GALNET - 13 OCT 3307 - Orion University Claims Ownership of Dredger

GALNET - 13 OCT 3307 - Orion University Claims Ownership of Dredger

The ancient spacefaring home of the Scriveners Clan is the legal property of Orion University, according to newfound historical records.

The Scriveners Clan is a nomadic tribe travelling onboard a self-sufficient Dredger-class bulk cruiser. Their society is descended from an academic organisation that sent out a research fleet two centuries ago. Unlike some dredger clans, they refuse to have any contact with outsiders.

Vice Chancellor Leland Pettigrew of Orion University made this statement:

“In the year 3088, Dredger J-403 was commissioned for an exploration mission by an academic institute named Scrivener College. This was absorbed into our university in 3125. Documents detailing these facts were recently discovered in our archives and verified by the courts.”

“Therefore the dredger, including all of its contents, is legally owned by Orion University. Naturally we bear no ill will toward its current populace, but the vessel they inhabit has always been our commercial property.”

The Scriveners Clan dredger was last seen in the Perseus Dark Region KC-V c2-2 system, where it was salvaging the Hesperus megaship. On the 9th of July it made a hyperspace jump to an unknown destination within 500 light years.

Orion University is the largest independent educational institution in the core systems, rivalled only by the Imperial Science Academy and Olympus Village University.

Source

ooc:

"Orion University", huh? fights urge to make some joke about green-skinned space babes 😜

Anyway, guess there'll be either an event or CG soon to find Dredger J-403 :unsure:

Wrong Dredger, Rubbernuke... that was the Blue Viper Clan, not the Scriveners. ;)
When you get the munchies after Helix, passing ships are just this in your dredger:

1634129404378.png

If they ever declared the dredger as 'lost in space' they have no more claims to it as property and whoever took possession of it after that fact is the legal owner. They may declare their lack of 'ill will' all they want, if they try to "repossess" the Scrivener dredger, they will find out I have a squeaky clean pair of high capacity rapid fire missile launchers that bear no ill will either but will blow them up nonetheless.

Vice Chancellor Leland Pettigrew of Orion University made this statement:

“In the year 3088, Dredger J-403 was commissioned for an exploration mission by an academic institute named Scrivener College. This was absorbed into our university in 3125. Documents detailing these facts were recently discovered in our archives and verified by the courts.”

“Therefore the dredger, including all of its contents, is legally owned by Orion University. Naturally we bear no ill will toward its current populace, but the vessel they inhabit has always been our commercial property.”
I'm not sure that necessarily follows even for ownership of the Dredger itself - the Dredger might have been owned by them in 3088, but it could quite easily have had its ownership transferred since. That Orion hasn't kept / can't find / never had documents relating to that transfer doesn't mean it didn't happen.

It certainly doesn't automatically follow for any contents which weren't on the original mission manifest, depending on the circumstances in which they were brought aboard.

(Presumably it's the contents that they're after, as I can't imagine they've got much use for a ship of a design that's been obsolete for centuries)

I'm not sure that necessarily follows even for ownership of the Dredger itself - the Dredger might have been owned by them in 3088, but it could quite easily have had its ownership transferred since. That Orion hasn't kept / can't find / never had documents relating to that transfer doesn't mean it didn't happen.

It certainly doesn't automatically follow for any contents which weren't on the original mission manifest, depending on the circumstances in which they were brought aboard.

(Presumably it's the contents that they're after, as I can't imagine they've got much use for a ship of a design that's been obsolete for centuries)
Its going to be a possibly interesting setup for a CG- to find it (and thus validate the Orion Unis standpoint) by taking it back, or, somehow siding with the rights of those on board.

Its going to be a possibly interesting setup for a CG- to find it (and thus validate the Orion Unis standpoint) by taking it back, or, somehow siding with the rights of those on board.
Yes - although, with the Scriveners having no interest in communicating with outsiders, that might be tricky to arrange.

Yes - although, with the Scriveners having no interest in communicating with outsiders, that might be tricky to arrange.
It would not matter, depending on how heavy handed the Unis intermediaries wished to be- especially if the core contained something that was deemed vital. It would also bring in a Salvation angle too, who may want it as well at any cost.

The dilemma would / could be who's welfare is seen as more important...the many or the few?

1634134039609.png

Pretty sure if the clan took this to some kind of court, they would have a really good chance of winning as this claim of ownership is likely hundreds of years removed from actual possession and maintenance of said property. And given that it wasn't stolen but apparently abandoned by the parent company .... i think the law (if it's anything like many current country's regarding property) would be on the current occupants side.

It would not matter, depending on how heavy handed the Unis intermediaries wished to be- especially if the core contained something that was deemed vital. It would also bring in a Salvation angle too, who may want it as well at any cost.
Oh, I definitely expect the university to go in armed if it gets ignored.

What I mean is that if the Scriveners aren't communicating, it might be tougher for any resistance to them to be set up in a CG framework.

That said, I have a suspicion that Salvation may have tipped them off about the Hesperus location in the first place - the timing is way too much of a coincidence otherwise, and it lets him lead us to the Guardian battlefield without it being too obvious that he already knew perfectly well where it was. If that's the case he might have reasons to fund protection for them. (But if Salvation is the one funding the protection, it probably makes the resulting CG too predictable)

...given that it's a Dredger, of course, it'd be interesting to run it not as a CG. The Dredger is just under attack by university security - feed it Tritium so it can escape. Don't know if they can track what a Dredger eats, of course.

Oh, I definitely expect the university to go in armed if it gets ignored.

What I mean is that if the Scriveners aren't communicating, it might be tougher for any resistance to them to be set up in a CG framework.

That said, I have a suspicion that Salvation may have tipped them off about the Hesperus location in the first place - the timing is way too much of a coincidence otherwise, and it lets him lead us to the Guardian battlefield without it being too obvious that he already knew perfectly well where it was. If that's the case he might have reasons to fund protection for them. (But if Salvation is the one funding the protection, it probably makes the resulting CG too predictable)

...given that it's a Dredger, of course, it'd be interesting to run it not as a CG. The Dredger is just under attack by university security - feed it Tritium so it can escape. Don't know if they can track what a Dredger eats, of course.
It (the ship) become damaged and require time to repair (so bus in supplies) perhaps- so it would be a race based on time maybe before a story based lock prevents it jumping maybe, or that the uni want scans of a hostile ship (thus taking the core data).

In any case it would have to be a non Vs CG (akin to the early ones) which offer parallel objectives.

Last edited:
Top Bottom