FX17 Founders Pass Loot Review

dakcpXo.jpg

My wife and I both attended the Frontier Expo as Founders, so I basically got two of everything, with the exception of the T-shirt, which I got in her size and she's going to wear, and the writing mat which she's going to use at work, so I thought I'd do a bit of rundown on what we got in our packs and offer some constructive criticism.

First of all...
T-Shirt
Nice quality, actually. I was very impressed with this; it's really comfortable and fits well, and it's definitely not a thin cheapo T-shirt. The print quality on it seems quite good too. It's got the word Founder stitched into the arm as well. No complaints on this one.

Planet Coaster Travel Cup
Similarly a very nice, themed addition, and something that's always practical and useful for everyday life. The design is a little ... Stark, though, and it's going to take some serious washing to get the plastic smell out of it.

But, so far so good.

ED Starmap Writing Mat
Okay, initially I wasn't sure of this, but when I looked closely, I really like it. Seems quite good quality too. I think everyone got one of these? Anyway, not the ED themed addition I thought we'd get (ED logo keyring, or something was my initial thought), but I'm not unhappy with it. I'll certainly use it at work, as will my wife.

Game Themed Postcards
A decent selection, although I find the addition of the career opportunities card a little odd. Felt like I was at a job fayre, rather than game expo. Even stranger was that when I swung by the careers desk, there weren't any of these cards actually there, where I'd expect them to be. Still, the postcards are pretty much as expected, highlighting ED, PC, FX17 and JWE, and are of nice thick card stock.

Founders Collector's Coin
Oh boy... I gotta say I was both impressed and disappointed by this. I knew we'd get a collectible... But honestly I was hoping for a little model Cobra or bobblehead; something a bit more display worthy and thematic. t the same time, the coin itself has impressive weight and thickness to it. I just don't know what to do with it and I'm not sure it exemplifies my experience of being at the Expo. Something to consider for future, FD?

Print of the First In-Engine JWE Screenshot
Coming mysteriously in a thick do-not-bend envelope, I was expecting something really nice in here. And.... Meh. The print quality is fine, and I get that the JWE team are really proud of this screenshot, but I honestly thought it would be signed by the JWE team at the very least. I've seen some lovely looking signed ED prints going around on livestreams, so I was kinda expecting something like this. I'm not against the screenshot at all, and it's nice, but here's another thing that could be improved on, I feel.

Sticker Pack
I haven't opened these or decided where to put them or anything yet, so I'm undecided on them. As a concept they're quite nice.

Digital Loot
Now this lot I REALLY am impressed with. A Paintjob, a decal and 3 bobbleheads, once of which being the coveted David Braben bobblehead!? Yes please. Very happy that the paintjob worked on 3 of my ships, although it could be made clearer what ships they're compatible with when you redeem the code.
STTpnar.png

FOskjhG.png

zrHehon.png

NmErGUU.png

3IeZT4L.png
Gotta say, thank you for listening to the community with the DB bobblehead, it's great :D

Thrustmaster's Discount Code
This is the biggest disappointment. I've tried numerous times to claim my discount and it comes back as not valid. This needs sorting out pronto, since it's limited to a week.

Additional things
FD business card... Wow, where on earth did you get those done? They look great and they look very expensive to produce.

FX17 pass and lanyard... Excellent quality; could have had "Founder" printed on both sides so to avoid being held up by security until you've turned it around so they could see it printed on the bottom.

FX17 Wrist Band... Interesting choice of style. Never seen that before, and I'm not sure what purpose it serves since we had the lanyard pass anyway.

Anyway, that's all. If anyone wants to chime in with the other ships the paintjob is available on, and possibly what non-founders got in their bags, that would be interesting. Also, please feel free to post up your loot that you got while going around and buying bits.

Last edited:
FX17 Wrist Band... Interesting choice of style. Never seen that before, and I'm not sure what purpose it serves since we had the lanyard pass anyway.

This is to stop people dropping lanyards out of windows or off the smoking balcony or whatever to a friend below. It's a certain way of having a double verification of the person with the lanyard.

Otherwise I agree.

Not personally sure I got value out of the Founders Pass, I did make use of the early entry into some events and the free drink alone was worth over a fiver. Either way can't complain, very much enjoyed yesterday :)

This is to stop people dropping lanyards out of windows or off the smoking balcony or whatever to a friend below. It's a certain way of having a double verification of the person with the lanyard.

Otherwise I agree.

Not personally sure I got value out of the Founders Pass, I did make use of the early entry into some events and the free drink alone was worth over a fiver. Either way can't complain, very much enjoyed yesterday :)

We didn't manage to come back for the drink. We definitely missed out on Founder stuff on account of turning up later because of hospital appointments. Although I was very happy with the time I spent there. Wished we could have stayed for the after party, but I promised my wife dinner, and she was getting very hungry.

I am sure I'm not alone in thinking the catering during the event was poor.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Non-founders got a different T-shirt design which basically was black with "Frontier Expo 17" on the front in white, it looks quite nice too. No stickers, no coin, no business card. The rest seems the same as your bag.

Also looks like we got the same digital stuff (which I was worried we non-founders would not get, so very happy we did).

Digital Loot
Now this lot I REALLY am impressed with. A Paintjob, a decal and 3 bobbleheads, once of which being the coveted David Braben bobblehead!? Yes please. Very happy that the paintjob worked on 3 of my ships, although it could be made clearer what ships they're compatible with when you redeem the code.

Do we have a full list of what ships the skin works on yet?

I know it doesn't work on the Vulture...

Do we have a full list of what ships the skin works on yet?

I know it doesn't work on the Vulture...

Not yet, here's what I know:

Compatible
- Asp X
- Python
- Anaconda

Not Compatible
- Beluga Liner
- Cobra MkIV
- Sidewinder
- Federal Corvette
- Imperial Cutter
- Vulture
- Cobra MkIII
- Type 6
- Viper MkIII
- DBX
- Eagle

Would be helpful to test on as many ships as we can. I know there are a number of players who have all the ships, would be useful to hear from them, and I'll update this list.

I can't imagine the Cobra MkIII not being compatible though...
EDIT I stand corrected and surprised.

Last edited:
I thought there was one free drink included with the Founders ticket (as did others I spoke too). However, the bar staff were none the wiser (though I did manage to get a double out of them before they realised that they weren't allowed to serve them :) ).

Did any Founder get a free drink?

I thought there was one free drink included with the Founders ticket (as did others I spoke too). However, the bar staff were none the wiser (though I did manage to get a double out of them before they realised that they weren't allowed to serve them :) ).

Did any Founder get a free drink?

They handed out free drinks tokens for founders at the very start of the afterparty at 7:45ish before everyone else was allowed in. It wasn't the best though as they were originally meant to be in the goodie bags at the start but got missed.

It wasn't the best for any founders that missed that but for me and a lot of others that were there at the time it worked ok. Sorry to hear that at those prices...

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Not yet, here's what I know:

Compatible
- Asp X
- Python
- Anaconda

Not Compatible
- Beluga Liner
- Cobra MkIV
- Sidewinder
- Federal Corvette
- Imperial Cutter
- Vulture

Would be helpful to test on as many ships as we can. I know there are a number of players who have all the ships, would be useful to hear from them, and I'll update this list.

I can't imagine the Cobra MkIII not being compatible though...

Cobra MkIII is incompatible, as is the Type-6 and Viper Mk3 also incompatible.

Edit: DBX incompatible also

Last edited:
Oh, one thing I will add is the FX2017 flightsuit in holo-me looks pretty awesome. Not had chance to check out ship skins yet due to being at Beagle Point.

Top Bottom