Newcomer / Intro Galaxy Map Question ....

Yes, but if you've been there, it reveals some system details. You'd, for example, be able to see what planets were in a system. And bases, If any.

Yes, but if you've been there, it reveals some system details. You'd, for example, be able to see what planets were in a system. And bases, If any.

no it doesn't work like that - it is literally just a list of systems you HAVE been to for displaying on the galaxy map, only for the galaxy map visited / not visited filtering - it doesn't determine if you can see the system map - that is held on the server

You can download the complete list of systems visited by everyone and use that as your cache - so you can visit only undiscovered systems if you want - that is the only "hack" I have heard of - seems a daft thing to do in my opinion.

Well ........ I've just completed 24 system jumps (43.05Ly) from Changthini to Dromi and I was not stop from docking at Dimery Prospect a station in the Noob Zone. So much for leaving the Noob Zone and being prevented from returning. Mind you, as yet, I haven't achieved any promotable rank or been offered that special high valued graduation mission. Until I achieve both of those, and I keep my Federal Noob Zone Access Permit, I appear to be able to move in and out of the Noob Zone at will.

Didn't know "visited stars" was held locally! Wouldn't that be open to hacking?

And... First disco's - presume they're server-side? I'd hope so :)
Check the exploration subforum, or the API/tools - ISTR that someone already wrote a tool to export/import lists of stars. There are a few edge cases where this can be useful for things like joint sector surveys.

First discoveries are server side. And, independent of that, on EDSM.

..... I haven't achieved any promotable rank ......., I appear to be able to move in and out of the Noob Zone at will.

That is what we told you - you lose the permit on docking outside the zone AFTER ONE PROMOTION. (Normally people get a trading or combat promotion after a couple of missions - you can get an exploration promotion inside the bubble from driving in your SRV and collecting {discovering} raw materials from shooting meteorites and outcrops.)

Well ........ I've just completed 24 system jumps (43.05Ly) from Changthini to Dromi and I was not stop from docking at Dimery Prospect a station in the Noob Zone. So much for leaving the Noob Zone and being prevented from returning. Mind you, as yet, I haven't achieved any promotable rank or been offered that special high valued graduation mission. Until I achieve both of those, and I keep my Federal Noob Zone Access Permit, I appear to be able to move in and out of the Noob Zone at will.

It's quite clear in the manual you won't be banned from the noob zone until two things happen, 1) you rank up in one of the three professions, trade, exploration or combat, and 2) you dock in a station outside the noob zone. So yes, as long as you only fulfill one of those requirements you can indeed move in and out of the noob zone at will! For instance you can level up trade as much as you want and still be in the noob zone, but the moment you leave it and dock you can't get back.

It's quite clear in the manual you won't be banned from the noob zone until two things happen, 1) you rank up in one of the three professions, trade, exploration or combat, and 2) you dock in a station outside the noob zone. So yes, as long as you only fulfill one of those requirements you can indeed move in and out of the noob zone at will! For instance you can level up trade as much as you want and still be in the noob zone, but the moment you leave it and dock you can't get back.
Yes thanks. I was working on the premise that once I left the Noob Zone, irrespective of my status, I would be locked out. What I don't understand is how I got out so far in the first place. It wasn't by design. However, it's all been good: Hyper Jumping, Supercruising, fuel scooping, planet landing, docking, getting Sun Burnt, being repaired ...... and the rest. Great stuff! (y)

The list of stars you have visited is stored in the "visited stars" cache, this is stored locally like the journals, if you re-install or play from another computer this list will not be available unless you back it up and bring it with you. Since it's just a list it is effectively infinite up to the file size allowed by windows.
Consoles may be different. They are different from PCs in some ways. For example, consoles can't change HUD colors because that's a file edit. Just a thought. :unsure:

Consoles may be different. They are different from PCs in some ways. For example, consoles can't change HUD colors because that's a file edit. Just a thought. :unsure:

Very true, all my references are regarding PC's, the only console I have owned was an Atari 2600, sadly they went massively downhill from that high!

