General / Off-Topic Game of Thrones - Season 8 (Potential spoilers inside)

I still think GoT was an aberration. People will go back to thinking Fantasy is dumb rsn, and it won't be helped by Season 8. Chronicles of Shannara came and went, Witcher is next. There's been rumbling about Wheel of Time for years.
Probably. Chronicles of Shannara was awful, but I didn't think the books were any better. The Witcher could be okay. I am dreading the Wheel of Time as again it is a pretty bad series of books, actually it was pretty good until book 6 and then it went really bad with the main character taking a whole book to walk 600 yards up the road.

The Broken Empire Trilogy could also be another good TV series.

Anyone else burst out laughing when Tyrion started his "Good story" speech?

I still think GoT was an aberration. People will go back to thinking Fantasy is dumb rsn, and it won't be helped by Season 8. Chronicles of Shannara came and went, Witcher is next. There's been rumbling about Wheel of Time for years.

Plus the HBO/BBC adaptation of Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials and the BBC adaptation of Micheal Moorcock's Dorian Hawkmoon books

Plus the HBO/BBC adaptation of Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials ...

I think Ruth Wilson will make a much better Mrs Coulter than Kidman did...

Is it over?
Really?

Phew, thank god!

Guess who has two thumbs and never watched a single episode of GOT? :cool:

Man this series got in my nerves so much, everyone was talking about it to the point that I knew what was going on without having to actually watch it.
Now I'll be finally able to spend a year without people asking me if I watched the last episode.

Nice that the Dothraki and Unsullied were happy to put aside their crazed grief and disbelief and instantaneously accept the judgment of a committee (...) of self-serving enemy lords and ladies that they mistrust and hate...

...and just go home.

Nice that the Dothraki and Unsullied were happy to put aside their crazed grief and disbelief and instantaneously accept the judgment of a committee (...) of self-serving enemy lords and ladies that they mistrust and hate...

...and just go home.
I think it's safe to say, there was some major convincing that went on that we didn't see.

I think it's safe to say, there was some major convincing that went on that we didn't see.
Not really. D&D took a habit in having to explain events and character motivations after every episode, because they can't be bothered writing them into the script.
All Dothraki and Unsullied are dead, anyway. They all died in the episode 3. Half of them then respawned in episode 4, but they don't matter, anymore.

With the way ending was written, i don't see why Dorne and Aryn would even agree to remain in this 6 Kingdom Alliance. I don't see much benefit for them at all.
Dorne didn't took part in any wars, and Aryn were never effected by Stark vs Lannister war like House of Tully did. And with Aryn close connection to house of Stark which went independent, i don't see why they would pledge to Iron-Melted Throne again.
If anything Dorne could invade Tyrell lands and grab them for them selves. There is no Army in westeros left to oppose them.

Lannisters, Baratheon and Tyrells armies were totaly defetead - so this lands are pretty much for grabs now.

ab33593e3cd987a2e877c0a36da17689.jpg

The more i think about the ending, the less sense it keeps on making.
You have thoughts. That automatically excludes you from the target audience. :LOL:

Plus, you have to stop thinking "in lore". The answer for all your questions is simply: "Because they wrote it that way."

Blake's Seven had a better ending, it seems. :)
From the reactions I've seen, it seems The Sopranos had a better ending. People like to complain too much these days. They forget that they weren't making the show, GRRM has yet to get off his behind and write the books (even JKR finished the Potter books in time for the films) and no matter how much they don't like it, they couldn't make GoT anywhere near as good as D&D did.

Personally I don't feel the ending (episode 6) was too bad. I have also no problem with what happened in this season to certain characters.

Very problematic for me is the way they got to that ending in this last season. It feels so incredibly rushed and disrespectful. We hopped from scene to scene and they did not take the time to truly connect them. Virtually all character building and development was seized, all exciting intrigue and plotting was gone.

In my opinion that what made GoT into GoT, its true character, was betrayed and disrespected in this last season.
They should have used at least one, but more likely even two, more seasons to get us to this last one, to build up to it, to show for example how Daenarys devolved, and to show the plotting and intrigue and demise of Varys. Also Cersei definitely deserved and needed more scenes than she got. We should have witnessed the evolving despair of John about what Daenarys had become, instead of him taking care of it in the span of a few scenes. And there is so much more that was basically flushed down the drain because they did not take the time to tell the story as it should have been told.

Last edited:
Top Bottom