GCS Sarasvati - early Thargoid lookout megaship

Watched an interesting BBC4 tv programme the other night about Rhythms of India, during which (if I heard correctly) someone said Saraswati was goddess of learning. So it could be we should be looking for somewhere with a library, or a data archive (Utopia?); it would tie in with the Project Thunderchild missing archive.

The other thing that occurred to me was HMS Thunderchild was in War of the Worlds; are there any other names/places from that story that might help a search for other units/the archive? All I vaguely remember is a couple of bits of tunes from the musical.

Last edited:
I get the feeling someone at FDev is dangling a clue in front of our noses - that they renamed the system to Sheron - the same name as that of a village near where folk are actively looking for the Saraswati river in India today just cannot be co-incidence.
Just damned if I can figure it out.

I get the feeling someone at FDev is dangling a clue in front of our noses - that they renamed the system to Sheron - the same name as that of a village near where folk are actively looking for the Saraswati river in India today just cannot be co-incidence.
Just damned if I can figure it out.

Actively looking for a lost river.... I found a reference that said Saraswati was in confluence with Ganges and Yamuna rivers. Any in-game clue there?

Sheron is a village in the Punjab in India - Sarasvati presumably named for the Hindu goddess - been having a look at maps of India past and present to see if any place names line up with anything in the galaxy map.
Might be some link to the "lost Saraswati river" ?

Very good catch !

I think you are right - I had some troubles finding a decent map so i slapped something together from Google Earth but it looks like the modern Ghaggar River is where the old Saraswati was located. And the village Sheron is roughly in the area where the headwaters would be .. if you call it that ... this was supposedly a Monsoon fed river.

Edit... Deleted map

Last edited:
220px-Brahmi_and_Indus_seal_proposed_connection.jpg

"...And so it came to pass, that king Ur-Dummuz came to an agreement with Thargoid flowerships, and would trade three tons of meta-alloys in exchange for a waterbuffalo, a herd of 14 sheep, and some clay pots of buckwheat. Flowerships expressed joy in form of loud oboe noises, and our people would forever sacrifice buffalo milk to the direction of seven shiny fish in the sky."

Although Saraswati is the name of the ship, so similar lore might lead to the names of her sister ships. What we want is their location. So perhaps concentrate on Sheron/Sharon?

Revised map of sheron saraswati in india.... Less sure of a connection. No corrispondance that i see to harappan sites or the river.

Attachments

• SARASWATI.png
    SARASWATI.png
    81.5 KB · Views: 218
Only problem is, the system might always meant to have been named Sheron - and this is a late bug fix - so the name might have been a clue to the ship and not a clue to move us on :confused:
However, here's hoping it's a pointer to something.....

Now, that map ( well done btw ) overlay it on the galaxy map with the "Sheron's " lined up and see if Harappan sites line up with anything ?

Last edited:
Only problem is, the system might always meant to have been named Sheron - and this is a late bug fix - so the name might have been a clue to the ship and not a clue to move us on :confused:
However, here's hoping it's a pointer to something.....

Now, that map ( well done btw ) overlay it on the galaxy map with the "Sheron's " lined up and see if Harappan sites line up with anything ?

Ya I dont know but I think it unlikely that the system name change was a bug fix as this whole sector seems to be procedurally generated names and the Nebula retained the procedural name IC 4604 Nebula. Ive tried the overlay thing before with the barnacles back in the day... I dont think the Harappan sites would work though . :)

Still the fact that they felt the need to change the name... And something else that continues to bother me about this is the Sarasvati is supposedly a thargoid monitoring ship and they found evidence that the thargoids never left (i am assuming barnacles/thargoid bases etc) but there is no evidence of thargoids in this system..... why ?

Last edited:
Ya I dont know but I think it unlikely that the system name change was a bug fix as this whole sector seems to be procedurally generated names and the Nebula retained the procedural name IC 4604 Nebula. Ive tried the overlay thing before with the barnacles back in the day... I dont think the Harappan sites would work though . :)

Still the fact that they felt the need to change the name... And something else that continues to bother me about this is the Sarasvati is supposedly a thargoid monitoring ship and they found evidence that the thargoids never left (i am assuming barnacles/thargoid bases etc) but there is no evidence of thargoids in this system..... why ?

I think it makes sense if
a) they didnt know where the goids were coming from, possibly across the Formidine Rift (as was intimated in old lore)
b) there are more Thunderchild units spread around, possibly two more in a triangular arrangement for cross-fixing detections.
Remember this was much earlier than & before the Listening Posts which we currently find, which I believe are the “probes” that galnet reported Sirius were launching a while ago.
This was all discussed ages ago in this thread; some of us went out trying to locate the other units, but it’s a big universe unless we get some clues as to their location, maybe the system name change is intended to provide that. The only clue we have is that one of the messages mentions “overlapping signals” which suggests other units reporting and also perhaps something about their location.

