General / Off-Topic Game of Thrones - Season 8 (Potential spoilers inside)

But it doesn't bother me too much and I am still thoroughly enjoying the series.

What's there to enjoy?
The writing is reminiscent to a teenager's school project.
It turned into a parody.

cx6u3yierrx21.jpg

1. It's called money and raw ambition. Both of which are the apparent drivers pushing the show runners to complete this epic fantasy series in a mere 8 EPs.
8 Eps? We only got 6 this season.

Ah, if you are going on about the battle, its worth looking at some of the analysis by medieval youtubers. One or two are saying some of the decisions taken were not that wrong or dumb (not saying this was due to some brilliance by the writers, it could have just been dumb luck they got some things right).

An example is that some are saying it was stupid to have the troops in front of the walls. When you have a castle you stay inside the castle. But the counterpoint was that there simply was no space inside the castle for all the troops and it was even mentioned in the show at one point that there wasn't room in the castle for everyone.

Now, i'm not defending the whole series or that episode per se, but some of what people are raging about was actually the right thing to do... not a majority, but some things.

Overall though, i think people are taking it all a little too seriously. Sure, sloppy writing and direction, but its just a TV series, not life or death.

And like i said, some good moments, especially between Arya and the Hound and Jamie and Tyrion.
The right thing to do against a superior force with a leader that can raise the dead would've been a fighting retreat guerrilla style where you minimize your losses while trying to inflict maximum damage on theirs so the NK can't just keep increasing the dead.

This would've meant sending the women and children south instead of locking them in a crypt (hey that'd been a good idea). And you know what's great for harrying? Cavalry, like those big guys they wasted charging into a faceless mass.

Then they could've presented the remaining mess to King's Landing as a final gambit.

People are just rightly ripping seriously poor writing, it's got nothing to do with being too serious or not.

8 Eps? We only got 6 this season.

The right thing to do against a superior force with a leader that can raise the dead would've been a fighting retreat guerrilla style where you minimize your losses while trying to inflict maximum damage on theirs so the NK can't just keep increasing the dead.

This would've meant sending the women and children south instead of locking them in a crypt (hey that'd been a good idea). And you know what's great for harrying? Cavalry, like those big guys they wasted charging into a faceless mass.

Then they could've presented the remaining mess to King's Landing as a final gambit.

People are just rightly ripping seriously poor writing, it's got nothing to do with being too serious or not.

Yes, like i said, there were some dumb things.

On the other hand, if they had retreated it would have meant abandoning the rest of the north to the NK, in effect leaving millions of people to die. They could have sent runners in all directions of course, some people would have listened, some would have thought it was a load of rubbish.

But then, ok, they all march south, and now suddenly they are beholden to Cersei who will somehow have to find food and shelter for millions of northerners... who, she doesn't really like.

A petition to change the monetary system to sound money would garner maybe 5 votes, and the "nerds" would get laughed at.
A petition for a tv show gets 460K voted in ~24hrs.
In the democratic system, every vote is equal.
What a world we live in.
Anywho, back to the outrage!

It's sad to see such a monumentally great show plummet to the bottom like this. I guess it just shows how great a writer RR Martin is. As soon as the showrunners ran out of their books, the series took a sudden nosedive at full speed.

I never imagined during those fantastic first 6 years, that I would reach the final episode no longer giving a fart about how it all ends.

Even with the clear guidance and rich character resources of the books, the writers still floundered in their on screen character development. Their whole portrayal of the House of Dorne was beyond . The books spent a considerable amount of time developing the members of this House, their motives and complex relationships with the other great houses. Writers still somehow managed to mangle this.

Perfect example: show runners reduced the Sand Snakes to 3 cringeworthy stereotypes: a butch/GLBTQ femi Nazi trope, a slutty femme fatal trope, and a completely uninteresting, plain personality Jane trope. All were completely forgettable (including House Dorne) when Cersei thankfully annihilated what was left of this House's members at the end of that season.

Goose4291

Banned
Even with the clear guidance and rich character resources of the books, the writers still floundered in their on screen character development. Their whole portrayal of the House of Dorne was beyond **. The books spent a considerable amount of time developing the members of this House, their motives and complex relationships with the other great houses. Writers still somehow managed to mangle this.

Perfect example: show runners reduced the Sand Snakes to 3 cringeworthy stereotypes: a butch/GLBTQ femi Nazi trope, a slutty femme fatal trope, and a completely uninteresting, plain personality Jane trope. All were completely forgettable (including House Dorne) when Cersei thankfully annihilated what was left of this House's members at the end of that season.

Doran-Martell-game-of-thrones-38414154-245-270.gif

I agree. Doran Martell was handled so very, very badly.

Let's not even talk about Barristan Selmy.

Perfect example: show runners reduced the Sand Snakes to 3 cringeworthy stereotypes: a butch/GLBTQ femi Nazi trope, a slutty femme fatal trope, and a completely uninteresting, plain personality Jane trope. All were completely forgettable (including House Dorne)

At least the mockery of the horrible fight coreography will outlast the characters.

Doran-Martell-game-of-thrones-38414154-245-270.gif

I agree. Doran Martell was handled so very, very badly.

Let's not even talk about Barristan Selmy.
I'm still trying to wrap my mind around how a sterling AAA actor from the Star Trek franchise could've agreed to play this jest of a role. Completely fail to sue the writers for career defamation. Not abandon the show when he realized how just how little they respected his acting skills. Especially the moment when he read the script and learned the producers were taking a good organic dump on his character with that melodramatic death.

Goose4291

Banned
I'm still trying to wrap my mind around how a sterling AAA actor from the Star Trek franchise could've agreed to play this jest of a role. Completely fail to sue the writers for career defamation. Not abandon the show when he realized how just how little they respected his acting skills. Especially the moment when he read the script and learned the producers were taking a good organic dump on his character with that melodramatic death.

I imagine it was the same as Ian McElhinney. They both expected a bigger role (McElhinney more so as he is a massive ASOIAF fan) and were both taken aback by their characters death announcements.

But how "I am not blind, nor deaf. I know you all believe me weak, frightened, feeble. Your father knew me better. Oberyn was ever the viper. Deadly, dangerous, unpredictable. No man dared tread on him. I was the grass. Pleasant, complaisant, sweet-smelling, swaying with every breeze. Who fears to walk upon the grass? But it is the grass that hides the viper from his enemies and shelters him until he strikes."

became

"Many in Dorne want war. But I've seen war. I've seen the bodies piled on the battlefields. I've seen the orphans starving in the cities. I don't want to lead my people into that hell."

is still beyond me.

Top Bottom