Gas Giants

I have read where frontier have stated that both planets with and without atmosphere are getting a makeover with Odyssey. Does this include gas giants? Some of them look pretty terrible and kill eemersion... also are there any plans to animate the clouds, even if minimally???
20200929_180911.jpg

Would love to tell you yes, but I think if that’s been mentioned it got lost in the ‘woo! space legs!’ noise.

Much like yourself, I’d love to see some more granularity there.

I am assuming that the only planets to get a revamp with Odyssey are the landable ones (both Horizons-landable and Odyssey-landable types). The non-landables, like ELWs and gas giants, will look exactly the same a they do now.

I really don't see them re-doing ELWs and gas giants, only for them to have to re-do them again once they become landable. Just once is enough.

Thwarptide

Banned
According to the hype from Fdev, only planets with light atmospheres. I'm sure you will be able to stretch your space legs on current ones too.
I THINK there's going to be one issue that hasn't been talked about and should be a concern for the new accessible planets. That is GRAVITY.

We all know that planetoids with any measure of atmosphere requires increased gravity. Probably now would be a good time to G5 those thrusters?

We all know that planetoids with any measure of atmosphere requires increased gravity. Probably now would be a good time to G5 those thrusters?

Atmospheric pressure will be a function of gravity and atmospheric composition, but as you can see down here on Earth, you don't need a particularly strong gravity (per Earth standards) to get a 1atm pressure, which is probably an order of magnitude or two higher than the atmospheres we'll deal with in ODC at launch. Even an E-rated ship can handle 1g of surface gravity.

We will one day see gas giant, lava worlds, water world and ELW gameplay.
Most planet like object are just place holders so I think we're see movement on all planets mentioned above.

Top Bottom