General / Off-Topic Game of Thrones - Season 8 (Potential spoilers inside)

Bronn guarding the treasury??

Really??

Actors get very popular during TV series airing, and ride on the success of the series. But when the TV Series ends, so is as carrier for some.
Like in Friends only Jennifer Anniston (Rachel) barelly made it after the end of Friends. Ross totaly dissapeared, Joey tried but never got anything big, Chandler, Monica and Phoeby faded after the end of Friends.
Same with Harry Potter younger cast. All faded in to the void.

Who do you think, out of younger actors will make it after Game of Thrones?
Arya, Sansa, Robb, Rick, Bran, Jon, Danny, Theon, Joffrey, Toman?

Sansa had a good boost with getting leade role in X-Men movie, while still riding the fame of Game of Thrones - might give her a spark to go further.
Jon and Danny - critisized this last season in public, which might work against them, since no matter how bad writing of Season 8 was, you don't bark at the hand that feeds you.

Yep. This pretty much.

Guess this works same way with the big screen AAA movies too. Because this was the same deal with Twilight. Wouldn't be surprised if the Jon/Dany franchise coupling ended up going the tragic way Bella/Edward +/- Jacob love triangle went for their actors.

Same deal for most of the actors on Lord of the Rings (Orlando Bloom is a good example of an unknown actor who went from heroic A lister to zero after LoTD & PoC). Also to a more limited extent the Hunger games (with JLaw being the exception). A relatively unknown actress in role of Mistique in X-Men until the Hunger Games. Ended up being the only actor lucky enough to remain an A list actor post Hunger Games. And with a good degree of success.

Another obvious curse child is TWD. I will rejoice the day the show runners finally embrace reality. Take it behind the barn and put it out of its misery. But Andrew Lincoln may be the only actor who managed to survive being type casted into one role/trope of Rick Grimes. All the other actors/actresses will be a long gone after thought in the public mind after his upcoming movie drops IMO.

Recently saw Peter Dinkelage co-starring in his new role in his latest movie Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri. But the whole movie was spoiled becuase for the life of me, I couldn't stop thinking how anachronistic aka 100% completely out of time and character from the other side of the wormhole he seemed. Because as a GoT fan, I was having extreme difficulty relating to him only as Tyrion >,<

This has always been the ugly side of the fame monster regardless of TV or big screen. Goes as far back to birth of the silver screen with iconic, long running sitcoms the likes of Our Gang/Lil Rascals and to the much later the Cosby Show. None of the child actors in these famous tv shows really survived/continued in their professional careers (and in personal life) after Hollywood sucked the soul out of them. Just ask Lindsay Lohan or poor McCauly Caulkin. But on the bright side, there are that 1% that went on to become successful in their personal lives the likes of Rod Howard, Brooke Sheilds, and former Senator Shirley Temple Black.

edit: ironic how the GoT showrunners couldn't wait to kill off their Golden Goose---despite being pressured by RR Martin & HBO to do the opposite. While TWD show runners are completely incapable of letting their Golden Goose go--despite the fact their fan base has been doing just that the last 2 years. lol

The one interesting part about last episode was Danny big ambitions for the future. This is something GRRM might explore in the Novels, to continue the story after Iron Throne Battle.
Up to the very moment I saw the last of Drogan flying away with my Queen in that horrific scene, I had been hoping they would show a hidden scene after the credits. Where Drogon takes Dany to a volcano somewhere in Essos that no man has ever discovered. Drops her in, and just as she enters the lava her eyes open. They're a Bella Cullen blood red. She's instantly reborn by the Fire God (btw: EXACTLY WHO THE <NOPE>EXACTLY WAS THIS DEITY THAT BERIC-WAS-RESURRECTED-100x-FOR-JUST-TO-SAVE-ARYA SUPPOSED TO BE<NOPE>

Drogon then swoops down and gently retrieves his resurrected fireborn mommy from the lava and flies off with her somewhere in the direction of Essos. Where a wiser Dany decides to rule Meereen which she abandoned in her ill fated bid for the iron throne. And is left brooding in her pyramid throne room on how best to assassinate Tyrion for all his treachery. Punish the North by reducing Winterfell to ash for Sansa's ingratitude. Anything but the <NOPE>ending my eyes were visually <NOPE> with in the last 20 mins of Danearys on screen time on a show that ran for practically a decade.

Well learned my lesson. NEVER watch the movies first before reading the books. Definitely waiting on RR Martin's vision/interpretation of what the song of Fire & Ice really means. Will Martin's endgame be
  1. a Man v. Himself conflict aka Aegon Targaryen (fire) v. Jon Snow (Ice)?
  2. a Man v. Man conflict aka Daenarys Targaryen (fire) v. Jon Snow (Ice)?
  3. a Man v. Nature/supernatural conflict aka Dany & Jon of House Targaryen (fire) v. the Night King (ice)?
Really hoping it's #3. The battle for the iron throne shouldn't be the end game focus IMO. Just seems to trivialize the whole purpose of Good v Evil in the GoT lore.

Last edited by a moderator:
RE: Golden Goose

I never really understood that. They had virtually unlimited funds to their disposal (for TV standards) and were encouraged to continue.
And their excuse was that they "ran out of ideas"

So instead of simply quitting and passing the job onto somebody capable, they killed it. Literally. They're selfish s is what they are...

RE: Golden Goose

I never really understood that. They had virtually unlimited funds to their disposal (for TV standards) and were encouraged to continue.
And their excuse was that they "ran out of ideas"

So instead of simply quitting and passing the job onto somebody capable, they killed it. Literally. They're selfish *******s is what they are...
Karma can be a real female dog. Mark my words, with that sort of attitude, this selfishness will not end well for Disney on their next project IMO

Karma can be a real female dog. Mark my words, with that sort of attitude, this selfishness will not end well for Disney on their next project IMO
I really hope so.
I would love to see good SW films again, and if Disney announced these two guys will lead the next trilogy 5 years ago, I'd be overjoyed. Now, not so much.

Top Bottom