Now this is disappointing. 😠
I thought I had Galaxy Map Route planning beaten, but no. 😠
Just look at this:
ED - Galaxy Map - Shui Wei Sector FH-U B3-1.jpg
"Route plotting failed"
Why ?
It's not that far. Yes out of my fuel range, but that's normally covered by full and dotted lines.
Maybe I need to set the galaxy map to "Fuel Scoop Stars" only ....... YES!!!! That's it!!!!
ED - Galaxy Map - SHUI WEI SECTOR FH-U B3-1 (1).jpg
Stupid me ............ 😄

Now this is disappointing. 😠
I thought I had Galaxy Map Route planning beaten, but no. 😠
Just look at this:
View attachment 197725
"Route plotting failed"
Why ?
It's not that far. Yes out of my fuel range, but that's normally covered by full and dotted lines.
Maybe I need to set the galaxy map to "Fuel Scoop Stars" only ....... YES!!!! That's it!!!!
View attachment 197726
Stupid me ............ 😄
Geees !!!!! I've got a lot to learn and hence a long way to go ........ however ..... ;)

Last edited:
Geees !!!!! I've got a lot to learn and hence a long way to go ........ however ..... ;)

The galaxy map can throw odd behaviour out now and then, even us experienced explorers sometimes have issues, as you found though, there's usually a way around it.

The galaxy map can throw odd behaviour out now and then, even us experienced explorers sometimes have issues, as you found though, there's usually a way around it.
But now I've paid the ultimate price for getting to close Fuel Scooping !!! 😖 Stupid me !!! 😢
I got careless and either damaged many of my extra bits (incl. my FSD and auto docking mods) or destroyed them altogether.
I decide to return to home base and get repaired and re-fueled. Had enough fuel to get back safely.
Request docking approval, which I got, but, b*g**r, the auto docking does't work !!! 😲
No problem, I'll manually land her ....... no ........ I didn't forget to put the gear down ..... ;) ...... but when I set her down on the Pad it wouldn't dock .... :unsure:
No problem, go 4 minutes left before I run out of time, I'll check my notes on "manual landing procedures". Now where are they ?
Hmmmm ...... still go 2 minutes ...... can't find ...... no need to panic ..... I'll check, there must be a keybinding to lock her down ......
S**T !!! 1 minute ....... DON"T PANIC !!!!! ....... the Station CMDR is yelling at me !!! ....... HELPPPPPPPPP !!!!
Oh! he's given me 1 minute to get off his station ..... 😰:cry:😖
29, 28, 27 ....... 10, 9, 8, ....... S**T !!! Just get her through that bloody slot out of the station ...... 3,2,1, BANG! I'm dead ...... :sick:
Now serving my time in detention.
Lesson learned: You can't always rely on Auto this and Auto that. Sometimes they just don't work ...... :censored:

My next tutorial ....... manual take-off and docking. ;)

....... this has been a tough day so far ....... :confused:

Last edited:
But now I've paid the ultimate price for getting to close Fuel Scooping !!! 😖 Stupid me !!! 😢
I got careless and either damaged many of my extra bits (incl. my FSD and auto docking mods) or destroyed them altogether.
I decide to return to home base and get repaired and re-fueled. Had enough fuel to get back safely.
Request docking approval, which I got, but, b*g**r, the auto docking does't work !!! 😲
No problem, I'll manually land her ....... no ........ I didn't forget to put the gear down ..... ;) ...... but when I set her down on the Pad it wouldn't dock .... :unsure:
No problem, go 4 minutes left before I run out of time, I'll check my notes on "manual landing procedures". Now where are they ?
Hmmmm ...... still go 2 minutes ...... can't find ...... no need to panic ..... I'll check, there must be a keybinding to lock her down ......
S**T !!! 1 minute ....... DON"T PANIC !!!!! ....... the Station CMDR is yelling at me !!! ....... HELPPPPPPPPP !!!!
Oh! he's given me 1 minute to get off his station ..... 😰:cry:😖
29, 28, 27 ....... 10, 9, 8, ....... S**T !!! Just get her through that bloody slot out of the station ...... 3,2,1, BANG! I'm dead ...... :sick:
Now serving my time in detention.
Lesson learned: You can't always rely on Auto this and Auto that. Sometimes they just don't work ...... :censored:

Something to read while I'm in detention ....
Manual Docking | Introduction to the flight model - Elite: Dangerous Game Guide | gamepressure.com

OK ......... been released from detention. Now here as a visitor ....... ;)
All I can say is thank God for Cartographers! :D

Sounds like you learned something important, though (and I bet you had fun, even so). This game always has something to teach :)

Top Bottom