Galaxy map “reset” my visit stars

Hi cmdrs!!!

im coming back from a few months of inactivity in ED!
updated my game, binded all my controls for my X56 Rhino and VR headset (dont know why i had to do it, i have been out for long periods of times before!), and set a route to a T-type star (CSI 44-17417)
As i was exploring the options in the galaxy map, i realize that all my visited stars as been erazed/reset to none! :(

i have been playing the gane since 2016, and i have over +1000 hours of exploration!
I wonder what else was been reset or deleted from my history/account.

i still have my money and all my ships, i guess its just data from the galaxy map

any one else with the same “problem”?

O7
ELgatu

Ok, i didnt know that :(

but like i said before, this was not the first time i uninstall the game from steam.
never happened before.

maybe a did something different this time.

steam should have those settings and other files saved in the clow.

guess i have to live with that :p

ty for your reply

updated my game, binded all my controls for my X56 Rhino and VR headset (dont know why i had to do it, i have been out for long periods of times before!)
It sounds like you might have managed to delete or move some files. Look for a file called "VisitedStarsCache.dat".It should be in a numbered folder under %APPDATA%/yourusername/Frontier Developments/Elite Dangerous/. So, since you make regular backups of your computer you may be able to find an old copy of it.

It could also have got mislaid if you changed your Windows user or logged in as a different Windows user.

I hope that you are able to find that file, OP!

I found the VisitedStarsCache.dat file in a couple of locations:

1)
...in a beta directory (I presume this is no longer in use because the file is small and not recently dated). The directory location is:
C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\beta4716311

2)
In a so-numbered subdirectory. The file has the same date as when I last played. It's rather large (not in terms of file size but in terms of content). It is a binary file, not a text or XML file. The location where I found this file is:
C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\4716311

I think I'll be adding this to my list of files to back up!

Other goodies:

I found a directory full of files that appear to be trade data. There are over 1300 of them. Are these important enough to back up?
C:\Users\<name>AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\4803843

There's also a CommanderHistory directory containing a single file called (almost obviously) Commander1234567.cmdrHistory (7-digit number changed).
This isn't a binary file (it's text), but it's loaded with alpha-numeric characters that aren't readily intelligible.
The location of this directory is:
C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\CommanderHistory

Is this important enough to back up?

I routinely back up the following directory in its entirety (meaning all subdirectories) because these contain a host of important stuff...
C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options

Last edited:
There's a list of visited stars? Can it be accessed from the game?
Or by any other means?
In game, you apply the filter "Visited Stars" on the Galaxy Map, and all the visited stars will appear blue, while everything else is red.
If the file is deleted, you will not be able to see the blue stars, and a new file will be started when you run the game the next time.
The game will still know the systems you've visited, but for some reason the log read by the filter is stored locally.

Top Bottom