Notice GalNet changes

It is a depressing state of affairs. The game feels like abandonware at the moment. I mean, look at the launcher:

SimUsev.jpg

Old items, missing graphics, and the big black block of emptiness on the right column. I was going to boot up the game the other day but once I saw this sorry mess, I lost all interest.

I have never seen a successful game given such shabby treatment before.

It is a depressing state of affairs. The game feels like abandonware at the moment. I mean, look at the launcher:

ul4t6SK.jpg

Old items, missing graphics, and the big black block of emptiness on the right column. I was going to boot up the game the other day but once I saw this sorry mess, I lost all interest.

I have never seen a successful game given such shabby treatment before.
Engine colours are available now to buy now though

All that was needed was a logo that signified it was an official article or a fan made one this would have allowed us to discern between looking for something or just reading it.

Maybe they need to get a dedicated team to write the articles as in its current state it does not show a good image for the game if there are no major events happening. Even a daily blow by blow on the Thargoid situation would be something. They have a galaxy to choose from of information but it's not happening.

FFE had news that mattered, and news that didn't matter, and usually it was pretty clear which was which (not least because the station bulletin boards would give you missions for the former)
Like, if it's a celebrity puff-piece in Random Intergalactic Gossip, then it's probably not something worth following up on.

RIP :(

If only there were some community events and initiatives worth writing a short article about... :p ;)

Well, I wrote this... https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/community-initiative-one-last-gasp.530601/

Unsurprisingly barely two hoots were given with the first activity because it wasn't an FD-sanctioned thing, and there wasn't some 30m prize pot at the end, so 🤷‍♂️. I fully intended to write the next parts, but my country literally caught fire and was the more pressing issue for me until about two weeks ago... unfortunately I've also started correspondence training since then, so my spare time is slim to none right now.

The former. I never minded the "fluff" (as people are calling it). I hear about stuff in the real world news every day that doesn't affect me directly and which I won't actually run into, but knowing about things that are going on around us in the world (even things we won't see) makes our world bigger and way more colourful and stimulating. The Winking Cat stuff was a classic example of the sort of thing I especially liked because there was no ambiguity about "is it in the game or isn't it?"
I never minded "fluff" either... and yeah, the Winking Cat was a good example... but when it was things like this that had pretty explicit statements that, paraphrased, "Investigators went and found a big cloud remnant of the asteroid" it's pretty reasonable for people to go there and expect to actually see this destroyed asteroid. This was also at the peak of Galnet articles actually containing hints to Thargoid/Guardian stuff.

And of course, there was this classic which led a whole bunch of people to sink time and effort into a wild goose chase. There's plenty of ways that in-game and "fluff" articles could've co-existed, but end of the day, my read on FD dropping the "fluff" was so that they could focus on the II content.

Last edited:
Maybe they need to get a dedicated team to write the articles as in its current state it does not show a good image for the game if there are no major events happening. Even a daily blow by blow on the Thargoid situation would be something. They have a galaxy to choose from of information but it's not happening.
They've had people fleshing out the game with stories and lore for 30+ years for free (some even paid £4,500 for the privilege), and they've still managed to mess it up.
Story and lore wise, it feels emptier now that when released and all a bit half arsed.

I'm pretty sure the consensus wasn't to remove all Galnet articles, but to rather add game content to go along with those articles. One simple example - if there's some galactic rock concert happening in a system, then that system should have lots of Type-6s with funky paint jobs sending "Rock on, dudes!" text messages to people who go visit. Even a simple, "Business is really booming thanks to this concert!" text line in the missions boards would be nice. So no, we did not want content removed, we wanted more content ADDED.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I like the "solution" they applied to the problem - just that it was their response to a request from the community. I've been advocating for having tangible in-game effects for years (e.g., it's just ridiculous that npcs in systems under incursion do not have any reaction at all to the state and just go on with their business like usual "Remember, this liner is in the top 1%!"). On the other hand, after years chasing "galnet ghosts", I was perfectly fine assuming those stories were just stories, so the solution of removing them clearly isn't satisfactory.

My original point stands tho, "we" complained about a feature, they removed it. They could've handled it differently? For sure. Would it have been worth the effort? Unlikely :)
Two pigeons with one stone: they removed the source of the backslash and freed up a resource in the team (i.e., the writer that can now go and write stories about dinosaurs or animals).

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I like the "solution" they applied to the problem - just that it was their response to a request from the community. I've been advocating for having tangible in-game effects for years (e.g., it's just ridiculous that npcs in systems under incursion do not have any reaction at all to the state and just go on with their business like usual "Remember, this liner is in the top 1%!"). On the other hand, after years chasing "galnet ghosts", I was perfectly fine assuming those stories were just stories, so the solution of removing them clearly isn't satisfactory.

My original point stands tho, we complained about a feature, they removed it. They could've handled it differently? For sure. Would it have been worth the effort? Unlikely :)

My theory on this is they were already planning on repurposing the galnet staff writers for a different project and this gave them an excuse to make it look like it wasn't their idea

Ehy, that's what the community and the influencers wanted after all:
  • didn't want galnet that had nothing corresponding in game -> they removed them leaving events related ones only
  • want more bug fixing -> they focused on bug fixing, resulting in no ongoing events -> no galnet

"we" brought this onto us.

Sure, we could have galnets on the current thargoid situation that felt less automatic (i.e., the gently caress's aegis doing?) but I'm not sure they can find someone else willing to work on writing a story after the feedback to the last one was "sorry, people don't want your stories in game".

Sorry, but imho this argument is biowaste. There are reasons why FD put Galnet on hold, but none them is the infamous Open Letter. Nobody forced FD to do anything.

If a silly post letter would have that much power, then feel free to write one demanding 10 Galnet articles per day. I have a feeling that won't happen anytime soon.

fdev change many things based on forum feedback - which will be far less than 5% - because that is the feedback that they have. Look at the asbestos dolphin - literally requested by 1 guy ever 🤷‍♀️

Are you comparing the one-time tweaking of a few stats in a lookup table to an ongoing manual process of writing & publishing background flavour and new plot arcs with associated gameplay?

All the work that was done on Galnet is presumably still there, that stuff resulting from community goals and initiatives, beacons & persistent POIs is still in the game. There just aren't new ones being continually added.

The thing is, we don't know how much effort is required to create CG's, Galnet and Interstellar Initiatives. The problem for me was that when Interstallar Initatives were announced, the videos and the announcements gave the impression that they were relativly easy to do as compared to creating something like the beyond season. The impression I got (and I don't know about anyone else) was there might be an I.I. Once a month until New Era, with additional bug fixes along the way.

I was quite excited about I.I.s because the MMO that did that kind of thing right was The Matrix Online, and that managed to keep that game going for 4 years with no engine update or major bug fixes.

The problem I say was overwhelming negative feedback about I.I.'s which I felt was unwarrented and in some cases a little overzealous. Even though (and I'm using steam charts for my example here), there were 25% more players playing the game when an Interstellar Initiaive was in progress, than there wasn't.

It does feel more than a coincidence that CGs, II's And Galnet get pulled and Fleet Carriers are delayed not long after that 'Open Letter' is published. That says to me that it forced fdev to change course and with the resources that they have available, it was a case of you can have the bug Fixes and Betas, or you can have the Ongoing events. While some of the bugs were horrendous, (I.e. Thargoid hearts, The station repair bugs) but do you think it was worth it for the empty feeling in the game now.

I suspect that the fleet carrier delay was caused by the amount of fixes that were needed by the September update and that would have happened anyway but my worry is that the CGs and IIs have gone for good, and the game is worse for it.

Top Bottom