Gamescom 2019 - Streaming Schedule

photo_2019-08-20_16-39-25.jpg

Paul_Crowther

Community Manager
Frontier
Hey all, removed a couple of posts that were coming across as a little too harsh on the people streaming Planet Zoo today. Keep in mind that this is the first time streamers are getting a hands on play with Planet Zoo and it's a fresh experience with new mechanics and new things to keep an eye on. Not everything is going to necessarily go smoothly right away.

We've got some more great streamers this week who will be enjoying the game so we can all look forward to more interesting antics and maybe even a few unexpected challenges in the streams!

You don't have to be a fan of every streamer but we're sure everyone appreciates the chance to get a sneak peak at the game anyway ;)

Hi Paul & Bo

Can you guys sort out a different map for the streamers to try? I don't think giving new players a zoo where everything has gone wrong was the right move. This is the first time they're playing and the first gameplay we're seeing and it's chaos.

On the journey running up to this game's release, we've all been celebrating the wonderful work Frontier has put into bringing these animals to life but the map you've chosen for debut gameplay is full of carcasses.
We've been excited about what kind of enclosures we could build to make these animals happy but each streamer has had to contend with the chaos that follows most of the animals escaping in the demo.

For anyone who hasn't been following this game on Youtube or your social media channels, this particular map gives the wrong impression of what this game will be like (apart from the most challenging maps/ extreme cases) I expect.

All the best,
Chris

Last edited:
Hi Paul & Bo

Can you guys sort out a different map for the streamers to try? I don't think giving new players a zoo where everything has gone wrong was the right move. This is the first time they're playing and the first gameplay we're seeing and it's chaos.

On the journey running up to this game's release, we've all been celebrating the wonderful work Frontier has put into bringing these animals to life but the map you've chosen for debut gameplay is full of carcasses.
We've been excited about what kind of enclosures we could build to make these animals happy but each streamer has had to contend with the chaos that follows most of the animals escaping in the demo.

For anyone who hasn't been following this game on Youtube or your social media channels, this particular map gives the wrong impression of what this game will be like (apart from the most challenging maps/ extreme cases) I expect.

All the best,
Chris

Sadly, I don't think they can just go and change the alpha build out.. as that build was built ahead of time. So I'm thinking the streamers are going to be playing that build for the rest of the week. However, I agree that the alpha build they chose was kind of a poor choice, as the animals are constantly unhappy, and the hippos flat out die at the beginning of the demo. This makes me wonder how easy will it be to make the animals upset or angry, and if them breaking out or getting mad will be as common as it is in this demo. Makes me wonder if managing the animals is just tedious instead of fun while being challenging.

Sadly, I don't think they can just go and change the alpha build out.. as that build was built ahead of time. So I'm thinking the streamers are going to be playing that build for the rest of the week. However, I agree that the alpha build they chose was kind of a poor choice, as the animals are constantly unhappy, and the hippos flat out die at the beginning of the demo. This makes me wonder how easy will it be to make the animals upset or angry, and if them breaking out or getting mad will be as common as it is in this demo. Makes me wonder if managing the animals is just tedious instead of fun while being challenging.

I'm sure they intended to provide the streamers with a varied number of tasks that will showcase some of the challenges that come with running our zoos. Buuut, it's a bit much. Luckily there's still time before the game comes out (the demo is an alpha build after all and I'm thinking back to what PC was like when I was playing the alpha build of that and comparing it to what we got for the final release). I'm confident Frontier will work things out though.

Some things that worry me at the moment...and again, I'm sure they will be worked out:

• The game looks different (graphically) to the trailers.
  • Why did the hippos kill each other in James Turner's stream? The game was not providing the player with enough information that is easily accessible. This also happened with the feeder (when a zookeeper was doing a u-turn every time they entered the exhibit). A message should read: "Zookeeper #2 can't reach the feeder in Hippo Exhibit" or something similar to that.
Perhaps when we go into the heat map showing animal happiness/welfare, there could be exclamation point icons above areas/objects/routes that need urgent attention.

EDIT: I just want to add that the first gameplay footage I saw of Planet Zoo featured those dead hippos and it was not a nice surprise. Ha. I don't want dead hippos - I want happy hippos!

