Game performance nosedives after an hour of play. Memory leak or something else?

I've recently returned to the game after a long break. It's great to be back, the game has improved a lot since I last played and I'm having a blast!

However I'm experiencing massive frame drops and audio glitches after playing for an hour or so. The game starts fine with a rock solid 60 fps (I play in 1080p on a 50" TV) but after an hour I start to notice frame drops and popping from the audio. Over the next 10-15 minutes the problem gets worse until the game becomes unplayable. It happens no matter where I am or what I'm doing in game.

If I reboot my PC everything returns to normal and I can play for another hour (just restarting the game doesn't fix the issue)

Things I've tried:
  1. uninstalled and reinstalled the game
  2. clean install of the latest Nvidia drivers
  3. created a new local user account on my PC
  4. uninstalled and reinstalled Razer Synapse (also tried removing Synapse from my system completely)
  5. bought a new USB hub as I've had issues with my old one in the past
  6. added Elite to my antivirus exceptions list
Nothing works. I'm at a loss. Anyone have any ideas? Cant see anything unusual in task manager, and none of my other games have any problems whatsoever.

PC specs: i5 6600k, GTX 970, 32GB RAM, Samsung SSD

Video of the problem:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXK3JHX0eNo

Thanks

If you don't have a page file, I would create one of fairly significant size. It will probably never actually be used to hold data, but it's important for memory management purposes.

The newest available drivers may not be ideal for the GTX 970. It needs special considerations for it's unique memory topology and it's possible that it's been less well optimized for in more recent drivers. Trying something older may be helpful.

I have a ticket still logged with Frontier for this issue. Since I made this thread I decided to by a new GFX card. Got an RTX 2070 but amazed to see I still get the crazy stuttering after an hour or so.

I messed about with Open Hardware Monitor and saw the following: when the game stutters CPU core #1 is maxxing out at 100% while all other cores stay around 60%. is this an issue with my PC or ED graphics engine do you think? Any settings to look at on my PC? I only have this problem in Elite.

CPU-overload.PNG

I have a ticket still logged with Frontier for this issue. Since I made this thread I decided to by a new GFX card. Got an RTX 2070 but amazed to see I still get the crazy stuttering after an hour or so.

I messed about with Open Hardware Monitor and saw the following: when the game stutters CPU core #1 is maxxing out at 100% while all other cores stay around 60%. is this an issue with my PC or ED graphics engine do you think? Any settings to look at on my PC? I only have this problem in Elite.

View attachment 131981

This implies your CPU cannot keep up at the settings you are currently using. You could try capping frame rate or increasing graphics quality to make the GPU more of a limiting factor.

What processor is this?

I have an i5 6600k oc to 4 Ghz and an RTX 2070. Runs the game at Ultra settings capped at 60 fps (I play on a TV) for an hour then the stuttering starts. Temps etc are fine.

I had some stuttering/black screen after playing for 1h+

Black screen got fixed by going frameless windowed instead of fullscreen, and the stutters were fixed by using Process Hacker to set ed client priotity to real time.

And my PC qualifies as antique by now :D

I dont think this is a fdev problem, I suspect its something else on you machine with the memory leak. Is the amount of memory used by elite application going up, after an hours or so has it increased

Have ruled out memory leak, well at least as far as I understand what a memory leak is. My PC has plenty of RAM. It's either Windows 10 or Elite causing the excess load on CPU core 1, still had the issue in a clean boot environment with all 3rd party software disabled.

Gonna see if I can start messing around with the Elite process priority as someone mentioned above...

Weird, it would normally grap 4 or 6, not one. Do you have have hyper thread enabled in the bios

Is another game doing the same

The only thing I have changed from default in the BIOS is the CPU multiplier for the oc. Gonna double check later when I'm back at my PC

Weird, it would normally grap 4 or 6, not one. Do you have have hyper thread enabled in the bios

The 6600K is a quad core with out hyperthreading, his graph shows the load on all four logical (and physical) cores, with one core maxed out at points.

4 core, giving you 8 logical. My old machine would have high CPU in busy areas, network traffic did effect its performance. Heat was my issue when cpu was working hard. I didnt know until I set an alarm at 90 degrees c. And yes my clogged cooler was allowing it to overhead. Busy stations and network traffic areas making it crash etc.

Also I have my nvidia drivers using CPU as well, i had threaded optimisation turned on. So GPU was using CPU to boost power.

What temp is CPU getting too,

Hi, I notice this quite a bit on the 940mx laptop. Now, I’m on a 1060 6gb video ram laptop, and think it does happen after an hour or so, but I notice it less.

This particular problem was 100% caused by my Xbox One controller, I've switched back to an Xbox 360 controller and all my problems have vanished. Smooth 60 fps at ultra settings. Pretty happy.

Just need to fix the dodgy shoulder button in my controller now.

Top Bottom