General Criticism Thread

Hi all!

The recent showoff of the gameplay and new trailer have been totally awesome and the team is doing a marvelous job.

It's one of the few games i'm actually excited about again after a long time.

With all this positivity around rn we still need to be careful about having on these rose tinted glasses, so i've come to make this thread to have a discussion about legit criticism about the game, since we all know a perfect game doesn't exist (yes even JPOG had its flaws), so aslong as the game isnt finished yet, there might be a chance the devs will listen to the community on possible improvements.

That's why i'd like to have a discussion about constructive criticism aswell, so please use this thread to get off your chest what nitpicks you so far.

To start things off, here are a few things i've noticed that i'm at least a bit concerned about and hope are still fixed in one way or another:

- Visitors seems lifeless, and uninteractive, it doesn't seem like you can click on them and show their thoughts and emotions (like JPOG did f.e.) but seem to be unindividual (like the audiences in racing games), which is a bit off turning when they are being chased by large carnivores, breaking immersion

- No day and night cycles have been confirmed, but instead having different islands at different day and night times

- Terraforming and sandbox are nowhere to be seen (building an individual island from scratch, building mountains, etc)

- Not a single drop of blood or mild gore, which have been always present in the JP franchise, even JPOG had it with a T rating (remember TLW movie Eddie getting torn apart by two T-rexes, or the Trex waterfall scene?), we've seen both humans and goats getting eaten and it just seems like they simply disappear, breaking immersion (perhaps have an option to turn on/off blood or have some sort of dlc for it and give that a higher age rating)

- Denuvo, making modding impossible (still possible steamworkshop?)

- Ranger Helicopters and Jeeps take no damage, which also breaks immersion and takes of any kind of danger for the player being in that insert third person mode

- Some kind of retro mode with old JP-style buildings have yet to be shown, same with aquatic and airbound dinos (might be in, might be DLC, we dont know yet)

- A visitor mode would've been nice

Last edited:
-Lack of enclosure customisation

-Camera that follows the dinosaurs is too low to the ground

-Poor visitor AI

-Foliage clipping through paths

-Noblood/gore shown so far

-Carnivore feeding animation

-No first person mode to walk around in (ground level camera would suffice

-No apparent day/night cycle

This sounds super harsh but in reality I absolutely loved the everything else. The dinosaurs and just the general look of the game is outstanding. As is Ian Malcom.

Last edited:
Hi all!

The recent showoff of the gameplay and new trailer have been totally awesome and the team is doing a marvelous job.

It's one of the few games i'm actually excited about again after a long time.

With all this positivity around rn we still need to be careful about having on these rose tinted glasses, so i've come to make this thread to have a discussion about legit criticism about the game, since we all know a perfect game doesn't exist (yes even JPOG had its flaws), so aslong as the game isnt finished yet, there might be a chance the devs will listen to the community on possible improvements.

That's why i'd like to have a discussion about constructive criticism aswell, so please use this thread to get off your chest what nitpicks you so far.

To start things off, here are a few things i've noticed that i'm at least a bit concerned about and hope are still fixed in one way or another:

- Visitors seems lifeless, and uninteractive, it doesn't seem like you can click on them and show their thoughts and emotions (like JPOG did f.e.) but seem to be unindividual (like the audiences in racing games), which is a bit off turning when they are being chased by large carnivores, breaking immersion

- No day and night cycles have been confirmed, but instead having different islands at different day and night times

- Terraforming and sandbox are nowhere to be seen (building an individual island from scratch, building mountains, etc)

- Not a single drop of blood or mild gore, which have been always present in the JP franchise, even JPOG had it with a T rating (remember TLW movie Eddie getting torn apart by two T-rexes, or the Trex waterfall scene?), we've seen both humans and goats getting eaten and it just seems like they simply disappear, breaking immersion (perhaps have an option to turn on/off blood or have some sort of dlc for it and give that a higher age rating)

- Denuvo, making modding impossible (still possible steamworkshop?)

