some infinite shields type setup, where you can have many repeated goes without it resetting.

... just thinking can I have that in main game also? :D

Awesome video, quite amusing and a great reminder of why I love this game. :) Thanks for sharing this, I would have missed it thinking it was only about VR problems.

Maybe some infinite shields type setup, where you can have many repeated goes without it resetting.

... just thinking can I have that in main game also? :D

If you've ever played the LucasArts point and click adventures you'll know that it's possible to get as frustrated with an inability to move forwards as it is to repeatedly die.

The Discord mentoring idea for new players was great, but I'm not sure how successful it's been. It's quite a skill to be able to talk someone through a difficult manoeuvre when you can't see what that person's doing wrong, or how they have their controls set up.

Fantastic video - thank you - repped

I bought into Kickstarter way way back and haven't really explored Elite yet due to all the confusion of learning it. Plus it's changed so much since the earliest days just after launch.

'Her indoors' is going shopping to Paris this weekend so I'm going to brave it - start in solo mode (or sumit like that) and try and earn a few credits to get me out a the bubble and into the space to enjoy the views.

I hope i can learn how to play and control this game... me .. very dyslexic so not so good at reading instructions.. youtube seems the way till i can convert a person I know into buying this game.

Last edited:
Absolutely true!
That was me just about a year ago,
At the time I did not even know what a HOTAS was...
I've selected ED because I needed to keep my mind busy with something extremely difficult to learn.
Currently after about 1800 hour of gameplay I feel much better,
Thanks ED!
o7
Cmdr Pumba57

Top Bottom