Generation Ships: All you need to know

A question ,do generation ship show up as signal in FSS or you have to fly out far from system star to they pop up????

I don't know about gen ships, but I know that mega ships do show up in the FSS when you zoom into the planet they are near to, prior to zooming in they show up as a '!' USS in the FSS.

IIRC both types of ship show up in the Nav panel when within 1000 Ls.

Last edited:
Generation ships that are orbiting a planet can be found by using the FSS on the planet. Last I heard, generation ships in deep space / orbiting the primary star have become invisible and can no longer be detected by any means. I do not know if that's been fixed in the latest patch.

That's my understanding; I haven;t tested it since the latest patch, but I don;t recall seeing anything in the patch notes about generation ships.

Generation Ships not in planetary orbit can currently be found OK using the FSS. They appear as a Concentrated Signal Source in the FSS at the same place that those of Installations, to the right of Non-Human Signal Sources and to the left of those Concentrated Signal Sources that correspond to Outposts and Conflict Zones. Once this has been scanned, they appear on the Nav Panel. I checked that this works on the Pleione just now (although the audio logs were not playing, will log back in later and see if they will play then - I also visited the Demeter today and its voice logs were OK, if a bit quiet).

Generation Ships not in planetary orbit can currently be found OK using the FSS. They appear as a Concentrated Signal Source in the FSS at the same place that those of Installations, to the right of Non-Human Signal Sources and to the left of those Concentrated Signal Sources that correspond to Outposts and Conflict Zones. Once this has been scanned, they appear on the Nav Panel. I checked that this works on the Pleione just now (although the audio logs were not playing, will log back in later and see if they will play then - I also visited the Demeter today and its voice logs were OK, if a bit quiet).

Generation ships that have already been discovered show up in FSS but what about the undiscovered ships, will they only appear in FSS after discovery? Been trying to get this info for a while with no luck

Generation ships that have already been discovered show up in FSS but what about the undiscovered ships, will they only appear in FSS after discovery? Been trying to get this info for a while with no luck
It was first time visiting those star systems, so I had not previously discovered those ships.

It was first time visiting those star systems, so I had not previously discovered those ships.

On a bit of a Gen Ship hunt myself, seen all 15 so far and was the 1st to discover The Demeter just wanted to know if the being within a 1000ls of the ship was still a thing or could they be located from the Star, question asked and answered, thank you.

On a bit of a Gen Ship hunt myself, seen all 15 so far and was the 1st to discover The Demeter just wanted to know if the being within a 1000ls of the ship was still a thing or could they be located from the Star, question asked and answered, thank you.

I can guarantee that you haven't seen "All" of the generation ships ;)

-Void

ANyone else having trouble actually finding the data log points on a gen ship right now? I'm at the Artemis, and the only target on my radar is the core of the Gen Ship itself. The data ports simply aren't showing up to scan.

Last edited:
ANyone else having trouble actually finding the data log points on a gen ship right now? I'm at the Artemis, and the only target on my radar is the core of the Gen Ship itself. The data ports simply aren't showing up to scan.

This is probably gonna come across a little insulting(not intended) but you did scan the ship first i assume?

Asked this question already but didn't really get the answer i was looking for so i'll give it another go. I know Generation ships that have already been discovered by yourself or another CMDR show up in FSS scans but do the Gen ships that haven't been discovered by anyone appear in FSS scans or do they still need to be found by getting within 1000ls or listening posts

How would you know unless you were the first to discover a generation ship post 3.3?

I visited them all yesterday, and each shows up as a persistent signal source in the FSS. If you don't identify them with the FSS, they only appear in the nav panel at 1000ls distance.

This is probably gonna come across a little insulting(not intended) but you did scan the ship first i assume?

Not insulting at all. I found the "problem" - I hadn't indeed scanned the ship (I don't rmemeber having to do that prior to 3.3?), and the reason why the data link scanner wasn't working to scan the ship was... I'd forgotten to deploy the hardpoints.

So, PBC&K then. [haha]

Asked this question already but didn't really get the answer i was looking for so i'll give it another go. I know Generation ships that have already been discovered by yourself or another CMDR show up in FSS scans but do the Gen ships that haven't been discovered by anyone appear in FSS scans or do they still need to be found by getting within 1000ls or listening posts

As JT442 stated, we don't know for sure, because no-one has reported finding one since 3.3 went live - the last one was found during the 3.3 Beta. But there's no reason to assume "ships never discovered by anyone" would be treated differently. As far as we can tell, the game doesn't record or make note of whether a gen ship has been visited by anyone or not, and Gen Ships themselves aren't Codex entries - only their logs. The one found in Beta just appeared as an FSS signal.

Not insulting at all. I found the "problem" - I hadn't indeed scanned the ship (I don't rmemeber having to do that prior to 3.3?), and the reason why the data link scanner wasn't working to scan the ship was... I'd forgotten to deploy the hardpoints.

So, PBC&K then. [haha]

As JT442 stated, we don't know for sure, because no-one has reported finding one since 3.3 went live - the last one was found during the 3.3 Beta. But there's no reason to assume "ships never discovered by anyone" would be treated differently. As far as we can tell, the game doesn't record or make note of whether a gen ship has been visited by anyone or not, and Gen Ships themselves aren't Codex entries - only their logs. The one found in Beta just appeared as an FSS signal.

I kinda figured that myself I was just wondering if someone had heard or seen something from fdev on the subject that maybe I'd missed, but thanks anyway

Hello
I very good read dude.... I realize late after the post, working on a theory...:)

Yes, launching 70,000 ship is somewhat of a bragging "big fish" story i think.... In saying that, it is a meaningless number anyway.... So we agree there was "a lot"....
Yes, we assume for cost reasons the "Generation Ship" stayed very generic in style with mods to Motors & Tech improvements to speed & Nav over time with War's sharply increasing this.... Fair to say....

If LAVE was founded in the year 2752 by a "colony ship" then What happened to that "Generation Ship" in theory on route there ?... Is it not fair to assume "the Dark Wheel" may have acquired one...? or some very naughty boys

If you were to acquire a generation ship or part there of and repair, refuel & update said ship....Then just how far would we get ? hypothetically of course in the last 555 years....?

If we were to model and start the GEN ship in the year 2200 and lets say every 50 years we increase the speed increments from low .2c (I have no idea what that is by the way) to the year 2600 high 1.5c in theory ??....
Then by Adding a "Sphere of Conquest" on earth-likes from SOL.... meaning the closest are founded earlier or first and so on... then in theory in working backward to SOL from LAVE in our time line... we have a plausible speed / time (555 years) for a hypothetical distance +/-
Should hypothetically very naughty boys had stolen one or two Gen ships....[smile]

Cheers Stu

I'm curious as to why you think a generation ship was on route to Lave?

.2c is .2 the speed of light. With non faster than light drives, you wouldn't be able to go faster than 1c, even getting close to that would be a big ask.

As for upgrading the gen ships for modern use, that was covered a little earlier in this thread & considered implausible, primarily due to their age. Metals still age in space, even though they wouldn't corrode.

Top Bottom