General Planet Zoo Streams Discussion

Hey all!

I thought with the streams going on right now, it would be useful to have a central thread where we can post information we got from the streams. I'll try to edit this first post with new information that you guys might find from streams.

Animals listed in the Gamescon Planet Zoo Alpha:
Big animals:

• Aldabra Giant Tortoise
  • African Elephant
  • African Lion
  • Reticulated Giraffe
  • Timber Wolf
  • Ringtailed Lemur
  • Indian Peafowl
  • Common Ostrich
  • Grizzly Bear
  • Common Warthog
  • Plains Zebra
  • Bengal Tiger
  • Snow leopard
  • Hippopotamus, which does swim and dive underwater (even poop in it as well)
  • Indian Rhinoceros (IGN Stream)
  • Indian Elephant (IGN Stream tag)
  • Okapi (IGN stream tag)
Exhibit animals:
  • Yellow Anaconda
  • Goliath Birdeater Spider
  • Titan Beetle
  • Lehman's Poison Frog
Events that might occur:
  • Protests when animal welfare is not doing great
  • Animals can escape, fences can break.
Building tools:
  • Streamers seem to need time to get used to the controls, having troubles in the livestreams with building and figuring out.
  • Building is very detailed. You can edith the length and the height of a fence, add (one-way) glass into it which can be edited as well.
  • With heaters and coolers you can manage temperature and range. Snow can't be placed or fall when it's 2 degrees or warmer.
  • There seems to be two types of currency: regular money and some kind of conservation currency, which can be used to 'buy' better genetic pool animals.
  • Weather seems to be working pretty realistic in the game.
  • Exhibits have many options to edit them, though the base is decided by the animal put in. Awesome function is to add a 2D or 3D wallpaper on a side of choice. Multiple animals can be put in an exhibit of the same species. Some animals can't be released in the wild (Goliath Birdeater Spider couldn't).
  • There seems to be different type of gates: staff gates, guest gates and transport gates. Guest were tried on the Peafowl exhibit but guest didn't seem to enter yet. Perhaps it's not functional yet.
  • Closed exhibits can be filled with water, meaning you can practically create tanks!

Last edited:
Does anyone have any idea what the leaf money is when you go to the trade center? At first I thought the leaves might be a reflection of how well your zoo is doing. So the more leaves you have the more exotic, dangerous, rare,... animals you can get. I don’t know if it is actual currency that gets withdrawn or if it is a sort of certificate that you can just get them. Kinda like you got 200 leaves so you can get a lion that costs 190 leaves but after purchasing (or trading perhaps) you still have 200 leaves. Curious to hear what some other theories are.

Does anyone have any idea what the leaf money is when you go to the trade center? At first I thought the leaves might be a reflection of how well your zoo is doing. So the more leaves you have the more exotic, dangerous, rare,... animals you can get. I don’t know if it is actual currency that gets withdrawn or if it is a sort of certificate that you can just get them. Kinda like you got 200 leaves so you can get a lion that costs 190 leaves but after purchasing (or trading perhaps) you still have 200 leaves. Curious to hear what some other theories are.
I think one Streamer said it's regular money currency and Conservation currency but I can't really remember what he said it meant. I will add it to the first post :)

I think you right but I can't figure out how it works. The only thig I remember is that breeding, selling and freeing animals give you a score (the leaves, I believe). I'd like that if you get a lion that cost 190 leaves then you have 10 leaves, in this way you are continuosly encourage to give freedom, breeding etc... animals.
I think encouraging the animal "rotation" is the main function of this feature. When your population grows old or the gene pool gets too narrow, you may lose the whole enclosure.
At least I think that's how it's gonna work.

I was kind of disappointed in the official livestream. It was only 16 minutes and didn't really show what I was expecting it to. I thought we were going to get to see the devs themselves playing the game (and in turn, showing us how to play) for at least an hour to an hour and a half, like the rest of the livestreams today did. None of the other streamers really knew what they were doing, which is understandable, so I was looking forward to watching and learning from the devs themselves. But, apparently, that was never the plan. Unless I've missed something.

I was kind of disappointed in the official livestream. It was only 16 minutes and didn't really show what I was expecting it to. I thought we were going to get to see the devs themselves playing the game (and in turn, showing us how to play) for at least an hour to an hour and a half, like the rest of the livestreams today did. None of the other streamers really knew what they were doing, which is understandable, so I was looking forward to watching and learning from the devs themselves. But, apparently, that was never the plan. Unless I've missed something.
LOL So have I. I had just taken the bowl with the chips in my hand ... But then the ladies said goodbye already.

I agree, it would have been nice to have a longer presentation. Maybe they will do a livestream soon though.

I missed the streams and can't find any bar one. (which was in German but I thought: 'Well, at least I get to see gameplay'). Very frustrating to find that particular streamer spent the majority of her playtime talking to her followers/chat and not getting stuck into the gameplay. Instead just moving the camera around to dead animals she didn't feed, haha.

I agree, it would have been nice to have a longer presentation. Maybe they will do a livestream soon though.

