General / Off-Topic Game of Thrones - Season 8 (Potential spoilers inside)

It was a hurried disappointment. After an amazing build up over the course of the show, the conclusion was lackluster. Reminds me of Star Citizen. Why didn't HBO just get different people in to make it?

I can believe the eventual ending, but the last two seasons were really ran hell-for-leather at the conclusion without any of the peerless development and intrigue that charactrised the first 6 seasons, leaving some gaping holes and mental-train-wreck moments trying to work out why character X suddenly did action Y inexplicably.

It’s almost like the screenwriters ran out of defined source material and were left with a plot outline that they wanted to get through as soon as possible because they were off to make Star Wars or something ;)

I can believe the eventual ending, but the last two seasons were really ran hell-for-leather at the conclusion without any of the peerless development and intrigue that charactrised the first 6 seasons, leaving some gaping holes and mental-train-wreck moments trying to work out why character X suddenly did action Y inexplicably.

It’s almost like the screenwriters ran out of defined source material and were left with a plot outline that they wanted to get through as soon as possible because they were off to make Star Wars or something ;)
An ending can either wrap up the story, or end openly with a great big question mark. Any story will always be more thought provoking at the start, and any ending will divide once stuff gets sorted out. The great thing about this ending was, that even though it certainly divided the fans, anyone has food for thought now. One of the (many) strong points of the show was that they were all just human. Therefore anyone could find someone to relate to. With the ending you might not get what you wished for that character, but you would miss out if you don't let the dust settle and then think again.

I know what most people wanted to see, and I've cried on many occasions through the series (boys don't cry?), but I've also seen plenty of good movies with excellent scripts being ruined after a screening, where the audience wanted a "happy ending". That would have been very unfaithful to GoT. Reality is rough and filled with joy and pain. The only thing I didn't like about the show was the "unrealistic" dragons, but I must admit they kind of grew on me, and Drogon was just brilliant in the finale.

I wouldn’t necessarily debate the ending, like I said, I found it quite believable given the nature of the books. What I didn’t like was the headlong rush towards it that necessitated characters suddenly behaving uncharacteristically to advance the plot in a short space of time, or to come unstuck without any obvious or developed reason for it to happen.

That was where it became clear that GRRM is a top-flight writer, as the seasons which directly had his books to work from rather than a plot outline to be filled in were masterpieces of development and intrigue :)

I had hope for the first 20 minutes that they'd be able to salvage Season 8 and tie things up without getting ridiculous.

Nope.

At least the white-haired psycho (female dog - as the board is a real nanny) got the point. ;)
My biggest disappointment is the pace of the episode. It was insufferable. If they made it sufficiently epic, I wouldn't mind. I don't particularly mind how it all ended. But all the waiting, talking, walking slowly towards the camera, walking slowly away from the camera. We knew they're going to kill Dany half an hour before they did. Everything was telegraphed and talked about ad absurdum.

It didn't feel like a finale of an epic story. It looked like an office on Friday afternoon when everybody kind of pretends they're doing something but in reality they're just checking the clock and can't wait for it to be over.

Well, like Kit said in the interview:
"So, what will the end be like?"
"Disappointing"

Damn I feel empty after watching that final episode :cautious:

After all that bad writing I at least had hoped for a happy ending with Dany(not the insane one they warped her into in the 2 final episodes) on the Iron Throne. It would at least have been a satisfying ending to a disappointing final season. And a decent closing to a previously fantastic show.

But no... So many years of following a beloved character, only to have her end like that.. (n)

Damn I feel empty after watching that final episode :cautious:

After all that bad writing I at least had hoped for a happy ending with Dany(not the insane one they warped her into in the 2 final episodes) on the Iron Throne. It would at least have been a satisfying ending to a disappointing final season. And a decent closing to a previously fantastic show.

But no... So many years of following a beloved character, only to have her end like that.. (n)
That is also the likely outcome in the books too. While they are not following the books anymore as they have not been written, they do know the basic premise of what happens and I would hazard a guess that this will happen in the books. I also am not that surprised. People generally don't get what they want in the books and TV series and its the same in this too.

The only thing that has concerned me is that they have used too few episodes in this series.

Btw, does anyone feels like they deliberately switched Aryan and Jon roles in this season?

Arya killing Night King
Jon killing Danny.

Because they both trained for the opposite encounters.

Maybe GRRM told them how the novel ended, so they decided to do the opposite not to spoil the Novels ending.
I think that is how it will turn out in the books, but the books will be far more thorough, hopefully.

Personally I am hoping that the next fantasy tv series (not including LOTR) will the the First Law trilogy and associated books.

I suspect the D&D have got the general ending right, they just rushed past a lot of the build up to a lot of the events so it seems rubbish. I can totally see GRRM having John killing Dany because GRRM likes to do that sort of thing.

Anyone else burst out laughing when Tyrion started his "Good story" speech?

Personally I am hoping that the next fantasy tv series (not including LOTR) will the the First Law trilogy and associated books.
I still think GoT was an aberration. People will go back to thinking Fantasy is dumb rsn, and it won't be helped by Season 8. Chronicles of Shannara came and went, Witcher is next. There's been rumbling about Wheel of Time for years.

And let's not forget all the plotholes, oversights and threads that were simply left hanging.
I'm currently having a blast going through 9gag and the Freefolk subreddit. :LOL:

Top Bottom