Gankers' rights movement?

Like I stated earlier, there's plenty of tools available to bring heat on the outlaws. But of course there's just as many excuses as to why they won't work. Or, in the case of the earlier poster, ignorance to their very existence!
Problem is not lack of tools but lack of Universes response to lawlessness. It really stretches imagination that neither Federation, Empire, or Allience will not do anything substancial to hunt down known criminals, especially from places having higher than low security rating. Active criminals should be hounded in superpower level, and even in independent non low-sec systems their life should be very very very hard.

Not in Elite, one system doesn't care what is going on in the next one. They might be even happy if you slaughter people over there. Just look at the missions board, kill civilians or politicians missions everywhere and not only from the Anarchy factions. The Elite universe is not a friendly place, it's not Star Trek. In this setting outlaws and gankers are just playing their part according to the lore.
Currently all systems are anarchies. Regardless of affiliation and sec level.

Problem is not lack of tools but lack of Universes response to lawlessness. It really stretches imagination that neither Federation, Empire, or Allience will not do anything substancial to hunt down known criminals, especially from places having higher than low security rating. Active criminals should be hounded in superpower level, and even in independent non low-sec systems their life should be very very very hard.

They don't care about criminals, so long they don't threaten their power and wealth. It's always been like that. Why should one faction care what you do to another? Even factions under the same superpower are fighting and killing each other. It's a dystopian universe and not a happy one, most pilots don't live to retirement or even finish their first year in space. Even the corrupt cabal of the Pilot's Federation doesn't care what it's members do to others and each other, so long they stay in power.

Should the rep increase and decrease be adjusted to reflect player choices? Yes. Slower rep gains pos and neg. In that way if you went on a killer spree you need some time and work to be able to land in the systems controlled by the faction you got hostile with. Also if you run missions in a system for one faction you loose rep for the others. You shouldn't be friendly or even allied with all the factions in a system, maybe 1 or 2 max.

They don't care about criminals, so long they don't threaten their power and wealth. It's always been like that. Why should one faction care what you do to another? Even factions under the same superpower are fighting and killing each other. It's a dystopian universe and not a happy one, most pilots don't live to retirement or even finish their first year in space. Even the corrupt cabal of the Pilot's Federation doesn't care what it's members do to others and each other, so long they stay in power.

Should the rep increase and decrease be adjusted to reflect player choices? Yes. Slower rep gains pos and neg. In that way if you went on a killer spree you need some time and work to be able to land in the systems controlled by the faction you got hostile with. Also if you run missions in a system for one faction you loose rep for the others. You shouldn't be friendly or even allied with all the factions in a system, maybe 1 or 2 max.
Bah, in any real state even with infighting factions hostile actions need to be covert. Overt actions of violence would bring down wrath of controlling cabal especially if it is against them. First responsiblity of any state is (near) monopoly of violence. If there is not such there is no state. So say for example in Federation some stuff would be ok in superpower level, some stuff would bring hammer down pretty fast. Likewise in system level doing something against governing faction should be depending in security level very very grave mistake.

I for one would like to accept this offer sometime. But only if I don't have to sing a song or test your prowess as a quizmaster. ☺
🤣
No I'll make you do calculus.
You'd have to get some kind of voice chat so I can talk you through what to do as I'm "ganking" you. You could just use the in game voice chat as long as you have a headset.

Disclaimer: I do not engage in ganking activity (well not yet, hehehe) though I have been accused of dishonorable conduct whenever I found uninvited explorers poking around my secret mining area. Lets just say I was polite enough to "ask" them to leave before murdering them, but I digress.

You lost me there. "Dishonorable conduct" aside, it is dishonourable to think an in game asset is "yours". One change of instance and it's for everybody 😗

You lost me there. "Dishonorable conduct" aside, it is dishonourable to think an in game asset is "yours". One change of instance and it's for everybody 😗
OIP (3).jpeg

Try it. You might discover that what we've been saying all along regarding players vs. NPCs is true.

I mean... are NPCs more of a challenge than the average player? Yes. Are NPCs challenging? No. Absolutely not.

The average Elite player is breathtakingly bad. However, as whole they are endlessly more inventive than NPCs can ever hope to be. That's what makes attacking players more fun than attacking NPCs.

And when you find that one diamond in the rough that absolutely rises to the challenge? Often the encounter is an absolute joy for everyone.

There may be some truth in the fact that I might enjoy it but it would mainly come, I suspect, from the sense of achievement as my combat skills are dreadful. That I had the skill to kill someone else would be thrilling but I also suspect that 2 or 3 goes at that would end that run of joy unless I then became better and better at combat and took on more and more challenging players, however, personally, I don't play ED for combat. I have played PvP games and enjoyed them but in those games the most a player loses is a bit of face, the risks for some players in ED is hours possibly weeks or months of 'work' gone in a moment.

I know, I know, if you're coming back from the black with 6 months worth of UC DATA in an unshielded, unarmed ship, go solo or learn the hard way. Some little harmless trader though, worked their way up to, IDK, a python, hasn't even got it A-rated yet, gets blown up, did not present a challenge to the killer, that just seems a bit crap.

I'm fully aware of the git gud stuff or 'it's the world we live in' in ED world but because something is legal it doesn't make it morally right.

