News GalNet - postponing Community Submissions

And here I, as a new player, was just starting to discover and really appreciate GalNet. It's one of the few things that makes the galaxy (at least the Bubble) feel alive.

Last edited:
I find it really bizarre that just as FD release their story driven update 2.4 they make a backwards step regarding the way the story is driven in the game. It's just bizarre. Really, if the problem is not enough people are reading GalNet then FD need to realise it's because of lack of content not lack of interest. I'd gladly log in daily if I know a new story was there, but currently we're lucky if there's something new weekly. Really disappointing.

Hmmmm.......

Simple inoccuous statement!, Isn't this how all crisis' start? Credit Crunch? RyanAir? & Dom In Da Bungalow going off air?

Our Freedom of expression/access to the press is being curtailed.

Last edited:
Hmmmm.......

Simple inoccuous statement!, Isn't this how all crisis' start? Credit Crunch? RyanAir? & Dom In Da Bungalow going off air?

Our Freedom of expression/access to the press is being curtailed.

image.jpg

Gone but not forgotten.

Hi everyone,

Just a quick note to let you know that we’re postponing community GalNet submissions for the timebeing.

We’ll be looking at reviewing the process in future, but for now we will no longer be accepting submissions.

I'll let you know when we have more opportunities for sharing your narrative and experiences via GalNet.

Many thanks,

Ed

Ed,

Is it ok if we ask why this is? Is it a matter of resources/time, or a conflict with the narrative occurring as part of v2.4?

Cheers,

Drew.

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to set up a curated fan run news site for the game.

I know it wouldn't get as many eyeballs as the official gal net, but there's a chance we could make something as important as coriolis or inara, but for in game news.

Anyone up for that?

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to set up a curated fan run news site for the game.

I know it wouldn't get as many eyeballs as the official gal net, but there's a chance we could make something as important as coriolis or inara, but for in game news.

Anyone up for that?

Perhaps we need to submit our stories to Sagittarius Eye?
http://www.sagittariuseyes.com/galactic-magazine.html

Or The Outpost?
http://remlok-industries.fr/4274/the-outpost-87/?lang=en

Or Likedeeler?
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/374320-The-Dangerous-Guide-to-the-Galaxy

Errr, no ... maybe not Likedeeler. :p

Well wherever, but it the most prolific Gal Net submitters (@corrigendum et al) committed to one site it could potentially be a success.

From the options suggested Sag Eyes is more of a long form / magazine thing, so not quite the same as Gal Net, and remlock just doesn't have the right name for me :p

This can go one of two ways:

1) It is a brief hiatus and they come back with a streamlined submission process (maybe even announcing something at FX17), or
2) It goes the same way as the weekly Dev updates that were going to come back after a brief break in the run up to 2.1 go live.

Hopefully FD won't let us down.

Maybe i was a dreamer to think with time the player's involvement in ED become THE cornerstone of the game (and Galnet's submissions were one of the best exemple ).

I cannot judge because i'm not "behind the scene" but it's very sad to read this kind of news.

Any hope to reconsider this decision ? if not, i really hope it's a blessing in disguise... and "Blaze your trail" not only a concept.

That's pretty disappointing. May we at least know why? Seems strange to drop news like this with no justification.

Its a shame FD won't give anymore details. I hope at least, Galnet is going to be still used for in game news - its more accessible than going to these forums, newsletter, Galnet website, that not everyone knows about. Elite is the type of game where in game news is pretty important.

I hope they restore this possibility in future. I would however invest more in user driven news sites, there are few very good ones already. Push them on reddit and forums and vola.

I am ok with GalNet being more official I guess. But I understand disappointment of people who invested time in it.

We don't know the reasons for this (temporary) stop on community-sourced GalNet content. It may be due to illness of key staff, it may be because of some changes in the works, it may be for any one of a variety of possible reasons. Let's be patient, have faith that Frontier Developments know what they're doing, and support the community outlets for Elite: Dangerous such as Sagittarius Eye.

I'm keen to see as much player-generated content in the game as possible, but I'm willing to accept that this hiatus is necessary, and wait and see what's coming.

First public action as new community manager: Screw the community.

What a way to start a career.

I can understand that people are irritated, annoyed and all the rest of it but really that's uncalled for, not least because you have no idea what personal involvment (if any) Ed actually had in this decision.

I've recently made a couple of posts in threads about communication highlighting the fact that all too often the idea of 'toxic communities' is held up as a reason for game developers to reduce direct contact with their players. Unfortunately, crap like that post is exactly what they can hold up as the reason for it. I'm not saying don't express your dissatisfaction, several other people have done so in this thread but petulant nonsense like that adds nothing of value whatseover.

I can understand that people are irritated, annoyed and all the rest of it but really that's uncalled for, not least because you have no idea what personal involvment (if any) Ed actually had in this decision.

I've recently made a couple of posts in threads about communication highlighting the fact that all too often the idea of 'toxic communities' is held up as a reason for game developers to reduce direct contact with their players. Unfortunately, crap like that post is exactly what they can hold up as the reason for it. I'm not saying don't express your dissatisfaction, several other people have done so in this thread but petulant nonsense like that adds nothing of value whatseover.

Oh, please, tell me more about the poor devs who have been treating 9 out of 10 of player groups like crap for the past 2+ years and how they are justified when pulling back because everyone is so mean to them and their feelings are hurt.

Not a fan of stockholm syndrome, you'll have to excuse me.

Top Bottom