- Ranger Helicopters and Jeeps take no damage, which also breaks immersion and takes of any kind of danger for the player being in that insert third person mode

- Some kind of retro mode with old JP-style buildings have yet to be shown, same with aquatic and airbound dinos (might be in, might be DLC, we dont know yet)

- A visitor mode would've been nice

Haha I didnt even read your comment and we essentially come to the exact same criticisms!
I'm not sure which is most troubling. The idea of islands being in perpetual day or night is really offputting for me; a day/night cycle just seems so much more intuitive and the obvious choice. The lack of blood/gore is another problem as is a lack of first person mode.

-Lack of actual different skins. Like individual patterns. The ones we've seen are just different hues of the stock textures, which takes about 2 seconds in photoshop.

Here are some ones I said in an earlier thread:
-Different Guest models and improved Guest AI
-Terrain tools are awesome, but seem limited (hopefully its because they don't want to show it off yet): rocks, individual trees, sand or swamps. It may get a little repetitive if you have every exhibit looking the same. Maybe you want a pseudo-desert exhibit with sand and palms, idk lol.
-I could be mistaken, but it looks like there are only a few buildings right now, again, it could be because of the early build. But, I'm expecting cosmetic structures like statues, fountains, flowerbeds, etc.
-Prey AI seems to be lacking (Struthiomimus doesn't even run from a Ceratosaurus that's about to eat it)
-Lack of minimal customization. As I said before, individual trees and such. Also, we can name buildings, but can we also be able to change the main colors like in the Zoo Tycoon series? It would be cool so we don't have the same fast food restaurant laid around the park.

Some things I didn't mind or on the fence about:
-Lack of First Person mode: In a way, this is replaced by the Jeep and Helicopter (Would be cool, but we also have these two)
-Lack of gore: not expecting a M rated game, JPOG only had small blood splatters. If we do get blood we'll probably only get this.
-Lack of Day-Night cycles: Every island is apparently set at a different time. Idk how I feel about this yet.
-Lack of Pterosaurs and Mosasaurs. I'm honestly ok with just land-based dinosaurs after how much time and work they put in the models and animations.

Last edited:
Poor visitor design and AI
Lack of buildings and attractions
Lack of terrain editing
Ceratosaurus too big
Ranger can't be killed
Map seemed small
Lack of cosmetics... Statues, fountains etc.
Hunting animation needs work

Only 1 island can be played at night from looking at the island progress screen, which is a bit disappointing. We all know terrible things can happen at night looking at the movies. Hopefully they give us a sandbox mode where we can change a few things.

Here are some ones I said in an earlier thread:
-Different Guest models and improved Guest AI
-Terrain tools are awesome, but seem limited (hopefully its because they don't want to show it off yet): rocks, individual trees, sand or swamps. It may get a little repetitive if you have every exhibit looking the same. Maybe you want a pseudo-desert exhibit with sand and palms, idk lol.
-I could be mistaken, but it looks like there are only a few buildings right now, again, it could be because of the early build. But, I'm expecting cosmetic structures like statues, fountains, flowerbeds, etc.
-Prey AI seems to be lacking (Struthiomimus doesn't even run from a Ceratosaurus that's about to eat it)
-Lack of minimal customization. As I said before, individual trees and such. Also, we can name buildings, but can we also be able to change the main colors like in the Zoo Tycoon series? It would be cool so we don't have the same fast food restaurant laid around the park.

Some things I didn't mind or on the fence about:
-Lack of First Person mode: In a way, this is replaced by the Jeep and Helicopter (Would be cool, but we also have these two)
-Lack of gore: not expecting a M rated game, JPOG only had small blood splatters. If we do get blood we'll probably only get this.
-Lack of Day-Night cycles: Every island is apparently set at a different time. Idk how I feel about this yet.
-Lack of Pterosaurs and Mosasaurs. I'm honestly ok with just land-based dinosaurs after how much time and work they put in the models and animations.

