Galaxy Backdrop Visual Update

I would like the galaxy backdrop to look more true to reality (in the sense of how our telescopes view them).

The top image below was taken above the plane of the galaxy (with XML-tweaks to render more stars and nebulae—still fairly close to default settings). The below image is the same as the top which I've blended with the ESO Milky Way panorama—just to showcase what changes could be made to make it look better.

This would be a nice change to have along with the exploration updates in Q4.

iJRX7is.jpg

Tell me what you think and if you'd also like to see some changes to the galaxy backdrop.

I like both your pictures, but I may be confused about something in your post. What do you mean by how our telescopes see them?
Andromeda
Andromeda_Galaxy_Hubble.jpg
. NCG 2500
Hubble-Image-of-the-Week-Spiral-Galaxy-NGC-2500.jpg
. Whirlpool
M51-with-12hours_AOXLumPugh.jpg

Last edited:
i am sure there is no such thing as a backdrop

The backdrop is static and generated for each system. It doesn't change regardless of how far you travel in supercruise, sadly. Otherwise we'd have some really cool fly-troughs of nebulae (I found it out the hard way). The same goes for stars, as showcased here (they don't spawn until you hyperspace): [video=youtube;0hByeJ_Ct3c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hByeJ_Ct3c[/video]

I like both your pictures, but I may be confused about something in your post. What do you mean by how our telescopes see them?

I'm just referring to most long-exposure shots of the Milky Way which shows a higher density of stars, in addition to galactic dust, more clearly. See e.g. ESO panoramas:

It works. I'm using such changes now. But it only takes you so far, and it's difficult to get it well balanced. Here's my current look:
9IVvAan.jpg

But it makes stars overbright. So I'd rather have a formal visual improvement by FD.

Top Bottom