Gankers' rights movement?

Complaint threads and YouTube propaganda aren't always representative and if you go back a bit further, you'll find the same complaints from prior to Engineers when CMDR equipment was on much more even footing.

People go pop so quick because they either don't know what they are doing, or they don't care to have their CMDRs defend themselves.

Ultimately, you seem to be confusing "because they have it" with "because they need it".

Engineers just made disparity WORSE, it was always there as you rightly pointed out. Before engineers it was someone in an A rated Conda popping someone in a Hauler for the lulz, SAME thing applies, I've just moved on with the current META of Engineered kill ships in my post. It's the Disparity in builds that is the problem in combat that one side is NOT instigating. Just imagine if every Ai opponent was given the best equipment, regardless of combat rating....do you think there would be a poop storm of complaints on the forum? I have an inkling there would be.
Anyhoo if you think it makes sense for a criminal in a deathstar esq kill ship can enter hi sec with impunity then that's a game world veiew that makes no sense to me.

And gank ships will stop looking like 'PvP engineered kill ships' the moment it becomes inconvenient to use such ships for ganking.

If there is any sort of disparity then it's irrelevant. Hell someone could kill me quick with a Nuke, but give them a stick and they still could kill me, it'd take a LOT longer and I'd have more chance to fight back.

Which is all well and good, but will catch more PvE bounty hunters and BGS manipulators than gankers.

Why? I've already said any kills to do with Factions/PP/BGS would be exempt, as would killing a "wanted" commander....I just mistakenly thought that would be blatantly obvious. Sure some tweaks to the "wanted" status to ensure dbags didn't manipulate that would need to be implemented. I'm chewing the fat here, not saying these are things FD MUST DO NOW!!!!! and stamp my feet in protest, don't like my ideas fine, but jeez does everyone need to write novels in reply to you explaining every last minutae?

Knowing the reasons why a small subset of a vaguely defined community does what you don't approve of is neither a substitute for practical in-game experience, nor the basis for a rational argument on a problem you can barely identify.

you clearly have NO idea what problem I'm identifing.

It's implied, because there is no equipment that CMDRs, standard NPCs, or even current ATR, have access to that will enable them to do what you propose they be able to do ("insta interdiction and crushing force "), even against CMDRs flying garbage to stay under the radar.

I'll grant you that those comments are on the "hyperbole" side of things but was meant at the far end of the spectrum to stop the worst pkers, there's plenty of wriggle room for making it hard but within the games existing "handwavium".

A Pker flying "garbage" would be under the radar, that's exactly my point.....just what are you not understanding? But eventually If they started doing the Pk thang then the normal ATR response would kick in.

It's all about "repurcussions".

How do you differentiate between ganking and bgs/faction related? PP is easy and already done. I can change the factions I support in a second, bgs the same, there are no markers in the game to show which faction(s) I support. Furhtermore I will use any advantage I can get to help my faction or cause. It would be stupid of me to not use the most capable ship I have, even if the suspected opposition is a harmless Sidewinder.

Response is always to late, 2 of us dropped an Elite Corvette in less than a couple of minutes, no ATR or super-cop would have prevented that. Now think how long it would take to explode a noob.

Whelp I'm not a programmer, just chewing the fat, apparently not allowed on the forums. But hey I'm solo so you all can dismiss my opinions as I clearly know nothing and have no valid opinions whatsoever.

too tired of all this.

Anyhoo if you think it makes sense for a criminal in a deathstar esq kill ship can enter hi sec with impunity then that's a game world veiew that makes no sense to me.

I don't think it makes sense for a known criminal to travel through any well patrolled area of space with impunity, full stop. What ship they have, or how they became wanted, should be neither here nor there.

I also don't think it makes sense for high-security to imply low crime, just more cops.

you clearly have NO idea what problem I'm identifing.

Something about "dbags", I think?

there's plenty of wriggle room for making it hard but within the games existing "handwavium".

I agree.

It's all about "repurcussions".

I'm all for repercussions, but not one's that require context defying capabilities or that arbitrarily target and exclude those you personally see as problematic for whatever reason.

actually missed by a mile.
AAA and even AA MMOs partition PVE and PVE game activities through a number of mechanics that are 20 years old.

