General / Off-Topic Game of Thrones - Season 8 (Potential spoilers inside)

It takes moments with D&D writing it, so as i said, your specualtions are baseless that are not supported even by the writers them selves. It was not a struggling dragon.
Only time? I guess you didn't watched Season 7 too.

Bronn shoots Drogo right from the Frontal position. He even waited until Drogo got in to Frontal position, because it is easier to hit.
3:20 Miss. 4:00 Hit!
If you watched is, he was waiting for the dragon to get into the sight, it just so happened that when it did, the dragon was facing head on and he missed because probably because it was a smaller target. If the dragon was side on, it would have presented a much bigger target and would have likely hit. Bad luck for Bronn or good luck for Dany. Which ever way you want to see it.

If anyone that was showing clear signs of maddness in Season 1, it was Viseryn.
Oh I agree. He was already clearly bonkers. But as I said it was a warning sign. She wasn't anywhere near as bonkers as Viserys at that stage in her life, but she does slowly get worse as the series goes.

Thats the thing with GoT. Nobody is truely good. Its all shades of grey, even Dany. Nobody is perfect in the series, some have bigger flaws then others though.

At 3:16 he already had a clear sight. He was waiting for him to get in to a Frontal position, because than aiming angel becomes smaller and you don't actually have to keep on rotating your weapon, in order to keep the aim. And that is the biggest advantage you can get when firing projectile weapons of this sizes. Well that and writting plot.
No he didn't. He waited for it to come into aim and he fired.

Not in sight.
ymuPtNh.jpg

Getting closer
uL03CeJ.jpg

In sight and head on and fires
pDexDAu.jpg

He waits probably because its difficult to hit a moving target and easier to wait for it to go infront of him.

You can see him, that means he is in sight.
If he wanted to shoot him, while he was flying sideway, he would have kept on rotating his weapon to trace him. But he didn't. He waited until Drogo began to descent - that way he didn't have to rotate his weapon which gave him better accuracy ( in theory).
When I mean sight, I mean the aiming reticule which you can see. He waited for it to come to that aiming reticule as it would be much more difficult to follow and fire at a moving target. Yes he could see it, but the ballister was not aimed at the dragon at that stage and he had to wait for it come into its aim.

Wanting stuff to make sense within the context presented is not 'overthinking', if there even is such a thing.

Take a look at Brandon Sanderson's 'First Law': https://brandonsanderson.com/sandersons-first-law/

While not my favorite author, I do feel this approach almost always results in a more immersive, more believable, fantasy setting, and can do so even with vastly more common and overt supernatural elements than GoT.

With GoT, at least the HBO series, I'm often not even sure if magic is being depicted or an author simply doesn't know how reality works...and I'm usually left with the latter impression. This is not conducive to my entertainment.

And the "context" of GOT is supernatural things exist, which humans cannot explain beyond "it's magic". How do you explain Jon being resurrected then? The inner workings of a dragon are not explained in any way shape or form so we can't judge them can we? It's a shame it effects you so much.

At 3:16 he already had a clear sight. He was waiting for him to get in to a Frontal position, because than aiming angel becomes smaller and you don't actually have to keep on rotating your weapon, in order to keep the aim. And that is the biggest advantage you can get when firing projectile weapons of this sizes imo. Well that and writting plot.

Two things.

You are correct that firing a projectile at a target that is closing toward you at a fast speed is somewhat to an advantage to the firer - not only because of the static relative angle they present (moving directly towards you means a constant sight-line angle, they do not move in the sights) - but also because they are closing to the firer at the maximum possible closure rate, this aids in the projectile meeting the target more quickly = time of flight of projectile is reduced. (see reference to time, below)

However, if the target then turns, the sight line angle increases at an increasing rate, meaning there is some disadvantage here to the firer. The target can also move at any angle around a 360° circle and you have no real means of anticipating the abrupt angular change.

This is opposed to a target flying at 90° to the firer, where the target presents a constant rate of angle change. Any turn can only move the target gently away from the established vector and this allows for far more anticipation when launching your projectile at it. The target can't suddenly stop and travel in the opposite direction, there has to be some curve, which is a linear progression from the established vector.

In any case, if the target is able to see the projectile and has enough time to manoeuvre clear of the trajectory, the advantage lies with the target, because the projectile is passive and it's trajectory can be anticipated with great accuracy. The target is giving themselves less time to do this if moving straight toward the firer...

Air combat is a great game ;)

It takes moments with D&D writing it, so as i said, your specualtions are baseless that are not supported even by the writers them selves. It was not a struggling dragon.
Only time? I guess you didn't watched Season 7 too.

Bronn shoots Drogo right from the Frontal position. He even waited until Drogo got in to Frontal position, because it is easier to hit.
3:20 Miss. 4:00 Hit!

My speculations? what speculations other than Rheaghar being fully healed when ambushed? We CANNOT know that, all we know for a FACT was he was injured in the NK battle and when he took off for after struggled to get into the air implying not fully healed, we KNOW Dany rushed south against Sansa's wishes for the troops to rest. I'm speculating, but speculation based on KNOWN things not pulling things from an area of my body I sit upon.

I admit I forgot about Bronn in S7, either way that proves nothing, just that you can hit a dragon, but it didn't Kill Drogon, in fact I'd say that was more a complete fluke than anything...ergo the Scorpions were never an uber anti Dragon device, yes they worked when the stars aligned and god crossed his/her/it's fingers, but you can't rely on that every time.

If you think a smaller cross section is easier to hit than a larger cross section then for the love of god don't join the army, you'll get yourself killed.

