ANNOUNCEMENT Gamescom Reveals - Fleet Carrier Details

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I had a thought. I don't have many
I take it the FC are one per instance, persistent even if the owner is offline. If you were on pc. Could you invite ps4, xbox commanders, even tho we would never see each other? Cross platform FC use?
Let the fifth column wars begin.

I'm excited by this announcement.

However i do have a suggestion. How about, instead of having only one type of super carrier, having different variations available for purchase.

For exemple :

Small Carrier : 2 med pads + 2 small pads + 2 large pads ; can jump to up 150 LY; 1/3 of the price => for little squadrons or group of friends
Medium Carrier : 3 med + 3 small + 4 large pads ; can jump to up 300 LY; 2/3 of the price => for small fleets or medium sized groups
Fleet carrier : the same as descriped in the OP

Like that everyone will be able to purchase a carrier fitting it's playstyle or purse and we won't see always the same "carrier size" everywhere.

I like the idea but figure we should just get this one first. Then FD can see what requirements would be needed for other models of carrier. Server, local PC or console memory and such.

I like the idea but figure we should just get this one first. Then FD can see what requirements would be needed for other models of carrier. Server, local PC or console memory and such.

I imagine that's why they are being released 1yr before the big expansion drops.

I've seen the trailer a few times and paused it on the landing pads to get a good look, but to me it seems they're too close to each other to have the hanger we get pulled into. So I doubt we'll have a shipyard/outfitting

Personally I would hope that the price tag is between 20 and 100 Billion credits for the high end Fleet Carrier.

Maybe they will accidentally implement some way of doing credit transfers between players. LOL.

But Frontier really don't seem to be able to implement any forms of communal ownership.

Squadrons should have been a no-brainer that "This doesn't belong to just one guy", but Frontier can't sufficiently wrap their heads around that.
Probably also because this forum is a particular cess pit of "Me Me Me" and it's the one that Frontier have a direct connection to, so it kinda poisons their thinking.

Have you thought that FD is just trying to avoid some of the drama that group ownership can cause?

Who controls the carrier? Who ensures all the squadron pays their portion? Who gets a refund if someone is kicked out of a squadron? If I leave one squadron and join another are all of my ships and modules moved to the new one? What if the squadron storage is full before I join?

If I am the leader of the squadron and disband it, do I keep the carrier and all the stuff? Or if I just kick everyone else out of the squadron, do I keep the stuff?

Individual ownership makes more sense for FD. No getting involved in 'he said, she said', 'but I was kicked out for no reason'.

Okay, I'm going to be optimistic and expect an appropriate number of NPC Fleet Carriers throughout the systems proportionate to populations etc... etc... Also, I could only hope for extra game-play involving Fleet Carriers, and hope that although these are not Squadron Carriers, a number of CMDRs' can purchase them jointly! Because it's simple, invest and the carrier is always a thing while all accounts are live - no refunds - no drama...

Last edited:
It could mean that you don’t have to be on board when it happens, I am sure we will find out in a few months.
And it might mean that everyone on board your Carrier gets a notice that you are moving 500LY away.

"But my Viper only has a 7LY jump range!"

Some members of this forum will cry blue murder if carriers don’t have all the capabilities of an average station, but I really hope that we won’t be able to buy modules, or trade etc. on the ships themselves, except perhaps buying modules that other players have sold to the carrier. I’d like there to be huge storage available for cargo/modules, though perhaps limited storage for ships — maybe one/two per hanger?

Otherwise, why have a “home station” any more? Or even use the stations?

For a minor update cargo storage is IMHO too much of a game changer unless it is too small to be useful.

Commodities market, outfitting and ships for sale should if allowed be similar too though inferior, at least for the first week or so, to that available in the system the carrier is parked in. After all you are like the new general store in town you have no regular customers and suppliers.

Have you thought that FD is just trying to avoid some of the drama that group ownership can cause?

Who controls the carrier? Who ensures all the squadron pays their portion? Who gets a refund if someone is kicked out of a squadron? If I leave one squadron and join another are all of my ships and modules moved to the new one? What if the squadron storage is full before I join?

If I am the leader of the squadron and disband it, do I keep the carrier and all the stuff? Or if I just kick everyone else out of the squadron, do I keep the stuff?

Individual ownership makes more sense for FD. No getting involved in 'he said, she said', 'but I was kicked out for no reason'.
Again with the "What if I kick everyone out of "my" squadron?"

That whole premise fails to acknowledge that: "It's not YOUR squadron"
The squadron / wing / group or whatever is its own thing.
It is bigger than an individual.
It is (shockingly) a collective entity,

It needs to have a life and hierarchy and structure that persists when you are gone.

AEDC is a significant group with more than 1500 members through our forum doors.

The founder CMDR KNAC quit years ago.
The host of our Moscow based forum burned out a couple years back and and we had to migrate the forum to the UK.
The AEDC private group was donated by CMDR Thunda before she left to join [NULL].
Mangal Oemie is the PC in-game squadron point of contact, but he's taken a new senior position with a big Info Sec firm and can't be in-game as much as he was last year.