Last edited:

It's unlikely it was just a "bugfix". The Listening Post pointing at the Sarasvati system used the original name (and still uses it).

And something else that continues to bother me about this is the Sarasvati is supposedly a thargoid monitoring ship and they found evidence that the thargoids never left (i am assuming barnacles/thargoid bases etc) but there is no evidence of thargoids in this system..... why ?
The logs mention meta alloy being discovered by other labs, there's nothing that says that it was the Sarasvati crew that found them :)

The logs mention meta alloy being discovered by other labs, there's nothing that says that it was the Sarasvati crew that found them :)

"We couldn't detect them before because the traces were so miniscule, but it's clear that these new self-repairing alloys that are starting to pop up in labs everywhere share an alarming amount of physical characteristics with Thargoid bio-alloys pulled from their ships during the war."

I got the impression that labs everywhere were something like " the engineers" here. But good point. Its a little fuzzy. It also didnt feel like a smoking gun.. Which is why i was hoping there would be something in system. Maybe on the other Equinox ships/bases... If we ever find them 😉

Last edited:
This is when they need to use the "Rumour" function in the Codex

Orion Inner Spur
Technology
Rumour (3)
GC Early Warning Ships
Rumour has it there were several GC megaships commissioned after the 1st Thargoid wars to monitor space looking for any signs of Thargoid return
According to old GC archives they were set up in a search patrol pattern that [clue] [clue] [clue]

Orion Inner Spur
Technology
Rumour (3)
GC Early Warning Ships
Rumour has it there were several GC megaships commissioned after the 1st Thargoid wars to monitor space looking for any signs of Thargoid return
According to old GC archives they were set up in a search patrol pattern that [clue] [clue] [clue]

Since we seem to be lacking a patrol pattern... I decided to make up my own - And since Saraswati was a Tri-God I decided to look for the other ships in an equidistant triangle based on Lave. And no I didnt angle it based on the varying heights of Lave and Sheron ... I just did a top down triangle and nixed the Z values.... :)

I will be out checking the area near Wredguia OV-X C14-6 since i am already kind of close...

Come to think of it ... I dont think ive seen a single rumor yet. Has anyone?

Last edited:

Orion Inner Spur
Technology
Rumour (3)
GC Early Warning Ships

I don't think rumours will ever be used as suggested here. While I personally would like it quite a lot, the community has made clear over the years that these kind of puzzles are not well received because they're not "inclusive": people that can't (or are unwilling to) solve them will complain that the puzzles are done by fdev only for canonn nutjobs and tinfoil hatters, others will complain that ED is a single player game and as such they should be able to find and do the puzzle themselves without interference from the community, yet some others will complain that they were on holiday when the rumour was published and so they couldn't participate, that fdev doesn't respect their time, and threaten legal action.

"We couldn't detect them before because the traces were so miniscule, but it's clear that these new self-repairing alloys that are starting to pop up in labs everywhere share an alarming amount of physical characteristics with Thargoid bio-alloys pulled from their ships during the war."

I got the impression that labs everywhere were something like " the engineers" here. But good point. Its a little fuzzy. It also didnt feel like a smoking gun.. Which is why i was hoping there would be something in system. Maybe on the other Equinox ships/bases... If we ever find them 😉
The bit that confused me about this is, meta alloys don't self repair. They're just alloys with a unique internal structure.

I mean, I think it's intended to be meta alloys, but it's just...off for the description.

I'm pleased to see this is back in focus. I have a few follow up ideas, but being on my back from DW2, I am about 40KLy too far away atm. Also I have four other investigations/visits to do on the way, including meeting some friends in, and spending some time at Colonia, so I don't expect to be able to join in again before the back end of the year.

I don't think rumours will ever be used as suggested here. While I personally would like it quite a lot, the community has made clear over the years that these kind of puzzles are not well received because they're not "inclusive": people that can't (or are unwilling to) solve them will complain that the puzzles are done by fdev only for canonn nutjobs and tinfoil hatters, others will complain that ED is a single player game and as such they should be able to find and do the puzzle themselves without interference from the community, yet some others will complain that they were on holiday when the rumour was published and so they couldn't participate, that fdev doesn't respect their time, and threaten legal action.

I am referring to the Rumour section in the Codex
Rumoured is one of the three states
That already provides clues how to find Stellar Phenomenon etc when you click on it
Like how it says Biolumenesent Anemones are found in the Galactic Centre around O B and A class stars on Hig Metal Content Worlds, and how Sinuous Tubers are found on High metal content worlds with Silicate Vapour vents

Last edited:
Top Bottom