The first person mode literally just needs to be a ground level camera I reckon!

Also, the different islands set at a particular time to me is a genuinely bizarre choice. Why not just implement a slightly different biome/flora types or different weather systems etc if you wanted them to feel unique.

The problem with a lack of day night cycle is that nighttime is usually the time when dinosaurs break out or cause chaos in the series. Having a dinosaur break out during a nice sunny day is no way near as exciting as raptors breaking out under the cover of darkness.

And what happens if you dislike the aesthetics of a particular time of day but love the design of the island? You will purposefully rush through a section of the game you would have otherwise enjoyed.

Also, why in heck would guests be wandering around the park at 2am? Purely from a logical design choice that doesn't seem right.

Last edited:
The first person mode literally just needs to be a ground level camera I reckon!

Also, the different islands set at a particular time to me is a genuinely bizarre choice. Why not just implement a slightly different biome/flora types or different weather systems etc if you wanted them to feel unique.

The problem with a lack of day night cycle is that nighttime is usually the time when dinosaurs break out or cause chaos in the series. Having a dinosaur break out during a nice sunny day is no way near as exciting as raptors breaking out under the cover of darkness.

And what happens if you dislike the aesthetics of a particular time of day but love the design of the island? You will purposefully rush through a section of the game you would have otherwise enjoyed.

Also, why in heck would guests be wandering around the park at 2am? Purely from a logical design choice that doesn't seem right.

After careful considersation, I have decided to endorse your idea. Lol in all seriousness, I'm beginning to see the cons of no daynight cycles. Biome wise, we don't know if they'll be different because we've only seen Isla Metanceros. But, appartenly the weather on other islands will be more severe and different.

After careful considersation, I have decided to endorse your idea. Lol in all seriousness, I'm beginning to see the cons of no daynight cycles. Biome wise, we don't know if they'll be different because we've only seen Isla Metanceros. But, appartenly the weather on other islands will be more severe and different.

Haha thank you! Another thing to consider: imagine that there IS a day night cycle. And now imagine that guests and park staff respond to those times so that at certain times the park is empty apart from the odd guest walking around. I've always loved the idea of dinosaurs breaking out at night and running around with guests safely tucked away inside and perhaps the odd person outside gets eaten and all the guests come outside in the morning to find a dead guest. I genuinely think there needs to be some serious consequences to a visitor death.

No night/day cycle is bad in new gen game

but there are two things that should get directly into devs:

BAD UI, I mean our creator toolbar on left part of screen, nothing wrong with buttons and usability, but this blur behind it looks awful, bad - just delete it and place there some shadow box instead (I want to see full screen, not 95% minus this blurred space!)

Add OPTIONAL pop ups 'missions complete' - I dont want another feature that came from mobile games to real games - please, just make it optional popup in settings

Lack of friendly music from 1st game is ..sad - but I can live with that

I hope devs will see this thread.

Graphics is 10/10 though, mechanics looks good, shame that helicopter can't get struck by lightning or something, rest is top tier.

Like most people, I will preface my critcisms by saying the game looks amazing and far beyond what I would have expected!
But there are a few things that would make a big difference to me personally.

- Camera is too low to the ground - we should have full control (I prefer a top down view personally.) Also seems like you can't zoom into buildings or visitors? The ground level camera would help.

- No small dinos. I can understand them not wanting to make baby dinosaurs, but at least give us some small dinosaurs. I hate how every dinosaur is like bigger than your jeep, smaller dinos did exist too! Give us some small fences, and let us build microceratus, compsognathus, othniella, etc. There's already 3 gallimimus clones revealed that all look the same size, could have at least made one of them small. I always used smaller dinos in JPOG and pretended they were babies.

- Lack of buildings - it seems like there were only 2 viewing stations - this is even less than JPOG! We should have lots of viewing stations, for big dinosaurs, little dinosaurs etc. Same with attractions and food places, only one drinks place seriously? I want parks, toilets, aquatic parks, petting zoo's, botany gardens, greenhouses, etc.

- Lack of decorations - all the paths and park sections look the same. Let us place benches, bins, fountains, statues, etc. In JPOG you could sell umbrellas, cash machines, ballons, etc.

- Simplified terrain tools - only one kind of tree brush? give us the paleo brush back! I want really tropical looking enclosures, sandy, rocky, etc.
- I wish they had stuck to existing characters, I miss Ellie, Claire, Lowery, Masrani, etc. There's so many characters across all the movies they could have reused, with new voice actors.

- Bring back the new dinosaur announcement! I loved that in JPOG..."ladies in gentlemen..introducing..."

- Flying and Aquatic reptiles not being included in base game. Bit of a kick in the teeth to those who have been wanting this since JPOG, but I'm sure they'll release them as DLC. I hope when they do release, you have the same level of control over the enclosures and habitats as the land dinos.

I doubt any of these things will change, hopefully in updates after the game is out, but we'll see. I'm sure I'll love the game anyway and will spend many years playing it!

Last edited:
The game feels a bit rushed tbh, like in terms of animations, attack and eating animations and lack of customization like in Planet Coaster, i have some fears that the licensing around the new movie is pressuring the team to release the game and makes them have to take shortcuts in terms of polishing (why cut so many features that were present in PC?)

How long is it in development rn anyways? 1,5 years? I would've had a very good feeling overall if they still had 1-2 years of development time left after seeing this gameplay footage but now, even when they said it was an outdated built, i don't think we will see many changes to what we've seen now.

This is a game where i'd actually like to see a delay happening because i know it would do them good (unlike games like FFXV which turned out s*** after 10 years of development, which probably wouldn't have changed even with 20 years devtime)

Last edited:
Also Planet Coaster is filled with so many options for customising, a huge variety of theme park options, terraforming etc. I know we didn't see much of it in the movie but Jurassic World is filled with theme park stuff. There are rides, botanical gardens, river adventures etc. Management and security stuff is top notch, but it's still a theme park. I hope we can build parks as rich and colorful as Planet Coaster.

Last edited:
The game feels a bit rushed tbh, like in terms of animations, attack and eating animations and lack of customization like in Planet Coaster, i have some fears that the licensing around the new movie is pressuring the team to release the game and makes them have to take shortcuts in terms of polishing (why cut so many features that were present in PC?)

How long is it in development rn anyways? 1,5 years? I would've had a very good feeling overall if they still had 1-2 years of development time left after seeing this gameplay footage but now even when they said it was an outdated built, i don't think we will see many changes to what we've seen now.

That's the most bizarre thing; why cut so many good and simple features (day/night cycle, first person mode, customisation) from planet Coaster!

I know nothing about game development, but surely those are fundamentally important features in a 2018 tycoon game.

Also Planet Coaster is filled with so many options for customising, a huge variety of theme park options, terraforming etc. I know we didn't see much of it in the movie but Jurassic World is filled with theme park stuff. There are rides, botanical gardens, river adventures etc. Management and security stuff is top notch, but it's still a theme park. I hope we can built parks as rich and colorful as Planet Coaster.

I agree wholeheartedly

I agreee with all the points raised, and I haven’t properly watched the gameplay videos but I’m hoping they’re still keeping things hidden until release. But to be fair even if this is it, I’m going to obsess over it and not sleep much in June!

Yeah the fact that park rangers can't be attacked or eaten is a bummer. The point of the Jurassic universe is that nothing is truly contained or safe -make us fear some of our dinosaurs. I agree on the visitor AI... needs some improvement as well. Other than that; they are doing a great job making this game! I hope they read our feedback comments.

Last edited:
Top Bottom