Point is that AEDC is resilient beyond current leadership and beyond current personnel.

If your group BELONGS to you - then it's nothing without you.

OUR group belongs to US.

Why is this so hard to wrap your head around?

I'm wondering about how the the different Fleet Carriers are set up.
A bounty hunting FC should be different in functionality then an Explorer imho.
One thing that I find strange is the fixed jumprange, an explorer should have a farther jumprange then a miner imho.

If carriers/support ships do have cargo space, then I'm curious to know what happens when you pop back into a carrier instance, pursued by pirates. Will the carrier group have station-style weapons to take on pirates, who are after your (tasty) cargo?

[QUOTE="Commander Nicholas Jameson, post: 7965909, member:
Otherwise, why have a “home station” any more? Or even use the stations?
[/QUOTE]
For varjety, missions, and to buy the ships/modules you take with you.

SWUSU Press Release:

A lot has, and will be continue to be said, about the arrival of Carrier Groups. The Station Workers and Services Union would like to remind Commanders of the unique services they provide (or are likely to provide) compared to Carrier Groups:
  • A true, station welcome. Featuring top quality recycled air. Not the smelly stuff you'll breath in on Carriers.
  • The full station experience. Leave your ship, and relax while enjoying our bars, food and entertainment facilities.
  • Top quality unleaded fuel. Because your FSD is worth it. Do you want to trust some guy on a carrier to put fuel in your engine? Really?
  • Fully qualified repair and rearm teams, not some guy on a carrier who doesn't know a FSS from a FSD!
  • Persistent location. We are always here. We won't abandon you and leave via a 500Ly jump without warning. Because that would be rude, right?
  • Bulletin board*. Plenty of work to be done. Plenty of credits to be earned.
  • No billions of credits required to obtain our services. All Commanders are welcome, regardless of their credit balance.
  • Free support service. With a carrier you have to pay billions for 'support' facilities. We offer most if not all of those services to all.
  • No fuel resource grind required. Why grind when you can dock at one of our luxurious stations already?
  • Remote Engineering Services*. Upgrade your ships. For War. For Trade. For Exploration. For You.
  • Shipyards at most Stations*. Our friendly sales teams have a wide range of hardware for you to test drive and purchase.
  • Guaranteed protection for incoming ships*. Any threat to you and your tasty cargo is dealt with via our Service Level Protection Agreement (99.99%) and local System Authority (excluding Anarchy systems).
*No confirmation of this service being present on Carriers.

While we realise that Commanders would find going 'mobile' appealing and 'cool', Stations are the live blood of humanity and will continue to be so.

Regardless of your profession, our friendly station based staff are waiting to welcome you and your vessels.

We won't judge. We provide.

VISIT A STATION TODAY
Persistent. Reliable. Welcoming.

:cool:

Actually this apparent limitation is not a liability but a blessing in disguise.

Carriers = your new mobile, customized command center/space HQ. Which allows you for growth in terms of the sort of ship(s) you are acquring over the course of your pilot career.

For me, this means a highly efficient way to keep all my mining, exploration, combat/scouting and trading ships all within the covenience of a single mobile hub. Which I can park in orbit of a metal rich world, high resource asteroid/pristine ring belt, or star port station. Imagine finally being able to safeguard all your hard work with your heavy type 9 loaded with void opals. Being able to dock this in safety of carrier bay. High waking out of mining sector to a highly profitable market in deep space some 500 LY away. No longer having to worry about being interdicted by smaller pirate ships along the journey. Being able to directly fly your loaded heavy type 9 from your orbiting carrier down to the planetary base below. Dock and make millions in profit. Then returning to your orbiting base, grabbing your Asp/DBX/Cobra Mk 3 etc to scout and explore POIs your DSS picked up. Or your Conda/Vette to engage and support your PP factions in war zones in the system. There opportunities for emergent PvE and potential EvE like PvP game play prospects are dizzying.

But for me as a PvE/Solo/PG player, the priceless value of this update is the long awaited ability to relocate my entire fleet with complete fluidity between star systems. The ability to launch whatever ship/tool I need to complete a mission/job on the fly in any star system. This is a wet dream come true.

BTW: Interdiciton by Thargoids in witch space just became a more emergent game experience. Imagine being interdicted on a deep space smuggler's run. Having to keep your wits and quickly switching over to your Python/Conda/Vette etc. flagship. Or over engineered fighter Mamba. Launching said fighter ships and making mincemeat out of the Thargoid bullies who dared interrupt your black marketeering of their relative's invaluable 'Goid body parts. Spreading your double helix DNA throughout the galaxy, after failing to defend yourself in said endeavor.

But TBH FDev definitely took the meaning of grind to insure "don't fly without rebuy" to a whole new dimension. LoL. Can't wait to see the salty threads of ppl complaining about carrier ship insurance after release.

Regardless, working my rear end off for the insurance is going to be a lot of fun since I don't mind grinding. It's the experience you get from doing so (via missions, sandbox gameplay etc) that counts IMO.
I'm not aure about the shipyard on the carriers. I think they are similar to Gnosis (megaship of Cannon group) from you can't call your others ships.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom