Gankers' rights movement?

For some reason, all I can think is... what if the act of blocking affected the priority of the instances, giving preference to instances that didn't have someone in them excluding others?

If a player in instance A has another player on their block list, and a blocked player is forced into a new instance B as a result, then instance A would be flagged as a blocking instance and placed at a lower priority, making instance B the default for subsequent players. If one of those players has someone in instance B on their blocklist, they'll be shuffled into the next available instance, which would be A.

Yes, this means that blocking people will mean you're less likely to meet other players.
If a lot of people are all blocking one particular person though, all the people blocking that person would get instanced together.

I might be in the station for a few minutes maximum. So for my block to work against you, you, I, and the person I am blocking all need to be in the instance at the same time. Let's say that happens - you don't get to see CMDR Purple Hair while you are dropping off a single run of cargo (or whatever you do at the station), but the odds of all three of us arriving at the station at the same time EACH time is remote at best.
We don't all need to arrive at the station at the same time, all that needs to happen is a small degree of overlap that would prompt the creation of additional instances.

Now if I wanted to weaponize block, I could just sit in supercruise all day at a CG and hope that you'll instance with me rather than the gankers, but even then, your time spent in supercruise should be short.
My CMDR's time spent in SC won't be short if I do happen to be looking for someone, and even if I'm not, chances are I'd be placed in your SC instance any time you are around, and thus be excluded from encountering anyone on your block list.

As for your "I want to encounter as many CMDRs as possible" argument, I'd argue that I would see way more CMDRs if they used block to get rid of a few bad apples than I do now with the majority of them forced into Solo. Yes, FORCED. I've talked to countless CMDRs in Borann who felt no choice but to go to Solo, because of these gankers. Once I explained to them how block works, I was able to talk more of them over into Open, and guess what - the number of CMDRs I interacted with INCREASED. So I'm not buying this argument of yours.
All of your points here are wholly subjective and heavily biased. A few anecdotes (and there are examples on both sides) cannot override the facts behind what blocking does.

Your definition of 'bad apple' should not apply to my game.

Your definition of "forced" is also backwards. Someone may find they cannot have their in-game character operate as freely as they like in Open, but that hardly implies they are 'forced' to another mode. The only thing that could rationally be construed as being forced out of Open are severe technical issues where the instance selected by matchmaking cannot be connected to. Anything short of that is a choice. What is an example of actually being forced is being excluded from interacting with others because of a third-party block.

I'm beginning to wonder if you're just a creepy ganker yourself salting over a lack of targets. It's no coincidence that it's the "I like to kill people" CMDRs who are most opposed to blocking.
I'm the most opposed to blocking and any accusation of me playing a ganker is baseless (if you want to take a look at my netlogs, I have about 100GB of them saved since 2017). That you need to assume that someone is looking for targets to have an honest problem with players being able to force their playstyles on others is ignorant and paranoid.

Of course, that's all beside the point. Who is against blocking and why does not change what the function actually does.

Like it or not, I block, and neither your elegant arguments nor your pithy insults will change that.
I have neither insulted you nor implored you to change your stance. I've corrected a few of your fallacies and outlined how your policies are an overt and oft unwanted imposition of your subjective preferences on others.

You are entitled to play the game however you can getaway with playing the game. I accept that just as I accept the occasional combat logger, hacker, or BGS bot. However, since you have publicly detailed how you personally abuse the block functionality, it makes you a useful exemplar. I do not for one second believe that your use is in accordance with Frontier's original intent, or their vision for the game, and being the optimist I am I still hold out hope that Frontier will reevaluate their decision to allow players such control over others in Open. Of course, my expectations do not align with my hopes, and I suspect that Frontier's general apathy to anything that doesn't directly impact their bottom line will continue...but that's no reason not to bring up the issue when opportunities to do so present themselves.

For some reason, all I can think is... what if the act of blocking affected the priority of the instances, giving preference to instances that didn't have someone in them excluding others?

If a player in instance A has another player on their block list, and a blocked player is forced into a new instance B as a result, then instance A would be flagged as a blocking instance and placed at a lower priority, making instance B the default for subsequent players. If one of those players has someone in instance B on their blocklist, they'll be shuffled into the next available instance, which would be A.

Yes, this means that blocking people will mean you're less likely to meet other players.
If a lot of people are all blocking one particular person though, all the people blocking that person would get instanced together.
I know they've fiddled with the instancing weights in the past, but their system doesn't seem sophisticated enough to do what you propose. Even if it is, I'm not sure they'd be willing to put in the work at this point.

Blocking people also already means that you're less likely to meet other players, because there is a chance the CMDR one has blocked has the instance matchmaking will find preferable for others entering, or already present in, the area.

Talk a lot about the blocking mechanism, but nobody asks why this particular person got into the block.
Because it's not relevant.

Last edited:
Yes, this is a convenient position to consider the locking mechanism is not correct, for the 1000 things that specifically improve the work of the hunkers do not notice.

I didn't like your post but I like your avatar. ;-) :cool:
Why not? It is a sensible suggestion - if you consider that players who wish to be playing in open will be doing so anyway, it shouldn't make any difference, should it?

Although, naturally, I'd prefer PG was the default option, still multi-player but similar to a coffee filter - the dregs are left out 🤷‍♂️

Poster removed
An interesting comment... You are aware that solo doesn't permit interactions with other players apart from system chat, I assume?

Now if you had suggested PG instead, that would have been much better, multiplayer with friends...

Never mind, PvP players will manage to find their play, gankers also, let's not throw them both in the same bucket - most of my game friends are certainly PvP players, only 1 or 2 are 'gankers' along with it...

I don't like the blocking feature, have not used it nor am I likely to - are you going to call me a griefer?

It is so refreshing to hear the same old tat re-hashed every couple of weeks, it restores my soul to know that there are a minority of players feeling peeved because not everyone wishes to play with them ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Samsel

Banned
An interesting comment... You are aware that solo doesn't permit interactions with other players apart from system chat, I assume?

Now if you had suggested PG instead, that would have been much better, multiplayer with friends...

Never mind, PvP players will manage to find their play, gankers also, let's not throw them both in the same bucket - most of my game friends are certainly PvP players, only 1 or 2 are 'gankers' along with it...

I don't like the blocking feature, have not used it nor am I likely to - are you going to call me a griefer?

It is so refreshing to hear the same old tat re-hashed every couple of weeks, it restores my soul to know that there are a minority of players feeling peeved because not everyone wishes to play with them ;)
< Nope >

Poster removed
Well, open isn't anything special... (but there are a minority who consider it so)

No need to correct it - I was just nudging you to point out there are 2 excellent multi-player modes, the best even permits the player to select who they interact with :)

When they make an equal - balanced open game, you will not need a block.
In the meantime - a friend of my enemy - my enemy !

If you do not want to make the balance in the open game, you can simply add another mode :
and I think that after the introduction of this mode, the bulk of players will fly in this mode !

Top Bottom