FDEV ignored these effective industry standards and went with a Crime and Punishment system to hold PVP players accountable to in game societal laws.

FDEV completely failed on developing an effective Crime and Punishment system.

Systems with High or medium security do not offer that at all to their citizens.

So many solutions were available, even within the crime and punishment context that were simply ignored.

Imagine if every system had a permit associated with it. Every player can enter a system (excepting rank-locked systems) on a provisional permit.

Commit a low level offense in a high security system (bad shot, smuggling, interdiction, theft) the nav beacon auto assesses a fine when you jump into that system again.

Commit a murder in a high security system and you are BANNED from that system for 1 month of real time. Your permit is temporarily revoked.

Commit a second murder in a high security system and your permit is REVOKED. You cannot return to that system again.

Instead we have hot ships and notoriety. Useless.

The permit system is a good example of a really crappy heavy-handed mechanism that I am not at all in favor of expanding. Unfortunately, the cordoned off newbie zone establishes just such a precedent.

A one month ban from an area for murder is absurdly lenient from an in-game/in-character context, but having permits be able to prevent any nav computer from ever plotting a course to a barred system is even more absurd.

The permit system is a good example of a really crappy heavy-handed mechanism that I am not at all in favor of expanding. Unfortunately, the cordoned off newbie zone establishes just such a precedent.

A one month ban from an area for murder is absurdly lenient from an in-game/in-character context, but having permits be able to prevent any nav computer from ever plotting a course to a barred system is even more absurd.
What do you think of a criminal tracking system? A bounty hunter could lookup a galaxy-wide list of wanted criminals, accumulated bounty, last known location, etc. Something like the FBI's Most Wanted list with a high tech twist (i.e. tracking data).

What do you think of a criminal tracking system? A bounty hunter could lookup a galaxy-wide list of wanted criminals, accumulated bounty, last known location, etc. Something like the FBI's Most Wanted list with a high tech twist (i.e. tracking data).

I'm in favor of almost any contextually plausible system and a such a list, provided any location updates required a vessel to actually be identified with the various scanning methods in place (thus providing opportunity for the skilled, careful, or lucky to sneak around undetected), would be great, in theory.

However, there are numerous problematic mechanisms that would need to be addressed before CMDR policing of space will be broadly viable enough to make such a list worthwhile. Namely it's too easy to sever connection on, mode switch away from, or block hunters. Defensive inflation that has, with only a few exceptions, significantly outpaced offense inflation, combined with the ease of escape from pursuers, would also need to be addressed.

I'm in favor of almost any contextually plausible system and a such a list, provided any location updates required a vessel to actually be identified with the various scanning methods in place (thus providing opportunity for the skilled, careful, or lucky to sneak around undetected), would be great, in theory.

However, there are numerous problematic mechanisms that would need to be addressed before CMDR policing of space will be broadly viable enough to make such a list worthwhile. Namely it's too easy to sever connection on, mode switch away from, or block hunters. Defensive inflation that has, with only a few exceptions, significantly outpaced offense inflation, combined with the ease of escape from pursuers, would also need to be addressed.
This idea doesn't address the existing failed mechanisms, but its just the beginning of a concept:
  1. Fleet carrier owners complete a mission for a guardian blueprint that enables this Criminal Tracking board in the Redemption Office.
  2. Anyone with access to this carrier will be able to pay a fee (set by FC owner) and receive a tracker on the criminal they want to hunt:
    • The tracker gives a wing beacon type signal when the criminal is scanned in a high sec system
    • System body location in medium security
    • System only in low security
    • no data indicates he's never been scanned or in some anarchy system. Untraceable.
  3. The tracking beacon is only enabled if the criminal is scanned by a security ship.

Well it is not ship itself but what it is used for. I have FDL that well looks very much like "killship". In reality I have gradually built it up for situation if I ever want to dabble with PvP preferably for some mutually agreed duel or such situation. Probably it would make short work of some non-pvp equipped ship. But well I won't use it for such :)
I have a smuggling/trading corvette that's loaded up with SCBs, an interdictor, packhounds, rails, multicannons. Prismatics and boosters.
All the weapons are lightweight and unpowered, the prismatic is only a class 6, the boosters are only E-rated, but someone scanning my modules in open can't tell that - nor can they tell that I'm running cargo racks rather than reinforcements.
Long story short, it looks like a gankboat, but it is not.