I missed the streams and can't find any bar one. (which was in German but I thought: 'Well, at least I get to see gameplay'). Very frustrating to find that particular streamer spent the majority of her playtime talking to her followers/chat and not getting stuck into the gameplay. Instead just moving the camera around to dead animals she didn't feed, haha.

Here you go! Some of these will not be linked to the direct video (sorry, in a hurry) but you should see it as their latest video.
James:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/469804892##
Rendhammer:
Source: https://www.twitch.tv/rendhammer

Silvarret:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkSWAX1wZBnWQyRHWn17W0w

Thank you. I like James Turner's content usually but his stream is quite frustrating to watch. Not so much his fault though.

I just want to see these streamers build exhibits, fill em and care for their animals but so far all I'm seeing is the sandbox zoo falling apart with animals escaping or dying.
To be expected with alpha gameplay I suppose. Will check out one more stream to see if anyone got to delve into the gameplay loop.

I believe that the point of the level was to try and fix the zoo, since there was just a massive amount of problems. Like several unfinished exhibits, dead hippos at the start, overcrowded exhibits(like the wolf pen), and many animals escaping, for example.

Though, the streamers really could`nt get much done because they either had too little time, very little experience (James comes to mind), or just simply didn`t try to fix the zoo.

I think, for our first proper look at the game they should have had half the map empty and half working just fine (maybe with the odd triggered event to shake things up). I'm skipping through these one and a half hour streams feeling so frustrated that I can't see the gameplay content that I actually want to see/ experience myself. I mean, it's great to know that animals can escape and run amok; that animals can attack other animals...but really, this isn't the Planet Zoo experience I expect.

If every Zoo is meant to devolve into chaos like this, then I'm 100% not interested.

But I won't get dramatic, I know it won't be like that. Just surprised this is the debut gameplay we're being shown: "Look at our wonderful virtual animals - now dead!" Haha.

I was scared that the leaf money was something like premium currency, as I usually associate a game with two different currencies to micro-transactions. I'm glad that isn't the case with this game though.

I don't understand why the zoo the streamers started out with was in such bad shape. Why not give them a zoo that's at a good point in time so that they have a chance to see how the animals and guests act when they're happy? Maybe an empty area where they could build their own exhibit so we could see the building and terrain tools, as well as how purchasing animals and keeping them happy works. Not dead hippos and escaped grizzly bears. Throwing players who have never played the game into a disaster is not going to make for a good viewing experience. I watched parts of a few of the streams, but I can't watch them all the whole way through because it's just too frustrating. None of the streamers know what they're doing--which isn't their fault--and the game they were given to start with isn't very conducive to learning how to actually play the game.

Well people wanted hard, challenging game, not for kids but adults, management etc.. So there you go, if these are all challanges which can be solved with practice and learning some catches then there is nothing to be worry about.

I didn't watched any streamers video so far, just Gamescom trailer. I will expect good showing of the game from Rudi, Best in Sloth and DeLadySigner cause I know they have experience and they know how to play Frontier games.

I watched all except for the German one and was very frustrated with each. It was very clear to me that the point was to fix the issues and I believe whole heartedly that they put the dead animals in there to catch the streamers off guard. I did enjoy the reactions there. But all streamers deviated from the challenges and instead of showing off the gameplay mechanics they went for random hub bub. I would have done it similarly in my first hour, I'm sure, but this was everyone's first look at the game in action and I feel like they didn't really care. I hope that the following days - now that they got that out of their system hopefully - will be more lucrative in seeing how you actually do things. I would love to see a full park build.

I watched all except for the German one and was very frustrated with each. It was very clear to me that the point was to fix the issues and I believe whole heartedly that they put the dead animals in there to catch the streamers off guard. I did enjoy the reactions there. But all streamers deviated from the challenges and instead of showing off the gameplay mechanics they went for random hub bub. I would have done it similarly in my first hour, I'm sure, but this was everyone's first look at the game in action and I feel like they didn't really care. I hope that the following days - now that they got that out of their system hopefully - will be more lucrative in seeing how you actually do things. I would love to see a full park build.

By the time those people get to their second stream, I'm sure they will do the objective. Some of these people going off to do other things got to show us some stuff that we wouldn't see until the Beta otherwise. For example, one guy showed off a first person cheat from planet coaster, and then the weather system.

By the time those people get to their second stream, I'm sure they will do the objective. Some of these people going off to do other things got to show us some stuff that we wouldn't see until the Beta otherwise. For example, one guy showed off a first person cheat from planet coaster, and then the weather system.
Oh yeah, I do agree that they still showed us stuff that was interesting. I don't know. It was just frustrating to watch at times. I liked James Turners stream the most out of them. I like him in general, but I thought he actually tried to do some of the tasks more than the others and felt he was a but more logical. Haha

Oh yeah, I do agree that they still showed us stuff that was interesting. I don't know. It was just frustrating to watch at times. I liked James Turners stream the most out of them. I like him in general, but I thought he actually tried to do some of the tasks more than the others and felt he was a but more logical. Haha

Also, I noticed how the demo builds in Frontiers booth have both the tutorial they showed on stream, and the sandbox mode people have been streaming. My bet is that the streamers for tomorrow played the builds on the show floor to become more familiar with the game, so that they'd know how to play the day they streamed.

Top Bottom