Astronomy / Space Gaia, The Mother of All Telescopes...

Artifacts, or Gaia, The Mother of All Telescopes...

So a new 1bn pixel camera is going into space: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23779294

Looks like it will be pretty good at mapping the galaxy, so to avoid repeating the previous discussion in regards to why civilization in the far future won't already have discovered everything, I was wondering more about the 'Dark Ages' concept. History runs in cycles, bits and pieces are lost and forgotten, so there's a plausible story there.

Based on this and a podcast I heard about a chappy who built a replica of the Antikythera mechanism, I searched the proposal threads to see if there was a suggestion of Ancient Artifacts. Not alien, but human and more than just maps and lost generation ships.

Stuff like space hulks, abandoned colonies, and smaller, item-sized like the mechanism, or old books. Adding actual provenance to the 'small package' missions. Maybe grades of items like trading cards- common, uncommon, rare, unique. I'd find a lot more emotional investment in missions where I have to transport a rare 1000 year old Bible, or the Mona Lisa. Add in the possibility of the item being destroyed in a fight and its sweaty palms time.

Does the DDF already have this sewn up, or is this a new idea?

Could we submit drabbles directly related to specific items and have members vote on the best story for each one?

Do the writers already have those, or are they procedurally generated too?

Last edited:
That's quite some bit of engineering. Mind boggling amounts of data.

Relics of lost or forgotten worlds and civilisations sounds like good game stuff.

Just too dumb?

I'm disappointed that none of the literary types have shown any interest. Seems like a neat idea to me, but maybe one has to be a $1000 backer to be allowed to contribute to the Elite background fiction...

I love ancient civilisations, I love these OOPArts as they are known and the mystery and genius they reveal.

One of the reasons I loved Babylon 5 was early in season 1 they hinted there was more to the history of the world than we knew. I remember thinking 'wouldn't it be wonderful if there was more of this'. AND THERE WAS. The whole concept was based on a war between races millions of years old. It was wonderful.

I like that we have mysteries, I like that not all of them have solutions. It'd be kinda boring if we discovered EVERYTHING.

Life is too short...

It would be very boring if we knew it all, for sure.

I think I may have inadvertantly pulled my own discussion off topic before I even finished the first post. I really wanted to focus on the potential opportunity to involve backers and forum members in a little piece of the game. I thought it would get more of a positive reception, but it's probably that most didn't even manage to finish reading the OP./..

Le sigh.

It would be very boring if we knew it all, for sure.

I think I may have inadvertantly pulled my own discussion off topic before I even finished the first post. I really wanted to focus on the potential opportunity to involve backers and forum members in a little piece of the game. I thought it would get more of a positive reception, but it's probably that most didn't even manage to finish reading the OP./..

Le sigh.

I read it, I replied to it, I still don't entirely understand where you were going with it ;) I enjoyed the things mentioned. Astronomy. Check. Weird stuff from history. Check. Point. Errr... I enjoyed the post :D

Ambiguity is not my friend...

I read it, I replied to it, I still don't entirely understand where you were going with it ;) I enjoyed the things mentioned. Astronomy. Check. Weird stuff from history. Check. Point. Errr... I enjoyed the post :D

Yes, I did notice that in my head, it makes sense. Outside my head, it makes nonsense. And I wasn't even drunk at the time.

Maybe a rephrasing of the question is in order...soo...

How about having drabble contests to determine the backstory to Artifact items in-game for those 'small package' missions. Instead of it just being a 'birthday gift', or the seventh list of local mafia bosses names, it could be actual real items, now with a story to back it up. Immersion building, ya know?

Yes, I did notice that in my head, it makes sense. Outside my head, it makes nonsense. And I wasn't even drunk at the time.

Maybe a rephrasing of the question is in order...soo...

How about having drabble contests to determine the backstory to Artifact items in-game for those 'small package' missions. Instead of it just being a 'birthday gift', or the seventh list of local mafia bosses names, it could be actual real items, now with a story to back it up. Immersion building, ya know?

That's a slightly different contest. 100 word max little articles on items in game. You'd need a decent idea of the history though, and we don't. Yet. I'm waiting on Selezen's book to get that.

Meeting in the DMZ...

That's a slightly different contest. 100 word max little articles on items in game. You'd need a decent idea of the history though, and we don't. Yet. I'm waiting on Selezen's book to get that.

But I hope this is closer to being understandable now? You are my Viet-Cong.

But some of the items don't need to be fiction, they could be real stuff from history- Unique and valuable works of art, lost items of technology, or cultural treasures...catching my drift?

But I hope this is closer to being understandable now? You are my Viet-Cong.

But some of the items don't need to be fiction, they could be real stuff from history- Unique and valuable works of art, lost items of technology, or cultural treasures...catching my drift?

Yeah with you now.

I'm disappointed that none of the literary types have shown any interest. Seems like a neat idea to me, but maybe one has to be a $1000 backer to be allowed to contribute to the Elite background fiction...

I thought it was £4,500 or basically $9,000....

But yeah, I like the idea of bits of player-generated fiction sneaking into the game, and drabbles seem like a good way of keeping it short enough to read.

No change out of that...

I thought it was £4,500 or basically $9,000....

But yeah, I like the idea of bits of player-generated fiction sneaking into the game, and drabbles seem like a good way of keeping it short enough to read.

Ha! I think you overestimate the power of the pound nowadays. :p

I used to be super-thrilled to visit the US with all my gold coins that made dollars look like monopoly money, but it's not quite so good these days. A quid will get you maybe a buck-50 at the exchange. On the plus side, now I live here, I can almost afford to buy some stuff from Britian...not sure what I'd want though. Maybe tea. Probably chocolate. Definitely Bisto gravy. I miss Bisto. I miss real chocolate too. American chocolate tastes like candles. And they call them 'candies'. Silly people.

Last edited:
Greatest threat to the Elite Dangerous dev team?

I just read about Gaia and their mission is apparently aiming to compile a 3D space catalogue of approximately 1 billion stars, or roughly 1% of the stars in the Milky Way. They say: "Gaia will create an extremely precise three-dimensional map of stars throughout the Milky Way galaxy".

Luckily that it's only 1% of the Galaxy. Otherwise FD would be looking at a gruesome editing job. :)

Top Bottom