If you tried to programattically determine gank-builds based on what the meta is, all you'd end up doing is gankers (who generally tend to pay attention to game mechanics a lot to figure out how best to turn them to their advantage) changing the meta.
Put it this way, I was pirating in open yesterday. The builds I saw, the people with no/thin shields that ran in a straight line when attacked? I'd wager I could pull off a gank against them with my exploration-fit DBX if I wanted to. It's got two medium, lightweight multicannons for dealing with the absolute minimum of NPCs and a dumbfire rack for taking care of skimmers/sentinels, that's more than enough to drop an unshielded asp. (and to any lawfuls that might try to catch me, all I can say is "good luck, I'm behind a 70ly jump range")
Whelp I'm not a programmer, just chewing the fat, apparently not allowed on the forums. But hey I'm solo so you all can dismiss my opinions as I clearly know nothing and have no valid opinions whatsoever.

too tired of all this.
One of the projects I'm in has a github label for suggestions called "more complicated than you think". It's usually reserved for people that make suggestions like "oh just detect gank builds" then are utterly unable to provide a definition of a "gank build" that (a) doesn't pick up false positives and end up treating innocent people like gankers, and (b) isn't circumvented easily by people ganking in something that doesn't meet those criteria.

Look at what happened with the speed limit - how do you distinguish a "station rammer" from "a trader in a T9"? They used "going fast".
Result? Suicidewinders causing the game to treat innocent people that are going slightly fast as if they're deliberately ramming people.

This idea doesn't address the existing failed mechanisms, but its just the beginning of a concept:
  1. Fleet carrier owners complete a mission for a guardian blueprint that enables this Criminal Tracking board in the Redemption Office.
  2. Anyone with access to this carrier will be able to pay a fee (set by FC owner) and receive a tracker on the criminal they want to hunt:
    • The tracker gives a wing beacon type signal when the criminal is scanned in a high sec system
    • System body location in medium security
    • System only in low security
    • no data indicates he's never been scanned or in some anarchy system. Untraceable.
  3. The tracking beacon is only enabled if the criminal is scanned by a security ship.

I prefer a more player directed system, but not one that is contingent on access to FC. Rather some sort of bulletin board system available at any most any port, and the ability for "report crimes" to automatically update the bounty figures and locations on these boards, with the possibility of CMDRs (and relevant NPCs) leaving specific notes on some entries.

Not sure how I feel about a beacon type locator. I understand the desire and utility for it from a gamist perspective, and could justify it as a necessary abstraction, but it does seem like it would be overly powerful and take some of the entertainment and skill out of doing the 'last mile' tracking work one's self.

The builds I saw, the people with no/thin shields that ran in a straight line when attacked? I'd wager I could pull off a gank against them with my exploration-fit DBX if I wanted to. It's got two medium, lightweight multicannons for dealing with the absolute minimum of NPCs and a dumbfire rack for taking care of skimmers/sentinels, that's more than enough to drop an unshielded asp.

I have a mission runner/exploration/taxi DBX that I generally change nothing on except to swap between a 16t corrosion resistant cargo rack and a fuel scoop, as needed, or swapping out weapons I'm Engineering. It's got about 1500 hull, solid resists, an MRP, DSS, SRV bay, Guardian FSD booster, two chaff, one PDT, a heatsink launcher, two LR 5 superpen rails, and a large rapidfire 5 penentrator dumbfire rack. Only ~56ly jump range on mine, but that's still four times the jump range of the vessel I've done most of my exploring in.

(and to any lawfuls that might try to catch me, all I can say is "good luck, I'm behind a 70ly jump range")

Any high wake--if your system is capable of loading the next without undue delay, relative to one's pursuers--can be an automatic escape due to the fact that, unless one jumps into a populated system, there will be no one to hold the instance open to reveal a low wake if you drop down before anyone else has dropped in behind you, and you can always drop down immediately, irrespective of cooldown, by cutting power to thrusters or FSD.

It's a bad, overly binary, system that effectively means experienced CMDR have to opt-in to being pursued.

