Gamerevolution.com - 5 Important Things I Learned about Elite: Dangerous at E3 2017 Including Atmospheric Planet Landings

Gamerevolution.com - 5 Important Things I Learned about Elite: Dangerous at E3 2017 Including Atmospheric Planet Landings

Not sure if this has been linked here before:
http://www.gamerevolution.com/featu...e3-2017-including-atmospheric-planet-landings

I thought DB said a long time ago that they have a teams working on "season" 3 and 4 already. What this article says to me is pretty much
1) FD has an idea how to do atmospheric planets but we haven't done anything about that yet
2) season 3 will be about core improvements (we knew that already). But the work on that has not started yet(!?!?)
Season three will very likely (it isn't 100% set in stone) instead aim to improve what the game already has...
but since the team hasn't begun working on the season quite yet, it'll be a few more months before we learn more

I do hope the journalist here has misunderstood something.
what do you guys think about this?

FD has already confirmed that 3.0 will be about expanding existing things (which I find a good thing). It's a shame that atmos are still very far away (if we'll ever seen them at all), but this is not new info.

This article (if true) also confirms my suspicions that there is no fabled "10 year plan", they are adding up stuff as they go. And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the post.

When it comes to improvements I wonder what the real capacity of the engine (Cobra) FD uses can really do.

I'm not talking about good or bad engine, I'm saying that every engine has limitations.

Part of the misunderstanding communications between FD and Elite community start at this point.
They do not reveal their real limitations, maybe afraid to be misunderstood and they would be misinterpreted for sure.

We want things that cannot be done because we don't know what the limitations are.

For these reasons I believe that Braben and company have such a hard time to explain to the community why certain things are not implemented in the game. [alien]

I'm actually not too surprised that atmo landings aren't a near-future thing. When you stop to think about it it would almost have to be an entire second game in addition to what we have, kind of like bolting No Man's Sky onto Elite.

Given what Obsidian Ant & others saw during their recent visit, I suspect the reporter has the wrong end of the stick. Also, though I certainly had no expectation of Earth likes anytime soon, I do hope they look at expanding the number of landfall planets over the next 12 months. Even ones with atmospheres of less than 0.2 could be interesting.

Ouch.

"Like many Elite: Dangerous players, I want to be able to land on atmospheric planets like Earth. I asked Sammarco about this, prefacing by stating that I can imagine that it'd be a huge technical challenge. He explained that it's something the team could do, but would require an incredible amount of work. As they see it, there are other things they can develop that would perhaps be much more profound to gameplay and content."

Ouch.

"Like many Elite: Dangerous players, I want to be able to land on atmospheric planets like Earth. I asked Sammarco about this, prefacing by stating that I can imagine that it'd be a huge technical challenge. He explained that it's something the team could do, but would require an incredible amount of work. As they see it, there are other things they can develop that would perhaps be much more profound to gameplay and content."

Given what Obsidian Ant & others saw during their recent visit, I suspect the reporter has the wrong end of the stick. Also, though I certainly had no expectation of Earth likes anytime soon, I do hope they look at expanding the number of landfall planets over the next 12 months. Even ones with atmospheres of less than 0.2 could be interesting.

I'm actually not too surprised that atmo landings aren't a near-future thing. When you stop to think about it it would almost have to be an entire second game in addition to what we have, kind of like bolting No Man's Sky onto Elite.

Note the Like Earth part of the question

I do not personally believe that Elite is in "maintenance mode" or anything like that. I believe Obsidian Ant and others who said there's a big team of 100'ish people working on Elite and I would be surprised if this was not the case. I know this is a business and profits have to be made and all that, but I want to believe it's not just business for the CEO of FD.

Which is why it is quite surprising if the article is true and there's very little done for any major new content yet. Be it core improvements of everything, or atmospheric landings, or gas giants or whatever

Two article's in there that give us some interesting information nice one for posting.
In the second piece he describes a spiky base with cave full of eggs this obviously sounds like what we caught a glimpse of in the latest trailer.

Not necessarily. Most atmo planets types won't have life, FD could start with those.

If Season 3 isn't being worked on, then I'd say FD have a serious productivity issue. I don;t understand why it takes 100 employees to create a unskipable cutscene and some marketing material. The game's progress has slowed dramatically this year, I expected that was driven by people working on season 3. If not, then What The Funk are these people doing?

Last edited:
FD has already confirmed that 3.0 will be about expanding existing things (which I find a good thing). It's a shame that atmos are still very far away (if we'll ever seen them at all), but this is not new info.

This article (if true) also confirms my suspicions that there is no fabled "10 year plan", they are adding up stuff as they go.

No they have not. Nobody has said anything about 3.0. All they have said is that the next few major updates will be to expand on existing core mechanics and already released gameplay. 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 have all been considered major updates by FDev. That is what they have called them.

The core gameplay updates could be 2.5/1.10 2.6/1.11 etc.

We don't know until they tell us. I still suspect we may get some more planets to land on in the next expansion. The planetary generation guys must be working on something, or are they all just sitting there twiddling their thumbs for the last 2 years. I could even see basic atmospheric planets this xmas.

Not necessarily. Most atmo planets types won't have life, FD could start with those.

Those are the ones I am thinking of. There are lots of truly stunning planets I see, that are currently off limits 'cause they are 0.01, or 0.15 atmospheres. It'd be a perfect start point for testing atmospheric physics-both in terms of landing/take off, & in how the sky looks on these trace atmo worlds.

No they have not. Nobody has said anything about 3.0. All they have said is that the next few major updates will be to expand on existing core mechanics and already released gameplay. 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 have all been considered major updates by FDev. That is what they have called them.

The core gameplay updates could be 2.5/1.10 2.6/1.11 etc.

We don't know until they tell us. I still suspect we may get some more planets to land on in the next expansion. The planetary generation guys must be working on something, or are they all just sitting there twiddling their thumbs for the last 2 years. I could even see basic atmospheric planets this xmas.

They have already confirmed in this very forum that after 2.4, they will focus on core improvements to existing gameplay. Calling it 2.5 or 3.0 is just a technicality.

Ouch.

It's a bit unsettling that from "a long way off" earth-likes have already turned into just a possibility...

I always believed they were many years away, but from that to "we could do it"...

Last edited:
Top Bottom