General discussion thread for Elite: Dangerous roleplaying

I'm hoping a mod can help me out here.

I'm in the process of writing an alpha version of a lifepath generator for people who want to RP in elite. It gives a basic idea of what's happened to you from 16 until you start playing, whenever that is.

The problem is, especially in the alpha version, it's a heavily edited cut & paste of the lifepath rules from Traveller. I'm very up-front about that, and I'm scrubbing the document to change things up, remove the RPG mechanical nature of the system, and eventually want to go beyond the TTRPG's lifepath generator.

Would it be okay to paste the working product link? Or would that be a violation of the forum rules, specifically on plagiarism (even though I give credit)? Or would there not even be an interest in it?

Does anyone know a mature role-playing private group? I am looking for a one, as the open-play seems more like a gankfest with possible cheaters in all populated places. I used to play only in open but have recently given more thought to go either solo or private play.

I would be very interested about European group because I can mostly play at 19-23 GMT or so. If you know or have one, PM me please. Appreciated.

-v

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Does anyone know a mature role-playing private group? I am looking for a one, as the open-play seems more like a gankfest with possible cheaters in all populated places. I used to play only in open but have recently given more thought to go either solo or private play.

I would be very interested about European group because I can mostly play at 19-23 GMT or so. If you know or have one, PM me please. Appreciated.

-v

Have a look here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=137416

I've written a Powerplay story which I'm considering posting, but first I need to know - is swearing allowed if it's part of a story? I know forum rules don't allow it, but if it's part of an RP is it allowed or not? Because if not I may have to reword a few sentences before posting... :p

Hi guys,
Im prretty new to the game and i just wanted to ask a few questions..
By any chance are there any known beer brands in the Elite galaxy or is it just generic beer??

Hi guys,
Im prretty new to the game and i just wanted to ask a few questions..
By any chance are there any known beer brands in the Elite galaxy or is it just generic beer??
There are a few alcoholic drinks in the game that are in the form of rare goods on the commodities market. Lavian Brandy, Leesti Evil juice and Eranin Pearl Whisky are a few that come to mind of the top of my head. There's quite a few more as well but normal everyday beer also still exist in the lore as well.

Humans have been brewing beer for centuries, and I doubt they'll stop in the 3300s. As long as there are people, there shall be beer.

As for me, I like a nice Cubeo Pure.

I'm still convinced that ED RP won't really take off until we get space legs, but sites like Inara are integral to laying the groundwork, I think.

Last edited:
I'l still convinced that ED RP won't really take off until we get space legs, but sites like Inara are integral to laying the groundwork, I think.

I agree. Elite is a great setting for roleplay, but it's not very easy to do that in game, so Inara and these forums do are gonna be where it all happens until we can do more things.

I'm actually brand new to the RP aspect of this game (and rather out of date on game updates x.x Need to play catch up!).

I'd like very much to get some RP going, or join one but I scanned the threads and it seems a chunk of them are stories which is fantastic, but I'm not.. entirely certain where to begin. I do have a character profile in the works which'll get posted into the Introduce Your Commander thread. She's someone I've had for a long time. Just adapting her to this setting.

The smartass answer: Start at the beginning.

The more serious answer: The character profile is a good place to start. If you ever find yourself on Inara.cz, it has a place to post said profiles and even logbooks of your character's travels, that some of us use as a way of posting small novellas about our characters. There's also a reasonably active RP forum over there as well.

Just to inject a little, one of the big things missing here is interaction. I've come over from Eve Online which has a strong, if a little ailing, roleplay contingent that thrives off of interaction. Story threads and solo entries are all well and good to follow, along with small tight nit groups, but what really brings roleplay to life are the stories created from interacting with all the other roleplayers in the big bad universe.

While I'm not sure how it goes over on the Inara forums, one key thing missing on these forums are a designated place for in-character conversations, announcements, and generally keeping In Character interactions seperate from OOC lore questions, player fiction and other stuff of that nature. It's a bit difficult to see where the threads are that you can chat away at in character when they're potentially sandwiched between piles of diaries and lore questions.

Note, all those above things have a place certainly, and this forum here is good along with OOC threads for general roleplay sections, but one thing I learned from eve is that a dedicated conversation forum is a good starting point while we wait for better chat implementation. Plenty of Eve roleplayers only really use the IGS (in character forums) rather then even logging in these days for their dose of roleplay.

*Cough cough* Wow, looking a bit dusty in here. *Lifts a moth-eaten dust sheet and sits down on the revealed equally moth-eaten chair*. So... Is RP going to be a thing or has it died a death?

*Cough cough* Wow, looking a bit dusty in here. *Lifts a moth-eaten dust sheet and sits down on the revealed equally moth-eaten chair*. So... Is RP going to be a thing or has it died a death?

5 months later, another lost commander stumbles blindly down the alley.

I think it was replaced with 'personal narrative' ;)

Does anyone know what format the ebooks are that are sold on frontier's website? I'm thinking of buying one but am not sure where or how I plan to read it yet. Reading on a phone is not preferable.

Top Bottom