I prefer a more player directed system, but not one that is contingent on access to FC. Rather some sort of bulletin board system available at any most any port, and the ability for "report crimes" to automatically update the bounty figures and locations on these boards, with the possibility of CMDRs (and relevant NPCs) leaving specific notes on some entries.

Not sure how I feel about a beacon type locator. I understand the desire and utility for it from a gamist perspective, and could justify it as a necessary abstraction, but it does seem like it would be overly powerful and take some of the entertainment and skill out of doing the 'last mile' tracking work one's self.
What would be interesting is if they could be tracked only if they're in a law-abiding system with report crimes turned on. Sever the system link or lay low in an anarchist/unpopulated system and you go off the grid, making it harder for bounty hunters to track you at the cost of being unprotected by the law.

Any high wake--if your system is capable of loading the next without undue delay, relative to one's pursuers--can be an automatic escape due to the fact that, unless one jumps into a populated system, there will be no one to hold the instance open to reveal a low wake if you drop down before anyone else has dropped in behind you, and you can always drop down immediately, irrespective of cooldown, by cutting power to thrusters or FSD.

It's a bad, overly binary, system that effectively means experienced CMDR have to opt-in to being pursued.
I hadn't thought of killing the thrusters to force a drop before the cooldown, but I guess I've never been in a situation where I've been in that much of a hurry to get out of supercruise when a plain old emergency-drop wasn't an option.

... what happens if you kill module power during an interdiction? I'm sure I've interdicted NPCs only for them hit a planet and it just cancelled the interdiction, but I can't remember if the planet was a landable one or not.

I hadn't thought of killing the thrusters to force a drop before the cooldown, but I guess I've never been in a situation where I've been in that much of a hurry to get out of supercruise when a plain old emergency-drop wasn't an option.

I don't need to use it often, but there have certainly been times when it's saved my CMDR from being run down.

This is a not terribly old example, but still something of an outlier:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKuVyKaodj0

At the time I was running galaxy background settings for an 8k sykbox texture resolution, which worked fine in the bubble, but caused any area in close proximity to nebulae to experience massively increased hyperspace load times. I was pulling into Colonia after diverting away from DW2 when Death Dingo's wing started chasing me around. It took something like eight jumps (didn't record them all) to even get enough time for the rapid forced drop. I was worried they'd run me out of fuel before I could shake them.

Normally I'm only cornered like this when my CMDR's opponents know where I'll be going, usually because he's in a combat vessel with barely the range to high-wake at all, but in this case, my custom graphics settings were giving them enough time to actually wake scan me.

... what happens if you kill module power during an interdiction?

I'm pretty sure you get interdicted.

I'm sure I've interdicted NPCs only for them hit a planet and it just cancelled the interdiction, but I can't remember if the planet was a landable one or not.

Normally if a CMDR collides with an exclusion zone while being interdicted, it's the same as failing the interdiction. Same goes for the interdictor, the interdiction ends and the target escapes if they hit something, but their target does not.

One of the projects I'm in has a github label for suggestions called "more complicated than you think". It's usually reserved for people that make suggestions like "oh just detect gank builds" then are utterly unable to provide a definition of a "gank build" that (a) doesn't pick up false positives and end up treating innocent people like gankers, and (b) isn't circumvented easily by people ganking in something that doesn't meet those criteria.

Look at what happened with the speed limit - how do you distinguish a "station rammer" from "a trader in a T9"? They used "going fast".
Result? Suicidewinders causing the game to treat innocent people that are going slightly fast as if they're deliberately ramming people.

1), I never said it was a "simple" thing to do, nor do I "think" it would be a simple thing to do.

My point about "builds" was, they can enter a hi sec system and can just loiter around with no attention from security.....that doesn't even happen now in reality in "free" democracies" (as I pointed out). Imagine a "boy racer" with a really tricked out car drives slowly past a police car, not breaking the law...I would guess almost ALL police in that scenario would do a plate check, license check and many would pull the car over even though it wasn't breaking any laws. Now if after any checks were done and dodgy things came up with the Plates or license then the Police WOULD stop the car (not forgetting it was being driving within the law) and arrest the driver for any violation the checks came up with... ALL that is completely missing in Elite. A PvP engineered kill ship can drop into Hi sec and can pick their target at their lesuire then interdict and quickly kill their target for the Lulz and be out before ATR responds, I've heard that NOT from victims but from those that DO IT. Are they lying?

So imagine this:

*by notorious I mean a system to determine how many Pilot's Federation commanders they have killed, how many were allowed (BGS/Faction/PP/BH etc), how many were in a much weaker ship and how many kills. I am fully aware I don't fully understand the existing system of notoriety.

Notorious* Seal clubber enters Hi sec system in a PvP kill ship, almost immediatley (just as we can do as players by scanning a ship that pops into the system in Supercurise) by nearest patrol craft, the scan reveals the murderhobos record v Pilots federation members*, so is "rogue" and has "betrayed the Pilot's federation" (FD OWN wording). Reinforcements are immediately sent and the murderhobo is harrassed by the security forces (high end Ai routines and hi end engineered kill ships), because player has "betrayed the pilots fed" (once again FDs own words) No insurance. That makes a murderhobo operating In hi sec has MUCH more risk. Some will relish the risk I'm not denying that, but at least it shouldn't be easy for them.

Notorious* Seal Clubber enters Hi sec system in fully A rated and engineered Sidewinder, because of the "extras" the security STILL scans immediately and the same thing happens, just that the seal clubber has even less of a chance V the high end kill ships dispatched. I've seen the vids earlier of so called sidewinder greifing, pretty sure everything was hi end on the build and engineered.

Notorious* Seal Clubber enters Hi sec system in low rated unengineered Sidewinder, has as much chance of being scanned as anyone else, so a skilled pilot in a "garbage" build can be like "Pablo Escobar" and move around easily, but if they commit a crime the response will still be harsh and they will be in a smaller less powerful ship to defend/escape (and I'd even suggest the Ai should be alowed to track for 5-10 systems harrassing the murderhobo.....e.g. FBI etc not stopped by state borders, same system would apply)

BH/commander with no notoriety (only justified kills within game rules of law) enters hi sec system in a high end PvP kill ship, also immediately scanned maybe even interdicted to be closly scanned, nothing untoward found "you can go on your way" i.e. no problem. BH also can pick up "missions" to kill murderhobos/seal clubbers and are alerted if one is in close proximity (after a scan) to join the hunt.

Y'know Common sense stuff. May not be easy to program, I don't know....shouldn't be a reason to shout someones suggestins down though.

2) Speed limit, hit a child at 31mph and kill the child and it doesn't matter that you were only "slightly" speeding, same applies to the game, it's a dystopian society with harsh laws for speeding and loitering....but ironically as we're discussing VERY leniant on Murder. Also If the Suicidewinder is flown by a notorious commander THEY still get blamed and victm get's fully reimburced for everything 100% ship 100% cargo by the Pilots fed, suicidewinder pilot get's no nothing but an extra unjustifed "kill" to their record.

In the interest of fairness we could have a system were a Murderhobo could bribe to bring the notoriety down, but at an punitive price so say 1billion per kill. So that could be a money sink for those types of players.

Deleted member 192138

D
PvPer: "Look at all these resources we've put together for surviving in open."
BGSers: "Your information isn't trustworthy, you just want to kill me, and anyway this YouTube influencer says I should do this other thing instead."
BGSer is blown up by PvPer
BGSer: "The game is broken! We should do this, this, this, this and this to make it the game I want to play!"
PvPer: surprised pikachu
Source: https://i.imgur.com/sohWhy9.png

Two things that are always worth reiterating in any discussion about fixing up how PvP imbricates with the rest of the game:

1. Combat rank has absolutely no relation to PvP capability. All you will learn from a PvPer's combat rank is whether or not they have access to grade 3 shield cell banks.

2. Because of private group, solo and the PvEvP mechanics of BGS and power play - there are no meaningful PvP encounters in the game that aren't undercut by PvE activity, with the exception of player piracy which is undercut by the menu log timer. People that style themselves as BGS and power play PvPers are, most of the time, low tier gankers looking for a roleplay excuse. If you gate a crime and punishment system around concepts of legitimate versus illegitimate PvP you just mandate that PvPers have to sign up to some arbitrary pledge affiliation before going back to what they were doing before.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it makes sense for a known criminal to travel through any well patrolled area of space with impunity, full stop. What ship they have, or how they became wanted, should be neither here nor there.

I also don't think it makes sense for high-security to imply low crime, just more cops.

So you think that if Escobar turned up in a tank he'd have been able to do the same thing?

I NEVER said hi sec means low crime, but it should mean more security and more security measures...this is exactly what I'm on about.

Something about "dbags", I think?

Or seal clubbers, murderhobo's etc, the small stupid minority of PvPers

Well then let's find common ground on the subject rather than cherry picking certain elements out of context? We largly agree it seems, just the details would need to be worked out to the majorities satisfaction.

I'm all for repercussions, but not one's that require context defying capabilities or that arbitrarily target and exclude those you personally see as problematic for whatever reason.

I'm actually decrying the "context defying" of the current system, but you are fine with it? The people I see as problematic are not just a problem for the victims, but have clearly led to some labelling ALL PvPers (which I have found to be incorrect) which has led to toxicity cropping up in the forums from time to time. My ideas would make it easier for BH players to track targets. (yes I know Instancing is the techincal problem with my ideas...doesn't mean the idea in principal are not good)

Once again (FDs own wording) I fail to see how commanders who have gone "Rogue" and "betrayed the pilots federation" should be treated the same as other commanders, that is grossly unfair and about as "context defying" as you can get.

Deleted member 192138

D
How do you introduce mechanics for the game to recognise "legitimate" PvP versus murderhobos that aren't easily negated just by pledging to a power or authority?

How do you ensure that players read comms or look for other markers so that they recognise when they're being attacked for "legitimate" PvP purposes rather than just murderhobo'd?

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
How do you introduce mechanics for the game to recognise "legitimate" PvP versus murderhobos that aren't easily negated just by pledging to a power or authority?
Good question.
How do you ensure that players read comms or look for other markers so that they recognise when they're being attacked for "legitimate" PvP purposes rather than just murderhobo'd?
Indeed - especially when we don't all share a common language.

So you think that if Escobar turned up in a tank he'd have been able to do the same thing?

No, because a tank would have been out of place.

In the Elite setting, privately owned combat ships are not out of place, even in high-security space. Nor is any ship type or any equipment automatically indicative of criminal activity. My CMDR can go to Sol and be offered mission to assassinate pirates, steal cargo from other factions, or massacre smugglers.

I'm actually decrying the "context defying" of the current system, but you are fine with it?

I'm not fine with the status quo, but I do find it preferable to most proposed fixes.

Once again (FDs own wording) I fail to see how commanders who have gone "Rogue" and "betrayed the pilots federation" should be treated the same as other commanders, that is grossly unfair and about as "context defying" as you can get.

CMDRs shouldn't be able to destroy each other's property with impunity, but they also shouldn't be able to expect the Pilots' Federation to shield them from misdeeds committed against NPCs, allow them to use the organization as a political shield, or bankroll the incompetence of members.

The Pilots' Federation isn't supposed to be able to run roughshod over the whole galaxy. This is why I have a problem with fixes that further reinforce a PvP-PvE dichotomy. It's fine for CMDRs to have some special benefits and privileges, but the game has always taken this way too far.

I recognize any and all encounters between CMDRs as legitimate, except when it clearly involves breaking the games rules regarding cheating or the harassment of other players...and I always try to give people the benefit of any doubt.

This is not to say the in-game authorities, or even my own character, will have the same view, and I do think these authorities should have teeth, but even the scummiest of character behavior is not illegitimate player behavior.

The only changes I would make with regard to C&P make are those that would lead to all-round more believable consequences, which would themselves make many of those "roleplay excuses" that much more viable and relevant. Blowing up someone's ship should absolutely be a setback that will make it more difficult for them to operate for a while and targeting opposing CMDRs should be a viable strategy in any contest that CMDRs can influence.

Pledging or choosing a faction should have repurcussions in the game, the enemies of your power or faction will want to kill you. By pledging etc and playing in open you should be aware there will be repurcussions from other commanders who have pledged for a rival.

Top Bottom