Alright, I'll give you a prime example.
A few weeks ago I had been helping Code take Riedquat and was using a hybrid PvE/PvP Vette. After I was done, I headed to a mat trader and on my way ran into a random player, which I promptly murdered, giving me a bounty and continued on my way. One jump away from my destination, Heveri, I see Webgear in system who then pulls me and does his usual bounty scan. Knowing he will see my bounty and knowing his usual loadout is torpedoes with a pair of super pen rails (pretty much death to a Corvette), I quickly jump to my final destination and start heading for the station. Webgear follows me, pulls me and knocks out my shields with his torps, then has to pull me two more times. On the third time he gets me down to 40% when we suddenly deinstance (he and I both have vid proof it was a desync and not a log). I get to the station and Webgear is waiting outside for me and because he was streaming this whole thing, within minutes, 6 more players drop in as well, so I call in my squadron and explain the situation and start shipping on of my PvP ships over. 5 mins later I have 2 buddies waiting in supercruise, I jump in my Chief, wing up, my buddies dropped, and started fighting. Webgear fled, we killed a player in a Conda and then ran off the rest while being outnumbered 7 to 3 and I did eat a rebuy since they were all focusing me but that's ok.

Now tell me if that could've happened if we were pretending.

!. I have had loads of bounties, never killed anything but skimmers and NPC's, so presumably, I could blow up an NPC cruise liner (cry at weddings and now your death), run into Webgear, who would see my bounty and the game commences? I'm guessing this is right, I don't actually know. In that scenario, I didn't blast some non-challenging, barely capable CMDR out of the cosmos just to get someone else to chase me.

2. Your 'friend' Webgear and you could just have an agreement, if ever you meet, you fight. Cut out the middleman. What ids the flaw in that? Why does some hapless bystander have to be the instigator in a game between you and someone else?

To hone my point a bit more, I'm specifically interested in people who are deep in role play. They discuss their actions as 'My CMDR will always do this' sort of thing. Have a whole back story for them, orphan of the stars, takes no crap, etc etc. They've gone all that way with their imagination yet it appears to hinge on their CMDR killing someone oblivious to this whole scenario. Just one more step of imagination and no 'innocent' or helpless player need close a thing.

Also, if you (not you 2 specifically but the general you) just simply enjoy killing other players, you enjoy destroying what ever it is they have built up, up to that point, then just say it. There is no need to disguise it in talk of role play etc. Just say, I like smashing other people's stuff up.

Finally, I really hope this isn't coming across as personal, judgemental or me telling you how awful you are, I'm generally interested in this nuances in this game.

I'm fully aware of the git gud stuff or 'it's the world we live in' in ED world but because something is legal it doesn't make it morally right.

Yes. Hello. It's a game. What happens in Elite: Dangerous doesn't even remotely rise to a discussion worth using the phrase "morally right." Do you wag your finger at the Slayer for shooting a hole in Mars with the BFG 10000? I sure hope not.

Besides, in the age of easy credits those fools grinding 250 million credits and hour buying a ship they couldn't be arsed to learn deserve to get shot down.

Last edited:
To hone my point a bit more, I'm specifically interested in people who are deep in role play. They discuss their actions as 'My CMDR will always do this' sort of thing. Have a whole back story for them, orphan of the stars, takes no crap, etc etc. They've gone all that way with their imagination yet it appears to hinge on their CMDR killing someone oblivious to this whole scenario. Just one more step of imagination and no 'innocent' or helpless player need close a thing.

Why not just take the imagination further and just pretend the whole thing? Don't even need to play the game. Why should people who play the game by the rules set by FDev restrict themselves and play by arbitrary rules from other CMDRs?
In Elite's lore every day innocent or helpless CMDRs get killed. Why should the game be different? This is the thing I don't understand, Elite's universe is not a nice place to live and danger lurks everywhere. Open to me represents that state the closest from all the modes.

Also, if you (not you 2 specifically but the general you) just simply enjoy killing other players, you enjoy destroying what ever it is they have built up, up to that point, then just say it. There is no need to disguise it in talk of role play etc. Just say, I like smashing other people's stuff up.

Killing other players and destroying what ever they build up are 2 different things. In this game you can destroy somebodies work without ever directly interacting with them.
If I go ganking a system the goal is to kill other players, don't care who they are, what they were doing, or what they would loose. The goal is to make them explode, nothing more. If you click on open you willingly accept the risk of getting killed by any CMDR for any reason, if you don't want to take that risk there are 2 other modes.
I got gank a lot then I started playing in open as I smartly started at a CG. But seeing and experiencing the dynamics between blockaders and defenders showed me how much fun open is. Even my first contact with my squadron was getting ganked and killed.

2. Your 'friend' Webgear and you could just have an agreement, if ever you meet, you fight. Cut out the middleman. What ids the flaw in that? Why does some hapless bystander have to be the instigator in a game between you and someone else?
I understand you have the best intentions here but this would be so lame. Webgear is not my friend in any way and his whole schtick is hunting player killers. By making an "agreement" it completely takes away from the organic nature of how these fights occur. I'm not specifically killing players so Webgear will come after me, it's just something that organically happens.

Top Bottom