ANNOUNCEMENT Gamescom Reveals - Fleet Carrier Details

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
You're correct imo. The difference is that FDev will implement FCs in such a way as to make owning and running one so onerous that most people won't bother, even if many of us already have the billions to buy and equip such a vessel/ship/station/whatever this thing is supposed to be.

Would rather they spent their time developing the promised but undelivered ice planets and also add atmo planets.

To be frank, i see no usefulness in having a fleet carrier that requires a weeks worth of grinding in order to make just one jump...which, knowing FDev, is exactly what will be required.

I share this sentinment a bit, but am going to try and stay positive. Seeing how things like Holo-Me and GalNet voice, etc, were done, is they implement things into the game when they can. I think they may have intended for ice planets, but when they did it over a bigger network, it didn't work. I have this concern about Fleet Carriers, too. Everything looks like it should work. If it doesn't at "go time", they will not release it. There's bugs they can work with, then there's bigger bugs that just may break everything. Then, I have a backup hope that things they've wanted to do but cant, with how their engine is now, will be fixed with next years big update.

I think the usefulness will be for long range stuff. Being able to repair while on the other side of the galaxy, etc. It may not be worth it to some, but they're not forcing people to use these things, but they're there to be used. I'll definitely be using this, if it makes it into the game.

One thing I am wondering about is the lack of a shipyard. Shipyard is how you get your multiple ships around, currently. You cant have 2 ships at a place without a shipyard. Does anyone know if they'll be using another way to have more than one of your own ships on a Fleet Carrier? Or, is it intended to be only carrying your current ship? I really hope we can have more than your currentship on a Fleet Carrier.

I really hope we will have some control on where exactly in the system the carrier will be placed, at least at witch body we want it to be orbiting. It would be nice to have the ability of some kind of in-system jumps with the carrier. Let's say to jump from one mining ring to another in the same system.

I believe I read somwhere that the Gnosis already is able to chose at witch body it will arrive. Not totally sure though.

If my friend docked on my carrier and we both logged out and I log in the following day but my friend doesn't and I decide to go off on a little trip does my friend get dragged along for the ride or does his/her ship get transferred to the nearest station

I really hope we will have some control on where exactly in the system the carrier will be placed, at least at witch body we want it to be orbiting. It would be nice to have the ability of some kind of in-system jumps with the carrier. Let's say to jump from one mining ring to another in the same system.

I believe I read somwhere that the Gnosis already is able to chose at witch body it will arrive. Not totally sure though.
Wouldn't us deciding what body we want to be orbiting require us to have access to the system data, what if we don't have that yet i.e its undiscovered by me/you

Again with the "What if I kick everyone out of "my" squadron?"

That whole premise fails to acknowledge that: "It's not YOUR squadron"
The squadron / wing / group or whatever is its own thing.
It is bigger than an individual.
It is (shockingly) a collective entity,

It needs to have a life and hierarchy and structure that persists when you are gone.

AEDC is a significant group with more than 1500 members through our forum doors.

The founder CMDR KNAC quit years ago.
The host of our Moscow based forum burned out a couple years back and and we had to migrate the forum to the UK.
The AEDC private group was donated by CMDR Thunda before she left to join [NULL].
Mangal Oemie is the PC in-game squadron point of contact, but he's taken a new senior position with a big Info Sec firm and can't be in-game as much as he was last year.

Point is that AEDC is resilient beyond current leadership and beyond current personnel.

If your group BELONGS to you - then it's nothing without you.

OUR group belongs to US.

Why is this so hard to wrap your head around?

It is not hard. It just does not seem to happen much.
I am glad that your group handled the transition so well. Most don't seem to and I am betting that FD does not want to add drama resolution to their workload.

That is my opinion. Your's may be different.

What could be cool. If it takes a long time for the support vehicle to go find resources. If it does this or can be set to automatically do this while offline. You can mine and play then log off and do other stuff. Or get in a ship and go do something while it reloads. Then if you can gather 100 fuel for the carrier you can jump 50,000 LY do what you and wait maybe 30 minutes to several hours or more to fill up. It could make sense if the fuel is like engineerig resources and is a set bar like a tier 5 resource.

I'd like fighter bays. It's not a carrier if it can't launch fighters.

There is a bounty hunting and another combat or oriented or two setups. It might. It would funny if they auto launch NPC ships though and we still can't send out more then one actual mini fighters. 8\

Last edited:
I've seen the trailer a few times and paused it on the landing pads to get a good look, but to me it seems they're too close to each other to have the hanger we get pulled into. So I doubt we'll have a shipyard/outfitting
I believe they have a hangar when you look at the trailer they going down, also it seems with the exploration carrier you go inside to dock

Well if it's assume it will be used solo, or no more than4 people at a time from sqauds. Maybe there are only 4 outfitting bays. Then it's assuming you are holding redundant ships for exploration or other purposes. I think it's already stated there will be outfitting and basically everything on a station.

I believe they have a hangar when you look at the trailer they going down, also it seems with the exploration carrier you go inside to dock
Where in the world did you get that opinion from? It's clear there's only one carrier in the trailer and docking is external same as an outpost.

When a fleet carrier jumps into a system where will it land? If it lands orbiting the main star it seems like it might be a navigation hazard if maybe your whole squadron jumped into that system.
Will fleet carriers persist on logout? Will others be able to dock at my carrier if im not online?
More specifically, what if you end up in orbit of this kind of system's main star? Will the FC mass play a significant factor in SC or high waking out of this system?

Or exit witch space after that 500 LY jump with tank on E, and find yourself in this type of RNG purgatory system....

....with zero human populated worlds anywhere within a 200 LY radius of your FC? Are the Fuel Rats planning some profound S&R mission strategies to bail your dumb @$$ up out of there? Assuming your FC has a life support module. So you don't have to abandon ship for one of your other ships that is....

What about surfing the neuron star highway? Trying to orbit high G planets? How does the FC mass factor into that?

Well I am looking forward to owning an FC providing I have enough funds for it the 10bn cr sound about right to me I earn most of my cr from trading or missions so the trading version is what I will be looking for but I do wonder how the fuel mechanism will work.

Can't wait to never be able to afford it but always look longingly!

Don't worry, it's likely that the first iteration will be a miss anyway :D

But yeah, they can't be cheap. Though, thinking about it now, would be nice to get smaller, cheaper versions. For example, only with medium and small pads. And just small pads. To sort of have three tiers and allow people with thinner wallets to make some advantage of FCs. So a player could start with the smallest one and then upgrade when they have more funds.

Where in the world did you get that opinion from? It's clear there's only one carrier in the trailer and docking is external same as an outpost.

I’m not convinced there are hangers because in the video when the docking ports go down, there’s no indication they do the normal rotation move. But there aren’t any ships on the pads when they retract in the video. My take on it is all the pads retract and are covered over just before the carrier jumps (although the video moves on before the cover moves in place, so this is just speculation).
I also agree that there’s only one carrier and it has external landing pads. But in another discussion, it showed the carrier and the supposed support ship, which looks like a station, and there was some speculation that the support ship had an entry port on the end you can’t see. No specific facts to support that theory at this time so I’ll wait for more information.
Regards

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom