Gankers' rights movement?

I think one thing I've learned over the course of considering ganking, or rather the role play of piracy and hunting, mercenary contracts, issued by the command structure of minor factions, (which I think is pretty creative and to be given some kind of merit as oppose to blatant noob-clubbing), is that there is a difference that must be understood:

There are gankers who are pretty much abusing the spirit of the game, (rules might be subjective), and there are gankers who are role-playing and actually do have a conscience, and maybe - just maybe, I'd like to think that if a noob or better put, a new player is made more aware of the dangers out there, by a better written pilot's log, or just a part of the open-play tutorial (which doesn't really exist at present), then they might be more inclined to request that they be left alone, because they're just starting out. Even so - the idea of tips made clear on first few times of entering 'open play', that are given to new players, suggestions that they could simply do the engineering activities in 'solo play', then they would avoid the unfortunate experience of being 'ganked' in the first place.

But as it stands, role-playing pvp-ers kind of get a bad rep because of the isiots who just do decide to club the noobs and then grief them, which is not what these role-playing 'gankers' really set out to do. Another thing that should really be made clear to new players, is that they can set 'report crimes' on, so that security forces come to the aid of them if attacked. Only more experienced players really know about this, who most likely are part of a minor faction, who's general rules are to turn report crimes off, so as to maintain the arena of PvP, rather than PvP+game's security forces as well for the player being attacked.

TL;DR There are gankers who abuse the spirit of the game and there are gankers who do follow a certain code of decency. This is something that the game can help in raising this awareness by providing more information. (But we all know about Elite's reputation for just throwing us into the game and then leaving us to flail around hitting all the keys to find out how stuff works).
Is that somebody's off ?

Is there some downside to having that on? I always wondered about that, but it being an option made me suspicious.
Well, only for the attacker of someone who has it on. If doing PVE, and you get attacked, having it on will bring the security forces to your aid if some thing/one commits a crime against you. At least, I think that's pretty much it

Is there some downside to having that on? I always wondered about that, but it being an option made me suspicious.
The only downside most of the time is that some people cry about it when they get wanted for doing a crime on you. As ganks pointed out above, it's extremely poor etiquette to leave it on for a duel, to the point where most people consider it a forfeit. In a regular gank though? There are no rules, no etiquette, they don't get to whine that you didn't fight by queensbury rules when they jumped you in street, and if they do then generally they'll be laughed at.

Other than that? Really the only time you'd really want to keep it off is if you don't want to draw the attention of the authorities youself. If you're smuggling, for instance, calling the cops will bring just as much heat down on you as it does on an attacker, so you might want to handle things yourself.

The only other situation where it's generally a bad idea to leave it on is AX conflict zones (if they ever come back) since they're not treated as lawless for some reason unlike regular CZs and it's a real pain in the backside for your buddies to end up wanted for assault 'cause someone got into the insanely huge blast radius of your flak despite it most likely doing zero damage whatsoever. Generally if AXI are running one of their "let's go beat up a few hydras" events they'll tell everyone to turn crimes off for this reason, as AX combat doesn't need everyone to be in the same wing to get the reward for the kill.

Ooooh, I probably should've had it on the last few months then. I've only been in trouble a couple of times so the benefits would've far outweighed any problems it might've brought.

It kinda sounds like the effects a k-warrant scanner might have.

Thanks for the tips.

I already went back to the bubble but I would love a rematch with Maec.
But no, Maec is my homie.
Maybe you and Mac can tag team me then. That way you can still be bezzies. It'd just be me with my feet on the dash while filing my nails but it'd give you some target practice.

Nice to hear you're back in the bubble though.

I'm in San Tu until tomorrow 😇
Yes. Get him, Ganks!
tenor (31).gif

Top Bottom