ANNOUNCEMENT Game Balancing Pt.2

Are the changes live? I don't see any update announcement on steam nor have I noticed steam downloading anything...

Some things can be changed server-side only, and are usually (frustratingly) unannounced. It is obvious from playing the game that changes have already been applied though, you should be able to test this for yourself to confirm whether the particular set of circumstances you have in mind have been affected.

Agree 100%! Some of the solo missions require 50+ or 70+ kills, I would ask that this visited to reduce the cap on the solo kill missions. They should not be higher than wing missions, if a player has time to kill 70+ they can grab more than one mission.
While I agree they shouldn't require that many kills for solo (and I wouldn't take one), like with all types of missions there are inconsistencies between the requirements and payouts. I think some of that has to do with the amount of influence you have with that particular faction. I found this when looking at passenger missions in the past as well.

I managed to find a solo massacre mission last night (before the update) paying about $7mil for 18 kills which I thought was pretty good. I don't know what the new updated figure would be.

Agree 100%! Some of the solo missions require 50+ or 70+ kills, I would ask that this visited to reduce the cap on the solo kill missions. They should not be higher than wing missions, if a player has time to kill 70+ they can grab more than one mission.
Here, here is some food for thought:
Why not make a mission slider?

Kill 1, get paid x.
Then the player can chose how many they want to kill. If you want to do 20, pick 20, only want to kill 5 because you don't have 2 hours, pick 5.
Pay would then get adjusted accordingly of course, maybe even a bonus for killing 10, 20 or 50.

Example:
1 kill would net you 200k.
10 kills would pay 2m +10% bonus for a total of 2.2m
20 kills would pay 4m +20% bonus for a total of 4.8m
50 kills would pay 10m +50% bonus for a total of 15m

BUT: It's the player who decides where to put the kill count. The player commits to killing x ships, not the mission giver just handing it top down "I want you to kill 70+ ship".
Give some controls to the players.

Rewards other than credit would adjust accordingly again of course.

This is a really good idea. I know a few commanders with big bounties and small credit balances. The risk of being sent back to a stock sidey and losing engineered ships and modules to pay for a bounty would make playing their game a bit rislier.
It's already in the game. You lose the ship that had the bounty if you don't pay it off.
If you can't pay off both the bounty and rebuy you either have to sell other ships you have to make up the cost or you need to chose the freewinder.

Gankers simply don't care if they loose their ships, it's a risk they've already accepted with their playstyle.

What the hell guys? "Balancing" doesn't just mean "Money" you know. People played this game back when missions only gave maybe a million in rewards max, and they enjoyed it because it was fun and challenging. Back when getting a Big-3 ship was an accomplishment, not a weekend grind. Back when you WANTED a Big-3 ship because they improved the game, not because it was a participation trophy. We don't want >income< balanced. We want the freaking GAME balanced! Remove idiotic "engineering" that turns a 1,000mj shield into a 12,000mj shield! Remove idiotic "lasers" that somehow restore more shield energy then any other weapon can deplete. Do something to make small ships actually useful instead of just a stepping stone to larger ships that you'll be able to afford after one mission. You know, BALANCE THE GAME!.

This. This. So much this.

What the hell guys? "Balancing" doesn't just mean "Money" you know. People played this game back when missions only gave maybe a million in rewards max, and they enjoyed it because it was fun and challenging. Back when getting a Big-3 ship was an accomplishment, not a weekend grind. Back when you WANTED a Big-3 ship because they improved the game, not because it was a participation trophy. We don't want >income< balanced. We want the freaking GAME balanced! Remove idiotic "engineering" that turns a 1,000mj shield into a 12,000mj shield! Remove idiotic "lasers" that somehow restore more shield energy then any other weapon can deplete. Do something to make small ships actually useful instead of just a stepping stone to larger ships that you'll be able to afford after one mission. You know, BALANCE THE GAME!.
That's kinda how I'M thinking! I'm not in it for the money. I want to be a HERO OF SPACE!

Alright, so after session each of Assassination/Massacre stacking and bounty hunting, here's my consolidated feedback.