Two things.

You are correct that firing a projectile at a target that is closing toward you at a fast speed is somewhat to an advantage to the firer - not only because of the static relative angle they present (moving directly towards you means a constant sight-line angle, they do not move in the sights) - but also because they are closing to the firer at the maximum possible closure rate, this aids in the projectile meeting the target more quickly = time of flight of projectile is reduced. (see reference to time, below)

However, if the target then turns, the sight line angle increases at an increasing rate, meaning there is some disadvantage here to the firer. The target can also move at any angle around a 360° circle and you have no real means of anticipating the abrupt angular change.

This is opposed to a target flying at 90° to the firer, where the target presents a constant rate of angle change. Any turn can only move the target gently away from the established vector and this allows for far more anticipation when launching your projectile at it. The target can't suddenly stop and travel in the opposite direction, there has to be some curve, which is a linear progression from the established vector.

In any case, if the target is able to see the projectile and has enough time to manoeuvre clear of the trajectory, the advantage lies with the target, because the projectile is passive and it's trajectory can be anticipated with great accuracy. The target is giving themselves less time to do this if moving straight toward the firer...

Air combat is a great game ;)

Thank the lord for someone else who knows this!!!! Thanks also for explaining it way better than I could.

And the "context" of GOT is supernatural things exist, which humans cannot explain beyond "it's magic".

Still not even in the same ballpark as the point and "It's magic" is not context.

How do you explain Jon being resurrected then?

The power of the Lord of Light or at least those purported to work in his name was well established and Jon's resurrection was working within such bounds. The presence of magic, even the extremely fantastical forms, is not something I have criticized.

The inner workings of a dragon are not explained in any way shape or form so we can't judge them can we?

I can absolutely judge inconsistent depictions that do not follow conventions that are already well-established, or left for us to infer from the rest of the setting, in a work.

It's a shame it effects you so much.

No, it's not.

I like being able to think about these things. Without my ability to critcise these points of failure on the part of poorly relayed/depicted story aspects, I'd not be able to appreciate the well told ones.

If anyone that was showing clear signs of maddness in Season 1, it was Viserys.

True but we arn't talking about "clear" signs of madness, we are talking about subtle hints that dany can be a beyatch when she wants to be. For me it was part of her charm, not an out and out goody goody (puke) but could do the nasty when required. When someone like that, after many bad things happening in a relatively short space of time, goes a bit batpoop then all bets are off for good behaviour and she was not averse to using dragon fire to kill. Could her decline have been better done, hell yes....but it was going to happen and those who expected it were not surprised and those that didn't are having various levels of hissy fits over it.

Still not even in the same ballpark as the point and "It's magic" is not context.

The power of the Lord of Light or at least those purported to work in his name was well established and Jon's resurrection was working within such bounds. The presence of magic, even the extremely fantastical forms, is not something I have criticized.

I can absolutely judge inconsistent depictions that do not follow conventions that are already well-established, or left for us to infer from the rest of the setting, in a work.

No, it's not.

I like being able to think about these things. Without my ability to critcise these points of failure on the part of poorly relayed/depicted story aspects, I'd not be able to appreciate the well told ones.

It's not inconsistent.....there was NO depiction, inconsistency needs at least TWO conflicting explanations...we have NONE. THAT's my point. We have no Idea how the dragons breath fire and what nuances they can impart on that, from your average flame thrower type to a more explosive type. for all we know wild fire is based on dragon fire and THAT explodes.

"Wildfire is a flammable liquid which is created and controlled by the Alchemists' Guild, an ancient society of learned men using arcane knowledge and is now based in the city of King's Landing. Wildfire is a highly volatile material; when ignited, it can explode with tremendous force and the resulting fire burns so hot that water cannot extinguish it. Only by smothering the flames with large quantities of sand can they be put out. "

Explosive Fire obtained by arcane means established in the GOT Lore, not a stretch to think that dragons have an arcane ability to control fire in very specific ways.

But fine moan about nothing.

Actually, if you think about it - turning means making your self a bigger target.
Also when you charge - you can't really turn far, else you will miss your target.

But when you fly sideways - not only your rotation effects aim, because even a slight alteration at large distances means a miss, also Acceleration and Deceleration plays same role. Meanwhile Acceleration and Decelerations plays no role when your target is charging you.
Also you need to take in to effect: Sideway - means you have to trace your target. Charge attacks - means you don't need to trace, except maybe a little - but you can wait until your target comes closer to negate the need for that effect.

So imo, sideways much harder to hit than frontal charge.

As for your last comment, i agree but it depends on writters. For example with Bronn, 2nd shot was a hit while Dany and Drogo were aware of them. But in Season 8 Episode 4 they all missed.

I'll try one last time, have you heard of "leading the target"? Is it easier to lead a target NOT aware of you and moving in a predictable way? Now when a target comes head on you don't need to lead the target (which I believe is the basis of you saying it's easier), but IF the target jinks then it is Impossible to hit, unless by complete fluke which is what Bronns hit clearly was. The scorpions had a fluke hit that didn't kill, and took out an unaware previously injured (I'll concede slightly on that point) dragon. That is not a basis for thinking they were any good, could massive ballista used in reality hit fast moving targets? i.e. Scorpions were in actual fact a load of crap, Cersei's defence was based on them hence why K/L fell.

Now if you want to argue why Drogon and Rhaegal didn't see the ships that ambushed them I would agree THAT was crap writing. Or that Rhaegal was hit at all was also crap. There is no real defence against a Dragon.

Top Bottom