Notice GalNet changes

Michael Brooks jumped ship and went to work with dinosaurs. I do miss the days when he was an active part of the Elite lore and development. Since he left, to me anyways, it appears Elite Dangerous has slowly but steadily becoming more and more dumbed down and gearing more towards consoles, leaving the PC Master race behind.​
. . .​
That's a very rose-tinted recollection of the early days. It was during this period that all the half-baked placeholder mechanics were introduced.
. . .

Fair enough about the in-game mechanics, but I was referring to the way he handled lore content and the overall feel of the UI back then. Today the UI is less elegant IMO. But Hey, I am just an old fart who happens to enjoy flying around in the Elite: Dangerous galaxy.

I guess the new players that Frontier are so aciduously courting will accept the 'new' Galnet having nothing to compare it with.

I think that Frontier are shooting themselves in the foot though. They are encouraging a generation of players that expects continuous development and then telling them no significant updates for at least a year.

In the foreseeable future, GalNet articles will concentrate on in-game activity, such as Interstellar Initiatives, the release of new ships and modules, and significant narrative developments.

Significant Narrative Developments.

To my chagrin, Interstellar Initiatives at least have taken the Community Goals and provided a modicum of Narrative development now FDev is better understanding how to implement them. I mean, Enclave: we didn’t vote via forum on where to put the meta alloys, but we do have a bunch of bases you can roast kielbasa on still since they all sit 600ly from Beryllium.

Does that mean when I plunk down my money to purchase the 2020 installment, I can expect “Significant Narrative Development” to accompany space legs? I think getting to walk around my ship will be interesting, but not for long if there is no purpose behind it. And a mission on the mission board that says, “walk this data over to [insert the procedurally generated person, place or thing]” does not count as a Significant Narrative Development, anymore than grinding engineers helps me develop my “Personal Narrative.” IDK, maybe things like IIs can be “reported” on enough to make them significant, but really how often does something galactically significant happen?

Having base building, fleet carriers, and space legs, as been hyped and rumored, might be fun, but without the gameplay it’s just stuff. Galnet might not be the best avenue to provide Story and Narrative into this purposeless sandbox, but it is an established avenue. And so if FDev isn’t planning on putting in the effort to inject Story into this galaxy, then FDev has left behind one of the Hallmarks of the Elite Series.

Seems FDev might be building lots of carts, but no ones feeding the horses...

Dear Frontier Development,

I guess it all depends on how much of the story you will no longer be publishing. In a space simulation game where the slogan was always, "build your own story" or "trail your own path", you can not take out the larger galactic story arc that most people loved and used to build on that arc. In fact, I used to read/listen to Galnet all the time, in the game and out of the game. I'd go on my phone and read the articles as if I were reading the Wall Street Journal or the New York Times.

I hope discoveries, Thargoids, major conflicts between factions, etc. are still published. I also hope that you will once again allow player submitted and approved stories/development as well. I love reading about other commander's accomplishments, new records/discoveries, and just what crazy things the community is up to. I also hope that Galnet doesn't just turn into a big "sales flyer" to promote out of game purchases such as paint jobs and other items including perhaps even the Arx system...if this is the case, it's starting to slowly sound like other space MMO's, and I don't want Elite to turn into those, we have those...we need Elite: Dangerous! Thank you very much for your time.

Best Regards,
-CMDR Thomas W. James of Canonn Interstellar Group
...a huge, huge fan of the Elite space entertainment!

Last edited:
we’re going to be reducing the number of GalNet stories that we produce and instead focus on covering in-game content.

Increased coverage of in-game content is a good thing -- but I'll miss the supplementary stories on Galnet. They helped flesh out the world of Elite. They made it feel like a more realistic place. They added to the game's lore. I hope you'll reconsider cutting them.

Dear Frontier Development,

I guess it all depends on how much of the story you will no longer be publishing. In a space simulation game where the slogan was always, "build your own story" or "trail your own path", you can not take out the larger galactic story arc that most people loved and used to build on that arc. In fact, I used to read/listen to Galnet all the time, in the game and out of the game. I'd go on my phone and read the articles as if I were reading the Wall Street Journal or the New York Times.

I hope discoveries, Thargoids, major conflicts between factions, etc. are still published. I also hope that you will once again allow player submitted and approved stories/development as well. I love reading about other commander's accomplishments, new records/discoveries, and just what crazy things the community is up to. I also hope that Galnet doesn't just turn into a big "sales flyer" to promote out of game purchases such as paint jobs and other items including perhaps even the Arx system...if this is the case, it's starting to slowly sound like other space MMO's, and I don't want Elite to turn into those, we have those...we need Elite: Dangerous! Thank you very much for your time.

Best Regards,
-CMDR Thomas W. James of Canonn Interstellar Group
...a huge, huge fan of the Elite space entertainment!
^ 100% this! So very well and calmly put!

Michael Brooks jumped ship and went to work with dinosaurs. I do miss the days when he was an active part of the Elite lore and development. Since he left, to me anyways, it appears Elite Dangerous has slowly but steadily becoming more and more dumbed down and gearing more towards consoles, leaving the PC Master race behind.

As for David Braben, it would be nice to hear something from him in regards to the future of Elite: Dangerous, instead of Froniter as a whole.

I can only hope the New Era when released next winter, will make up for all this.
I'm a dumb console user. You use big words. I don't understand. Please say again using small words. Thanks!

Top Bottom