Last edited:
I'm sure they intended to provide the streamers with a varied number of tasks that will showcase some of the challenges that come with running our zoos. Buuut, it's a bit much. Luckily there's still time before the game comes out (the demo is an alpha build after all and I'm thinking back to what PC was like when I was playing the alpha build of that and comparing it to what we got for the final release). I'm confident Frontier will work things out though.

Some things that worry me at the moment...and again, I'm sure they will be worked out:

• Why did the hippos kill each other in James Turner's stream? The game was not providing the player with enough information that is easily accessible. This also happened with the feeder (when a zookeeper was doing a u-turn every time they entered the exhibit). A message should read: "Zookeeper #2 can't reach the feeder in Hippo Exhibit" or something similar to that.
Perhaps when we go into the heat map showing animal happiness/welfare, there could be exclamation point icons above areas/objects/routes that need urgent attention.

EDIT: I just want to add that the first gameplay footage I saw of Planet Zoo featured those dead hippos and it was not a nice surprise. Ha. I don't want dead hippos - I want happy hippos!

The game doesn't really look that different from the trailers to be honest. Just a different time of day from what they've shown off in the trailers.

If I'm not mistaken, the issue of the food counter happened because in the enclosure where the food is, there was no electricity, after this, the official could feed the hiccup, James Turner changed the food counter thinking about an option, but He finally discovered that it was an electric issue.

Last edited:

I think the main issue with James’ was that he didn’t have a tutorial available. So he and the viewers had to do a lot of guessing and try things out. Which slowed down the process. I’m sure though that once the information is learned it’ll be really natural to implement them into the game. For example the feeding, the staff building didn’t have electricity so the keepers couldn’t make the food. You could have a pop up for that like “keeper building 1 doesn’t have electricity” but I think once you know the building requires electricity you’ll think of it faster and the pop up would be unnecessary. As for the animals killing each other, I wonder if that wasn’t a bug in the social needs. I think with the first female the social need dropped to 49% and when the second female was put in, it dropped again to really low. Which might have been the cause also for the disease as welfare was low (but that’s my speculation on it). Unfortunately we couldn’t really check the social need as the zoopedia was unavailable.

I bet we’ll learn a lot more when people stream for the second time. Especially if they talked to the developers in between streams. Also even the next streamers will be better at handling things, as they’ve learned from the first day and the viewers will also be of much better help. By the end of gamescom I don’t expect the zoo to be that much of a challenge anymore (unless there are some bugs working against the players)

Last edited:
I think I know why the demo started in such a bad place. The reason is that the developers wanted people to have something to do in the game, such as repairing a zoo on the brink of destruction. They had the hippos die at the start, so that people would buy a new hippo to put in the exhibit, as well as to show how animal deaths are handled in the game. The bears breaking out showcases what happens when an animal is extremely unhappy. This would explain why all the cages were in dis-repair and why all the animals were upset, as the challenge is to fix the zoo within an hour and thirty minutes. Hopefully one of the streamers in the upcoming days fixes up the zoo during one of their streams.

I think I know why the demo started in such a bad place. The reason is that the developers wanted people to have something to do in the game, such as repairing a zoo on the brink of destruction. They had the hippos die at the start, so that people would buy a new hippo to put in the exhibit, as well as to show how animal deaths are handled in the game. The bears breaking out showcases what happens when an animal is extremely unhappy. This would explain why all the cages were in dis-repair and why all the animals were upset, as the challenge is to fix the zoo within an hour and thirty minutes. Hopefully one of the streamers in the upcoming days fixes up the zoo during one of their streams.

While this is probably true, having that many things wrong with a single zoo that is meant to showcase the game and be played for around an hour does not seem like the best idea, especially since none of the people playing had been given a tutorial beforehand. Hopefully you're right and that, as Gamescon progresses, the streamers will be able to figure enough out that they can actually fix up the zoo enough to show us viewers how the game is supposed to work.

I know for a fact that probably Bestinslot or that camel guy (Forgot the youtuber name.. sorry..) could probably do it, since the camel guy plays planet coaster a lot and follows the game.

Top Bottom