Just some preface, if I refer to an increase or decrease in reward, I'm referring to per-ship kill. This is obvious for standard BH stuff, but for missions less so.... if you didn't know, massacre missions reward per-kill, so a 40 kill mission will reward twice as much as a 20 kill mission. If I say "Reduce number of targets", there's an implicit reduction in total reward, but the per-kill ratio remains the same, so it's not actually a reward reduction.

Secondly, I will distinguish between "massacre missions" and "CZ massacres", as the two are very fundamentally different.

With that out of the way....

Wing massacre missions: Halve reward, Halve number of targets
Solo massacre missions: Quarter reward (yes, reduce them compared to what they currently are), Halve number of targets
Wing and Solo CZ Massacres: Fix the bug where Wing massacres have a higher per-kill reward than solo
Solo CZ Massacres: Halve number of targets (after fixing reward ratio)
Wing CZ Massacres: Halve number of targets (after fixing reward ratio)
Assassinations: Good change, leave
Wing Assassinations: Double reward (8-10m for Allied)
Bounties for Vanilla Kills: Keep as-is
Bounties for Engineered Targets: Quadruple payouts

Basically, the factor that's gone completely unconsidered is the stackability of Massacres. A single massacre mission now offers roughly 1m per kill. Lightly stacked that approaches 200m for per fifty kills of any ship type, and that's not even considering the bounties on top of that which stand to up that to around 50m, 100m if you include some Powerplay bonuses.

But the enhanced payouts work for CZ missions as they do not stack, except in the case of wing missions.

By reducing payouts and number of targets, stackability (which is where the excessive payouts come from) is mitigated, but the missions themselves become easier to resolve, lending themselves more to comparable game activity loops of around 10-20 minutes effort. I'm less fussed about Wing stacking, bully for you for getting mates into the game tbh... in lieu of some high-end dungeon-like thing/scenario to do.

Wing Assassinations are in dire need of a buff... for the effort involved (usually a wing of 3-5 fully engineered targets) they're woefully underpaid at 4m credits, compared to the mission I did recently to kill 12 vanilla ships (which I easily did in a ship not optimised for fighting) for around 17 million. Around 10m for a Wing assassination, when you also consider the next proposal to buff bounties on engineered targets, would bring a single wing assassination up to a total payout of =~ 30m. Considering the effort and difficulty of that compared to a comparable reward from massacres, that's pretty balanced.

New bounties are pretty on-point, but Pirate Activity Threat 5&6 payouts, and other engineered targets such as for Wing Assassinations are ridiculously low by contrast. These should be the premier bounty farming environments, not everyday pirates in a civil liberty state. Remember, PA Threat 5&6 only exist in Civil Unrest/Lockdown, so as people swamp these for the premium payouts, it will self-terminate once security increases again, so if engineered targets pay out signficantly more, it's only for a temporary period until you need to relocate for more CU/L states (which are pretty rare, because Elite: Best Friends)

So you're basically attempting to fix an economy that suffered localised inflation by applying universal inflation.

Yeah, sure, that makes sense :rolleyes:
mining was around what, 500m/hr? (with top tier conda/cutter)
bounty hunting was what, 5m/hr? now it's maybe 20m/hr (note: after you have a top tier vette or FDL)?

maybe MORE relevant is entry level bounty hunting is around 5k per kill as opposed to mining which could net you a couple mil per hour with a COBRA 3...

You really think this is not needed in bounty hunting/conflict zones?

That's where the whole wing system is flawed to start with.
Any wing reward should be split between the wing, not awarded each.
A wing mission should pay up to 4 times as much, say 12m for a wing kill mission. Do it alone, you get 12m. Do it with 2 people, splits 50:50, etc.

Totally agree and have mentioned it before too.
Would also like to add that Wing objectives should not get multiplied by wing member count per single objective done.
One example is: 4 wing members doing a wing massacre mission for a CZ, if in same instance, will generate 4 kills towards the mission per single kill.
There are other ways to exploit wing missions too.

mining was around what, 500m/hr? (with top tier conda/cutter)
bounty hunting was what, 5m/hr? now it's maybe 20m/hr (note: after you have a top tier vette or FDL)?

maybe MORE relevant is entry level bounty hunting is around 5k per kill as opposed to mining which could net you a couple mil per hour with a COBRA 3...

You really think this is not needed in bounty hunting/conflict zones?

