GalNet needs more activity

It’s now been over two months since the last GalNet entry on January 14, 3306, known in the real world as January 14, 2020. From what I heard, it’s due to a lack of staff in Frontier Developments. But regardless, Elite Dangerous has gotten rather boring without any new events. Now a possible reason for this could be that Frontier Developments is currently limited by the ongoing coronavirus pandemic in the real world, but it would be a lot more interesting to allow players to create their own entries. I think this ability was present for a while before it’s removal but it is certainly a good thing to have.

The game's narrative apparently used to be far more player driven when Brookes was still doing stuff for Elite. No clue why that stopped but a lot of lore nuts I talk to have begun talks of wanting it back.

A lack of recurring income to pay for recurring new content is what happened.

Someone in charge wasn't connected to reality when they thought of how to fund 10 years of new content that reflects users and the day to day game.

It’s now been over two months since the last GalNet entry on January 14, 3306, known in the real world as January 14, 2020. From what I heard, it’s due to a lack of staff in Frontier Developments.
Why listen to rumour then spread untruth?
Frontier posted why Galnet isn't being updated...
Usual post first, read later stuff 🍌

Yeah this☝

There has been an open letter, and Frontier reddit, and then there was a meeting with community lords, and there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth!! But plans were laid out and promises were made and all was well in the end 🐂💨

So yeah, enjoy!

ALL HAIL THE COMMUNITY INFLUENCERS WHO KNOW WHAT IS BEST AND DIDN'T ACTUALLY ASK FOR WHAT THEY ASKED FOR!
All ill deeds are done by others!

Deleted member 182079

D
The state of the launcher is just really discouraging. Articles/announcements that are way out of date - at least take a few minutes and tidy it up, clear the lot out and replace it with the Elite logo if needs be... new players launching Elite must think the game is abandonware, and first impressions count I'm sure.

galnet wouldn't be considered new features. No new features, just bugfixes is what people wanted and by bugfixes, they also meant correcting long standing - basically incomplete or poor game mechanics - but not adding new features that would build up on buggy / incomplete existing ones - making it ever more difficult to fix them.

Galnet requires constant new content creation which requires time and money not just from writers but artists and developers. Somehow, nobody during kickstarter thought that would require recurring revenue to fund.

So I returned to my landing pad thirty two the other day only to find my ship was missing? Impossible I thought, surely another case of stolen ship would not happen again. Instantly I thought of the last reported stolen ship and started evil eyeing all the deck crew. Reaching into the pocket of my jumpsuit and removing my ships key fob spinning it idle in my hand. What will I do now? Report this to the authorities obviously but then what? As a involuntary reaction I pressed the alarm set button on the key fob as a faint echo of triple beep noises bounced off the walls of the massive coriolis station drawing my attention to docking pad twenty three where the noise came from. Shame washed over me at the realization, I was on the wrong pad.

They weren't so much galnet posts but more of a local news post that you could see on select few local systems. Very very few posts were allowed to make it to the galaxy-wide galnet.

I was under the impression it was less about not too many people using it and more of a (we don't have time to oversee this to make sure players posts are not straying from our intended narrative or falling afoul of any other self imposed rules on content)

They weren't so much galnet posts but more of a local news post that you could see on select few local systems. Very very few posts were allowed to make it to the galaxy-wide galnet.

I was under the impression it was less about not too many people using it and more of a (we don't have time to oversee this to make sure players posts are not straying from our intended narrative or falling afoul of any other self imposed rules on content)
Not many made it to even the local news.

This whole we are stopping galnet and communitity goals as we are concentrating on bug fixes it looking more and more like a lie, seeing as in over 2 months we've had 1 patch which broke more than it fixed.

Time Devs admitted that the game is near to running out of cash and theres no money in pot for things like this until the next paid expansion is released.

Personally I'd rather be asked to buy a subscription and getting regular updates and community stuff, but hey Im not an "influencer" so my views count for jack

Escape velocity and the Galnet News Digest is probably as close to getting galnet back as we are going to get.

It is less than ideal that the galaxy has gone silent, and morphed into a entirely static 'world' where the federation, alliance, and empire might as well be named faction 1,2, and 3 respectively and thargoids might as well be the aliens from x-com.

Galnet is just another abandoned feature/aspect of elite. No amount of arx/cosmetics will ever get it back. If a feature does not get enough traction or does not have a good enough immediate cost/benefit for Fdev it gets tossed in the bin or abandoned. Multi-crew, surface landings (mechanics wise), cqc, galnet, powerplay, codex, thargoids etc are all examples of feature built to check a box with possibly little plan of what to do with the feature, and then left to all but rot (with the exception of a few minor fixes/tweaks here and there) from there on out.

In the short term it is probably great for fdevs bottom line. Long term it erodes faith in the developer and the overall direction of the game. (Fdev seem to be target more casual gamers that will buy a ton of arx, and stop playing in a week, and so the amount of degradation to the game they are willing to tolerate is somewhat higher than it had been previously. It seems unlikely this maintenance threshold will ever go back to where it once was)

11.jpg

Top Bottom