Also wonder just how cluttered some systems will be with these giant ships.
Douglas Adams said:Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space.
Very long FSD CD, It souldn't be faster than a good exploration ship.Different, certainly. 500 ly per jump is only ~10 times the jump range of a fully equipped explorer ship. Depending on the resources needed per jump and the available amount of jumps per time (FSD cooldown estimates, anyone?), it may or may not be faster than a Phantom in neutron mode.
Yep. We need a solid NPC crew mechanic asap.I love it...but questions arise. How can one Commander fly a carrier without a crew? Does that mean we will be able to hire NPCs and have a starship style bridge? It'd look very, very strange to be the only person on the bridge. What happens when it is attacked? How is it flown? Do you purchase the modules or get them built? I can't wait to learn more. Thank you, Frontier.
In a similar fashion to our Lavecon 2019 reveals, we wanted to give all of you who couldn't join us at our Gamescom Frontier Community Meet a rundown of all the details that just dropped... or should we say hauled in here by the aid of... a Fleet Carrier!
December Update - The FLEET CARRIER Update
The news you've been waiting for... Fleet Carriers.
Take a peek below at the initial details about Fleet Carriers, coming as the December Update.
- Purchasable with a large amount of credits.
- One Fleet Carrier per Commander. Available for base game and Horizons players.
- Fleet Carriers have a total of 16 Landing Pads, composed of:
- 8 Large
- 4 Medium
- 4 Small
- Set permissions to allow others to dock at your Fleet Carrier.
- All Fleet Carriers feature rearm, refuel and repair services.
- Commanders can choose a number of loadouts for their Fleet Carrier, governing services/module and ship availability to support a number of different activities, such as:
- Bounty Hunter
- Search and Rescue
- 500 LY jump range (per jump)
- Schedule jumps from the Galaxy Map when you want and from wherever you are in the galaxy.
- Commanders require a unique resource to fuel the Fleet Carrier in order for it to jump.
We'll be delving deeper into Fleet Carriers and all they can do in upcoming livestreams and forum posts later this year!
For those of you who have been stranded out in the black and somehow missed it, here's also a super-duper QUICK recap of the September Update.
The September Update will be launched 18 September for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One!
- This year's updates are focused on improving the starter experience for new commanders. We're adding a fully-voiced, in-game, in-ship tutorial, covering the basics of space flight, combat, traveling and scanning. Also, this experience is available in all of our in-game supported languages! Speaking of you veterans, you'll be able to access this from your right-hand panel at any time so you won't even need to wipe your save!
- In addition, we'll be reworking and rebranding what some of you might know as Frontier Points, introducing them as Arx. These Arx will be purchasable and used to buy Game Extras such as Paint Jobs, Ship Kits, Bobbleheads and more. What's great about Arx is that you will be able to earn them in-game by... simply playing the game!
Fly safe, Commanders!