Ive made over 37B just via mining, I have never ever hit 500M/hr.
Not saying its not possible just that, even with mapped Borran LTD mining, in a fully pimped mining cutter, it took me 4hrs (including flight to ring and station) to get 1 billions worth of ore.
755581FE413589101D632A5C4257336FDF36F31E

But yes Combat has definitely needed a balance pass for some time now.

Last edited:
Greetings Commanders,

Last week we posted this announcement about our plans for game balancing. ...

Thanks as always for your support and feedback!

o7

I've avoided bounty hunting because I'm just starting out and losing a ship has been too costly a risk for my limited skill, so I just mined and ran cargo. Only combat I saw was fighting with the occaional ganker. The new rewards induced me to give it a try again and I must say it has been a blast. I'm getting more skilled and earning enough to replace a ship if I screw up. It's worth the effort now and hella fun!
Mining and some of the cargo runs are still more profitable in many cases, but it was getting a bit tedious. The new system has also gotten me to take interest in the Engineering aspect of the game. The re-balance has really rounded out the whole experience of the game.

WELL DONE !!

Nothing is perfect and nothing is going to make everyone happy, but this is a great move!
Also, I'm sure FDev does not have a blank slate when it comes to making changes. There are surely core functions that are difficult and risky to change. I assume they will be making the changes that are the easiest and safest to implement.
I don't see this as a move to reduce total income that much but rather giving us choices on how we do it. A month ago you either mined painite or made far less income. Now you can mine, trade or fight and make about the same.
I personally think easy, low risk activities should make 50-100M / hour. High risk, high skill, 100-150M / hour.
the production of painite was with a profit of 200M / hour and why was it necessary to cut prices?

Because mining was at a RIDICULOUS level. I've been playing since the game launched and did pretty well for myself. After taking an extended break I came back and a friend mentioned mining. For the record I had the big 3 ships with full A engineered items and was sitting on about 250 million. Within a week and a half I was able to MORE than double the number of credits I've made in the game. I made roughly 14 billion credits in less than 2 weeks. That was more than I've made in the game in the last 6 years. That screams balancing issues.

I'm not sure why you are so against other careers being able to make something even resembling a profitable career but this is LONG overdue. A Fleet Carrier should be a long term goal, not something you can grind for a week and easily acquire in Solo mode with 0 risk.
I am for increasing profit from other types of activity. But I am strongly against nerf mining. It's pointless. I agree that a billion in 2 hours is a hell of a lot, but painite gave only 200 per hour and if there was somewhere to take ... on average, I got 175 million per hour per circle. At this time, I turn on takeoff from an aircraft carrier, arrival at the mining site, mining, flight to the place of delivery ... And the risks are not zero, the pirates got out with a full hold ...

Was pleasantly surprised to pop a single corvette and pick up 800k bounty in addition to the mission reward (prev highest ever bounty payout had been 320k!). Then saw this post linked on twitter, which explains it.
Liking this tweak a LOT👍

I am for increasing profit from other types of activity. But I am strongly against nerf mining. It's pointless. I agree that a billion in 2 hours is a hell of a lot, but painite gave only 200 per hour and if there was somewhere to take ... on average, I got 175 million per hour per circle. At this time, I turn on takeoff from an aircraft carrier, arrival at the mining site, mining, flight to the place of delivery ... And the risks are not zero, the pirates got out with a full hold ...
Painite only gave 200m per hour?

Don’t you think that’s a little odd in a game where the hull of the most expensive ship is just 209m?

Doesn’t anyone else?

(Sorry RuIncognito, I’m only really quoting you because you were the last to comment)

I’m just really starting to struggle to understand what’s going on here with this rebalance.

People are talking (and arguing) in the 100’s of millions per hour with absolutely no regard to the price of the games ships...

What the hell is the point in ever buying a Crusader when you can save up for just 15 more minutes and buy a Krait Mk2?

With the changes to BH you can now probably go from a Sidewinder to an A rated Vulture in just a few hours...throw in a rainy Sunday afternoon and you have a Python.

I just don’t get it.

If we’re going to continue to talk 50, 100, 200m per hour then I call for a total rebalance of every single ship in the game.

Keep module prices the same and whack up the value of every hull 10 fold...

Top Bottom